Why Dont Game Devs Play Their Own Game?

Uncle Dong

Ok im pretty sure everyone know that game devs dont even play their games But why?

I can understand that they have been play testing it for who knows how long but i know people with OVER 9000!!!!!!!!! hours on TF2 thats 9000 times more than Robin Walker

Robin Walker has more hours on DOTA 2 than fucking TF2! like whaaaat Do game devs not like their own games or something? or just bored after working on it for so long?

The project director of Fallout New VEgas actually released a mod that he uses for his personal playthroughs; http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=60505

The short version of the changelog is that it makes the game way harder.

After spending all that time working on a game, I can understand why devs would not want to play it as much. Part of the fun of games is discovering new things and the learning curve. After all the hours poured into a game, the developers don't really have either of those things; they know what to expect and are very familiar with its systems. This is less of a big deal with multiplayer games that rely on skill-based teamplay, but it doesn't mitigate it completely.

When you create something you see it very differently than your audience. You are much more familiar with its flaws and intricacies, so you don't get the same experience that your audience does.

Its their job. If you work on it 40 hours a week, would you after you get home go and play it? Many wouldn't. At CA some people do play their Total War games, but not all. They also do live streams and they're not all very good which shows they don't play too often. But a few are really quite good

Archived