Scammer alert, my friend got highjacked, can he get items back?

Happysedits

So, this guy

http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198043190041?time=1435042800(time is 1 day before highjackation)

got 5 days ago highjacked by 

http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198134198743?time=1435215600(time is 1 day after highjackation, as you can see, he has new items, all from LFT's bp, stranges wich had a lot of kills :C)

proof of the trade http://i.imgur.com/uUT2yaO.png

he said that one day he went to sleep, and 2nd day he woke up and saw his account got highjacked

we have never done steam rep report or steam support ticked, so we dont know what to do

is there anything we/he can do? maybe he can get his items back someway?

File a steam support ticket with all of the proof you have, and make sure he has email confirmation turned on when he files the ticket.

Then wait a few months and pray. You can file a steamrep report if you like, if you think you have enough proof.

File it on fortress of gamers though, you'll get a much faster ban from them than steamrep.

File a steam support ticket with all of the proof you have, and make sure he has email confirmation turned on when he files the ticket.

Then wait a few months and pray. You can file a steamrep report if you like, if you think you have enough proof.

File it on fortress of gamers though, you'll get a much faster ban from them than steamrep.

what all proof can we get in included in the ticket?

we dont know what all information we need to show to prove its a highjack

Remember your friend should turn on email confirmation before he makes the ticket, there's some anecdotal evidence that this may help him retrieve his items, and there's no point in taking any risks. 

Remember your friend should turn on email confirmation before he makes the ticket, there's some anecdotal evidence that this may help him retrieve his items, and there's no point in taking any risks. 

thanks

actually, my other firend got highjacked few weeks ago too and he made 11 tickets so far, and nothing helped

http://steamcommunity.com/id/IcyGlacy/

i hope it will work

I presume Steam Support will only help if email confirmation was on at the time of the hijacking, if it was off at that time I doubt turning it on after the fact will help get their support.

As for getting your items back, Steam Support seems to have been inconsistent in the past about restoring backpacks, it is possible there is some behind-the-scenes stuff or some detail that people who have been denied help didn't reveal so it is not really clear what your chances are. Also it is worth mentioning that Valve's new scam FAQ says they will not give back items that have been scammed, however they make clear that scamming and hijacking are different things. If you were hijacked my recommendation would be to make clear to Steam Support that you were hijacked and not scammed.

Actually here is Steam Support's FAQ regarding hijacked items: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6633-TANM-9707

Your account must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for an inventory restoration:

* The account data must indicate that the account was hijacked

* The account has never received an item restoration in the past (item restoration is a one-time gesture)

* The items were removed from the account within 30 days of submitting a Steam Support ticket

* Trade confirmation was enabled on the account at the time the items were removed

* The account has reliable data (trade restoration might be denied if an account appears to have poor data due to proxy/VPN or public computer use, abuse reports, trades with hijacker or scammer accounts, or any other data point that is a concern to Steam Support Technicians)

So yeah, I was right, if you didn't have email confirmation on at the time of the hijacking then turning in on later will not help.

I presume Steam Support will only help if email confirmation was on at the time of the hijacking, if it was off at that time I doubt turning it on after the fact will help get their support.

As for getting your items back, Steam Support seems to have been inconsistent in the past about restoring backpacks, it is possible there is some behind-the-scenes stuff or some detail that people who have been denied help didn't reveal so it is not really clear what your chances are. Also it is worth mentioning that Valve's new scam FAQ says they will not give back items that have been scammed, however they make clear that scamming and hijacking are different things. If you were hijacked my recommendation would be to make clear to Steam Support that you were hijacked and not scammed.

Actually here is Steam Support's FAQ regarding hijacked items: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6633-TANM-9707

So yeah, I was right, if you didn't have email confirmation on at the time of the hijacking then turning in on later will not help.

I only told him this because I have heard of people who did not have email confirmation on still having their backpacks restored. I would not tell him something I wasn't sure of. 

Ernie the Penguin got his backpack restored after being hijacked without email confirmation, and I know of one other forum visitor who was in the same situation. If he turns it on before the ticket, it's better than not having it on at all.

Yes, I was hacked of over $2000 in items and it was restored by Steam Support in less than 5 days.

Some tips:

-Don't give up. I think the system is that if your ticket gets rejected by a certain mod, it will no longer go to that person. The key is single out every smart admin that'll reject your ticket and find the right one that'll accept it. DONT GIVE UP

that being said...

Create multiple emails and send them all under your username (I made 3 emails). Surprisingly my school gmail account was the one that got accepted, so this strategy works.

-Put in all the proof you can possibly find. Item inventory history, Sent/Pending offer history, certain chat with the person, the profile of the person, STEAMID64 and 32 and link of the person, just list of everything you can find and put it as an attachment.

-Try not to blatantly say you didn't have your email confirmation on and you want another chance. Act as if you're a young person who has no idea whats happening at the moment and you're begging for your items back. 

-Be smart, don't get the ticket readers pissed off, and hopefully you'll get your items back. Good luck!

oh, and p.s, sadly I heard from my friend that they're no longer helping out with phishing related issues AT ALL. Lets hope that's false since I haven't seen any threads on Reddit and such

thanks

actually, my other firend got highjacked few weeks ago too and he made 11 tickets so far, and nothing helped

http://steamcommunity.com/id/IcyGlacy/

i hope it will work

spamming only makes them stick more to their policy of not returning the items, they would get the hijacker trade banned though. And the updates has also been announced on gosugamers, so i think they are quite firmed on not returning stuff.

Does your friend actually have the chat where the guy posted the phishing link / some sort of download thing?

If so, leave a -rep, report on steam rep / FoG / steam and just move on.

Archived