Another potential PC build thread

krawtch

What do you think about this potential build?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/rDhFLk

The video card is one I already own and use in my current build, it still ranks well and performs great so I see no need to replace it yet.

Went over on the wattage for the power supply in the event that I do decide to replace the video card or get any other additions.

My current PC still performs well for being over 4 years old, and I would probably move 8gb of RAM and the solid state drive over to add to the new build.

Mobo already has an onboard GB ethernet adapter

Wifi is terrible for gaming dont get it, unless you literally have no access to your router

Sound card not needed most speakers and headphones are 44hz unless you are a professional song maker and have specialty headphones and speakers.

Not 100% sure but i think your gpu will bottleneck your CPU maybe just slightly though

Did a little research and it seems a stock 6300 will bottleneck a 7970 but OC'd to 4.1GHz it will not 

amd fx processors suck

Overclockers dream though

Unless hes gonna be doing some hardcore high end gaming and rendering some sick 360 noscopes in 4k 60fps then he should get like a 4670k

every intel pc i've ever used was supposed to be incredible but has been a busted piece of junk.

That has nothing to do with the CPU being Intel. That has to do with the rest of it being shit. 

At the moment the FX line of CPUs is god awful for gaming. The single threaded performance is basically non-existant. It's a three (going on four) year old CPU that has the IPC of eight year old Core 2 Quads, and very few games actually utilize more than one or two cores -- and those that do still run better on Intel CPUs due to them having a significantly faster cores. Even a Haswell i3 will beat an FX8350 in many games, and perform the same in most others (but usually have better frame latency's -- which is a serious issue with the FX line). 

This would be much better:

If you can afford to spend more, then go with a 4690k + Z97 board + Hyper 212, and/or a better PSU (the PSU i chose is perfectly fine, but if you were going to consider picking up a second R9 280x, then you'd want ideally want a 750w psu -- such as the one you chose). I'd also recommend avoiding WIFI if you can since a hardline is still superior. 

/Sound cards are also worthless since onboard is just as good unless you happen to be rocking a pair of HD800s. 

//NICs are also useless since motherboards come with very good NICs these days

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($218.50 @ shopRBC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($56.75 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($58.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($67.67 @ DirectCanada) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Memory Express) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($110.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($58.14 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $805.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 20:48 EDT-0400

After going thru page upon page of intel vs amd research I've noticed that intel seems to be better for games, and after having spoken to people who used to own those trash heap intel PCs, they told me they were pre-built packages.

That was also in like 2001.

This is what I'm looking at now, if there's any improvements to be made then let me know.

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($175.75 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($394.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($19.99 @ Memory Express) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($37.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1429.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 22:25 EDT-0400

After going thru page upon page of intel vs amd research I've noticed that intel seems to be better for games, and after having spoken to people who used to own those trash heap intel PCs, they told me they were pre-built packages.

That was also in like 2001.

This is what I'm looking at now, if there's any improvements to be made then let me know.

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($175.75 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($129.98 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($394.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($19.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $1391.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 22:09 EDT-0400

Man you sure are going balls deep on that mobo

Are you installing windows via USB or DVD?

I was thinking of just making a disc image of my current HD and then restoring it onto the new one. Make the image on the SSD I've already got and then hook that up.

Get all that stuff on there real quick-like.

If it doesn't work I have DVD backups to restore windows as well

Archived