New twist on an old scam - be aware.

Toughsox

Yesterday I received a report on someone offering an Autographed Helm of the Sol Guard card (a Dota2 item) 

As you are told to check the Steam Market, they are expensive octgmr.png

What I found out is, anyone can make these 'expensive' cards by simply using the Dota 2 version of a name tag.  These are WORTHLESS. 

It seems a new twist on the 'hey buy this trading card that I HAVE to have and I''ll give you X once you buy it" then the guy runs off.  

Just thought I'd make a little announcement to save the next guy any heartache. 

This should be in DOTA trading not TF2 sillysox

sillysox

this made me laugh harder than I should've

DOTA traders know that junk's worthless. The scammers are trying to sell those for TF2 items

1, I dont know jack squat about Dota and 2, this is being jammed on TF2s trader who dont have a clue what they are worth. Like Frisky said, the Dota players know how worthless these are. 

1, I dont know jack squat about Dota and 2, this is being jammed on TF2s trader who dont have a clue what they are worth. Like Frisky said, the Dota players know how worthless these are. 

Well its nice to warn them but i dont see why someone who dont know jackshit about dota will pay that much for something

I know jack shit about Dota 2's trading economy but I know that autographed items are, for the most part, worthless as hell.

True. This isnt relatively new, but something that should be watched out for. 

I've also fallen for this trick a few months back so please be careful 

I think each game has their own version of this

Sadly, novice traders starting either in general or in dota do fall for this when they are trading :/ 

I think each game has their own version of this

Sadly, novice traders starting either in general or in dota do fall for this when they are trading :/ 

The 2 people that I have been contacted on this both were very experienced TF2 traders. Sadly they saw the dollar signs and thought that way instead of doing more research. Still, it's a scam and I thought Id just alert you fine people and remind you.....if something seems to good to be true, it usually is. 

Now, leave me alone, I have to go find Salty Dong so I can add him.  :ph34r:

I want to say 'l8' but I'm afraid he'll add me after.

But yeah. Every game has their own version of this scam.

I want to say 'l8' but I'm afraid he'll add me after.

But yeah. Every game has their own version of this scam.

What you said.

TF2 had the "Australian" scam

CSGO has other things that I don't know

If anyone offers me dota i'll burn the items, ez

Thank god 90% of tf2 traders don't take Dota

however it's still good for a PSA to those who do take them and/or are blinded by profit to care

however it's still good for a PSA to those who do take them and/or are blinded by profit to care

You mean there ARE tf2 traders who take Dota items?

I don't care for CSGO items but I won't accept Dota 2 items, don't know what to do with them.

You can see who signed the autograph. These items are only expensive if they're signed by popular dota players. 

What you said.

TF2 had the "Australian" scam

CSGO has other things that I don't know

I nearly fell for that scam until I realized "oh hey, its just a normal strange"

You mean there ARE tf2 traders who take Dota items?

I don't care for CSGO items but I won't accept Dota 2 items, don't know what to do with them.

idk why people are too quick to judge dota items. I bet you guys dont know the profit I made from that one trade involving the walking dead game a couple days ago. I was surprised I even got to him first. There was event that 'lol good luck with that' comment on his trade. 

Also, some of those autographed items really do cost a lot. Though it highly depends on who the autographer is ofc

idk why people are too quick to judge dota items. I bet you guys dont know the profit I made from that one trade involving the walking dead game a couple days ago. I was surprised I even got to him first. There was event that 'lol good luck with that' comment on his trade. 

Also, some of those autographed items really do cost a lot. Though it highly depends on who the autographer is ofc

Honestly, Dota is WAY TOO RISKY to profit for TF2 traders. Some are daring and make good profit but most don't want to deal with it. Once again, Dota 2 items can be VERY risky investments and may never pay off.

idk why people are too quick to judge dota items.

<_>

We don't play the game, and Dota is hate by almost alot of people out there...?

Honestly, Dota is WAY TOO RISKY to profit for TF2 traders. Some are daring and make good profit but most don't want to deal with it. Once again, Dota 2 items can be VERY risky investments and may never pay off.

While the risky thing is somewhat true, as long as you are smart enough not to buy the newer items, profit is still highly possible. Quick flips are always the best investments and will pay off majority of the time. You just gotta know what should and shouldn't touch. But yeah, I understood your point. 

<_>

We don't play the game, and Dota is hate by almost alot of people out there...?

It's more popular than csgo.

I'm just saying a lot of people throw away some of the best and easiest opportunities. My bp spiked about $50 the other day. I can vouch that it's worth the time and effort to research this up.

Didn't read entire trade.

Unfortunately, this scheme is pretty old, the only reason we don't know about it massively (like phishing links) is because it was used in dota trading, recently(well, not) they started to use it in csgo with the same method.

Hell, it was even in steam trading. Aka "Buy me this 50$ rare 1:1 on scm emoticon and you'll get this knife\unusual\etc, i can't use scm(complete lie)" Of course this item was placed by an alt. Pretty obvious what happens when victim buys it.

Archived