Help me get back into trading.

TheVenomWith1n

So i'm in a bad situation right now.

So I had this smoking tyrant's helm and was looking for hats to offer on and saw that a c9 connoisseurs cap was within my range and I thought it was a nice looking pyro hat. I started trying to 1:1 it, but no one agreed, so eventually I got desperate and overpayed a bit for it. Recently the bp.tf price was lowered, which makes it even harder to sell. I want to keep it because it's an awesome hat, but I want to get back into trading as well. What should I do? The only thing I've done so far was make an auction for the hat and some other expensive items on bazaar, but I doubt I'll get an offer that's actually worth it.

Should I just keep my hat, start fresh by buying something off the market, or try to sell it anyway at a loss?

you should sell your hat for keys as fast as you can and invest in craft hats. they are going up slowly

More effort than it's worth.

Honestly, it wasn't the best idea selling a 2nd Gen nice Solly hat, for a 3rd gen low tier pyro one.

But as long as you've got an unusual, you're not out of trading. There's THOUSANDS of low tiers. I'd look for either ones with ranges, with the low end being your's, or outdated ones.

It's mainly going to rely on how much effort you're willing to put in, and how good you are at negotiation.

Cut your losses and sell it for pure only

Not worth it. If he wants to get back into trading, working up is the best way to go. He'd have to QS and at a extremely low price to get anywhere

I'd just put into http://sweetstakes.tf/ and go

IF you lose, you start over. If you win you start a lot farther

This may not be advice

I might actually do that in a few weeks or so if it's really that hard to sell...

More effort than it's worth.

Honestly, it wasn't the best idea selling a 2nd Gen nice Solly hat, for a 3rd gen low tier pyro one.

But as long as you've got an unusual, you're not out of trading. There's THOUSANDS of low tiers. I'd look for either ones with ranges, with the low end being your's, or outdated ones.

It's mainly going to rely on how much effort you're willing to put in, and how good you are at negotiation.

I guess i'll try that. I'm not the best at negotiating, but it might work if I get lucky. Thanks for the advice!

Go to Cs go

It would seem strange converting to csgo without actually owning it.

Some people don't know that cloud 9 is 3rd gen, go to a nooby unusual server like wantedGOV and sell it there saying selling nice hearts pyro unusual *hat name* etc

I might actually do that in a few weeks or so if it's really that hard to sell...

I guess i'll try that. I'm not the best at negotiating, but it might work if I get lucky. Thanks for the advice!

then buy Cs go trading is too hard now

Your gonna loose it to like d0 , Wayne , Markham , or the One. Like you have like almost no chance like 5% < depending how much their betting.

So i'm in a bad situation right now.

So I had this smoking tyrant's helm and was looking for hats to offer on and saw that a c9 connoisseurs cap was within my range and I thought it was a nice looking pyro hat. I started trying to 1:1 it, but no one agreed, so eventually I got desperate and overpayed a bit for it. Recently the bp.tf price was lowered, which makes it even harder to sell. I want to keep it because it's an awesome hat, but I want to get back into trading as well. What should I do? The only thing I've done so far was make an auction for the hat and some other expensive items on bazaar, but I doubt I'll get an offer that's actually worth it.

Should I just keep my hat, start fresh by buying something off the market, or try to sell it anyway at a loss?

The auction option is pretty good actually.   I've sold a lot of lower tier hats for pure in auctions.  Of course, they were sold at basically quicksell prices, but it wasn't like anybody was paying full market value for these hats anyway.  Personally, I will take 20 keys over a 30 key 'difficult-to-sell' hat any day.  Re-invest those 20 keys into something easier to sell.   

With all that said....in unusual trading there is this notion of trading up, and there are all these traders with their stories how they started with a shit hat (like your hat - no offense) and now they have a Purple Energy Crones Dome or something like that, and they never put anything extra into the game.  This is possible of course, but it's incredibly time consuming, you can't make any mistakes and you need to be somewhat lucky.  In my experience, in order to really trade up (i.e. make considerable profit), you need a hat that people actually want.  In general terms, those hats are 1st gens, and not just any 1st gen either.   Energies/Beams/Scorching and Burning on a decent hat ... those are the kind of hats that people will overpay for.   Then you need to make sure that your hat is relatively rare on the market.  For example, you can have a clean GE Hustler which is a really nice hat, but if there are 10 other clean GE Hustlers on the market, it will be quite difficult to make any sort of profit, because you can bet on the fact that at least 3 of the other 10 guys will sell their hat a much reduced price.  

New effects can be a great way to profit as well, but it's very risky.  Generally speaking, when new effects are first released, they will sell really well, but only for a limited amount of time.  After that, demand will quickly drop and you may find yourself sitting on a hat that's now extremely difficult to sell.   

Archived