What do you believe shapes history more...

Grimes

51 members have voted

1. 1. Options

• The actions of the individual
    • Economic and political powers
    • Both

Personally I believe a combination of both, leaning towards the individual.

It is fairly subjective, but i'm interested in what you guys think. 

The choices and acts done by an individual lead to the use of economic and political power and the use of economic and political powers invokes a response from individuals. You cannot have one without the other.

Honestly I think it all comes down to physics in the end.  But let's assume for a moment that free will exists.  Individual actions really only matter insofar as they are reflected by the masses.  So, lacking a better alternative, I'm going to have to go with political and economic powers.

The turbulence of the Cold War was caused by both, it's my most favourite era

You say it like it's a fictional episode of Breaking Bad or something.

Also, since the beginning of history, events of history is made by the people in power, not very individualistic. I would say history remained like that till the American Revolution. That would defiantly be the beginning of when individuals had power.

Posted · Hidden by A Delicious Cashew, December 22, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by A Delicious Cashew, December 22, 2014 - No reason given

Fuck is this shit

why would you even comment

You say it like it's a fictional episode of Breaking Bad or something.

Also, since the beginning of history, events of history is made by the people in power, not very individualistic. I would say history remained like that till the American Revolution. That would defiantly be the beginning of when individuals had power.

Alexander/Philip had no major influence on the rise of Macedon? Genghis Khan? Attila the Hun? All people who significantly affected history but without them their nations fell apart.

Economical and political powers remains my answer but these days an individual has less economical/political power than the aristocrats/nobles of old times.

I think war plays a part in how history played out b/c Hitler made us think about how we think something is good when others view it as bad 

Alexander/Philip had no major influence on the rise of Macedon? Genghis Khan? Attila the Hun? All people who significantly affected history but without them their nations fell apart.

Economical and political powers remains my answer but these days an individual has less economical/political power than the aristocrats/nobles of old times.

There's a book by Ben Elton called "Time and Time Again" (fiction), focuses on the ability of the individual to change the course of history. I'm willing to bet you would enjoy it as much as I did.

Archived