No one paid your full unusual price in Earbuds...

AiR²³

... so why do you think people would pay full price in keys, now?

What exactly makes you happy about the shift to keys and your backpack rising in value due to using old earbud to key ratios?

Hardly any demand for unusuals will stay hardly any demand for unusuals, no matter if you ask for full price in Earbuds or Keys.

(Not talking about the elite 300key+ unusual circlej***)

You struggled to sell your mid tier unusual for 50 keys when it was listed at 50, what makes you think people will pay 80 now just because it is listed at 80?

What exactly makes you happy about the shift to keys and your backpack rising in value due to using old earbud to key ratios?

Hardly any demand for unusuals will stay hardly any demand for unusuals, no matter if you ask for full price in Earbuds or Keys.

You struggled to sell your mid tier unusual for 50 keys when it was listed at 50, what makes you think people will pay 80 now just because it is listed at 80?

THIS. Buds being "kill" are nothing more than a representation of the Unusual market! Switching to keys won't change anything! People stopped buying buds because the market lost interest in Unusuals, what will switching to keys do to that?! 

THIS. Buds being "kill" are nothing more than a representation of the Unusual market! Switching to keys won't change anything! People stopped buying buds because the market lost interest in Unusuals, what will switching to keys do to that?! 

You seem to be an unusual expert mate.

People stopped buying buds because they serve no purpose, and because people are morons who panic if they see anyone doing anything. 

The switch to keys won't suddenly increase the value of unusuals, but it does provide a stable currency for which to buy/sell unusuals, which will add to an increased stability in the unusual market. 

If you left prices as they were, everything would need updating.

If you change prices to keys, everything would need updating.

Both aren't great, but one is much more accurate in the current climate.

I agree with the part about the increased prices.  However, I think there are a few things to consider: 

- Everyone always says they don't follow backpack.tf, but everyone actually does, unless you're talking about unpriced hats (obviously), 1/1s and rare god tiers.  But once you're into rare god tiers anyway, you're dealing with a whole other caliber of trader who probably didn't need bp as a guide anyway.  Point is that most people follow bp blindly and that will not change now that we've gone to keys, even with the price increases.  

- I wouldn't say there's "hardly any demand" for unusuals, that's just being overly negative.  True, there probably isn't as much demand as 1 year ago, but there are also sooo many more hats now vs. one year ago.  Just think, in one year (2014), Valve released unusual taunts, 2014 halloween effects and EOTL effects.  I think it's more fair to say that there's slightly decreased demand and highly increased supply.  

- Part of the reason for the decreased demand was the price of unusuals which was calculated in buds.  E.g.  investing 5 buds into a hat isn't smart when that hat used to cost 60 x $1.75 and now it's worth 45 x $1.75.   This devaluation was entirely due to buds behaving more chaotically than they ever did before and keys rising faster than they ever did before.  In other words, buds caused instability in the unusual market and in turn made them seem as bad investments.  

Optimistically, this will bring stability to unusual trading, since keys are the most stable item in TF2 (in terms of paypal value at least which is what it all comes down to at the end of the day anyway).   So now maybe people won't be so afraid of investing in an unusual since they will know that currency speculation will not negatively affect the price of their hat.  

EDIT:  There's also the fact that there aren't just more hats, it's also that most of those hats are mediocre at best.  That was the same story one year ago with overpriced 3rd gens.  Good hats still get good offers.  

Sold my Unusual for full price in keys yesterday.

gg

(people forget that the prices of the Unusuals are based off of actual solds)

I'm very salty because my Knifestorm Le Party Phantom was 15 buds when I owned it a few days ago, now it's 37 buds :'(

Sold my Unusual for full price in keys yesterday.

gg

(people forget that the prices of the Unusuals are based off of actual solds)

This. Prices are determined by what sells, and what is unsold. (ex: unsolds at 50 keys, multiple sales at 48 keys, insta-sell at 45, etc.)

I mean, you won't get full-price if you have the patience of a fly. If everybody sold below the suggested price (based on real sales) then the "sold at" value would just continuously lower until everything was 1 scrap.

Archived