The thing about Amazon/PSN/iTunes cards

Chris★

As I see more and more people cashing out and selling stuff for real cash I decided to create this reflection topic.

Currently we have a bunch of options to sell items for cash:

- Amazon gift card

- iTunes card

- PSN card

- PayPal

- Bitcoin

- Others!?  :ph34r:

For most of people Bitcoin is out of question, and PayPal isn't that good as you are limited to selling for trusted dealers with good rep and there aren't many out there, but that's better than being charged back, and man... PayPal is well know for that.

So, what we have left? The cards. This can be a good thing (if the buyer goes first of course) as it's hard to do a chargeback using this model, but, is it true?

I recently contacted Amazon Support to get some info:

[ ... ]

AMAZON: Thank you  Now, can you please give me the gift card code?

ME: ****-******-*****

AMAZON: Thanks! I'm checking the information, just a minute please.

ME: ok

AMAZON: Alright, so, I see the gift card has been claimed on your account, the charge was already made, so you have that credit available for any purchase you'd like to make.

AMAZON: If by any chance the person who purchased the gift card wants to dispute the charge with the bank, that won't affect your gift card, because that would be between the bank and the customer. Once a gift card is claimed and used as well, it can't be refunded.

ME: So I need to use a part of the gift card too, not only claim it?

AMAZON: No, I'm saying it works both ways. 

ME: oh ok

AMAZON: And it was already claimed, so no worries 

So, does it really mean that a Amazon gift card is 100% chargeback safe? Well, at least the support says so. I tried the Sony online support too and the guy said the same thing, "After claimed the code can't be 'charged-back'". Have anyone found it otherwise? I don't buy anything from iTunes, so iTunes card is a no-no for me, but it may follow the same logic, I guess.

In short: If you want to trade with people with no rep, or low rep and don't want to risk yourself, ask for gift cards and the buyer should go first.

If the account of the buyer isn't shady and he has a reasonable number of games and hours, but doesn't have a "big" rep it can mean that the guy simple doesn't do many cash trades, doing the trade via gift card is another layer of security for you.

That's what I think based on Google search and contacting the online support, maybe a more experienced cash trader can enlighten us with some wisdom...  :D

Yes gift cards are possible but they aren't viable. You can't send specific amounts and you can only trade with people in the same region as you. Also 90% of people don't want to buy music, sony games etc. Most cash traders want the cash for trading and most other people would like freedom with their cash.

If you are really worried about getting chargebacked then don't trade with them, simple as that. Bitcoin isn't all that hard to get and a bank transfer is also possible.

Yes gift cards are possible but they aren't viable. You can't send specific amounts and you can only trade with people in the same region as you. Also 90% of people don't want to buy music, sony games etc. Most cash traders want the cash for trading and most other people would like freedom with their cash.

If you are really worried about getting chargebacked then don't trade with them, simple as that. Bitcoin isn't all that hard to get and a bank transfer is also possible.

Well... A bunch of people that plays TF2 live in the US, and you don't need to be from US to buy an amazon gift card online in their site. You can buy pretty much everything on Amazon these days. Yes, for people outside US there isn't much to do with an amazon gift card. Yes, iTunes is BS for me. My main focus would be amazon (mainly) + psn, as tons of people out there, because who pays for music? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"If you are really worried about getting chargebacked then don't trade with them" - It's easy to say, you stop playing tf2 and want cash out, but then you are limited to trusted dealer that wanna pay way low just because "they can", that's not very good. That's why using gift cards can be a good option.

Well... A bunch of people that plays TF2 live in the US, and you don't need to be from US to buy an amazon gift card online in their site. You can buy pretty much everything on Amazon these days. Yes, for people outside US there isn't much to do with an amazon gift card. Yes, iTunes is BS for me. My main focus would be amazon (mainly) + psn.

"If you are really worried about getting chargebacked then don't trade with them" - It's easy to say, you stop playing tf2 and want cash out, but then you are limited to trusted dealer that wanna pay way low just because "they can", that's not very good. That's why using gift cards can be a good option.

But amazon is overpriced as fuck for most stuff.

But amazon is overpriced as fuck for most stuff.

I don't think so. Comparing Amazon vs other online stores and local stores here where I live is Amazon win 90% of the cases. Anyway, the main focus here is to really confirm if gift cards are chargeback free and safe. Amazon price, PSN price, usefulness of the cards, and stuff like that is personal.

For some, gift cards are pretty much sh*t, because they can't pay food or rent with it, but for others, they will use this cash to buy products, buy new games, things like that, as their job or maybe their parents (if they live with them) pays for these obligatory things.

I used to buy a whole bunch of stuff on Amazon, it's usually cheaper especially if factoring in sales tax. However some items are insane compared to instore prices.

Can you redeem an amazon.com gift code on amazon.ca / .co.uk?

No, To claim a code in .ca, .co.uk, .jp, .com.br, ."whatever", you need to buy the specific code for that store. With international credit cards that's easy, all Amazon online stores sell their cards online via credit card. The buyer can be in China, but if he has an international credit card, he can buy a gift card from amazon.com

For .ca would be: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004M5HIQI

For .co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006AUF6X0

Email delivery is the best choice as you can put custom amount of money.

Archived