Unusual pricing needs to shift away from buds to pure keys as base currency

Red Inferno

The bud should be the afterthought conversion while the key needs to be the base number so when we get these bud shifts where the bud is down around 2-3 keys with a lot more time for it to go down further it's just screwing with everyone who holds an unusual for sale. The bud is also VERY likely to become more unstable and potentially crash a bit harder with Steam Community Market now working for promo's. The stranges lost their rarity when they hit SCM and pretty much everything has crashed some much more than others irrelevant of gameplay changes. We need to get this out of the way to make pricing a better resource. A 2 bud unusual at 19 keys should not change from that 38 keys until a price suggestion to go lower due to lack of sales. If it was worth 38 keys 2 days ago what does the bud price have to do with the desire for that unusual now? The earbud's value is mostly intact due to backpack.tf's value of it and ease of transmission. It is rather apparent that other such options are likely to show up quite soon and we might easily see the bud crash if Steam Wallet's can be increased into the thousands and freely traded.

The bud should be the afterthought conversion while the key needs to be the base number so when we get these bud shifts where the bud is down around 2-3 keys with a lot more time for it to go down further it's just screwing with everyone who holds an unusual for sale. The bud is also VERY likely to become more unstable and potentially crash a bit harder with Steam Community Market now working for promo's. The stranges lost their rarity when they hit SCM and pretty much everything has crashed some much more than others irrelevant of gameplay changes. We need to get this out of the way to make pricing a better resource. A 2 bud unusual at 19 keys should not change from that 38 keys until a price suggestion to go lower due to lack of sales. If it was worth 38 keys 2 days ago what does the bud price have to do with the desire for that unusual now? The earbud's value is mostly intact due to backpack.tf's value of it and ease of transmission. It is rather apparent that other such options are likely to show up quite soon and we might easily see the bud crash if Steam Wallet's can be increased into the thousands and freely traded.

The whole SCM might change things, BUT up until now, bud prices havent affected unusual pricing very much. Unusuals tend to stay at a constant bud price. There were also a lot more stranges in non-trading accounts than there are buds. 

I'd say that it's much better that we wait for a while to see exactly what happens with the Bud update before changing things.

Not to mention, wasn't it a big point of contention that we wanted the system to be changed to store prices in buds rather than flat USD prices? Because to do this would be pretty hypocritical.

Earbud value remains the same due simply to demand. A buyer would have to sell 18.5+ keys currently to buy one bud off scm (and plenty do sell at that price). Traditionally for any item on scm that has been around the upper limit of the trade value.

I'd say that it's much better that we wait for a while to see exactly what happens with the Bud update before changing things.

Not to mention, wasn't it a big point of contention that we wanted the system to be changed to store prices in buds rather than flat USD prices? Because to do this would be pretty hypocritical.

It wouldn't be hypocritical if buds being on the SCM added a new level of instability. The reason why unusuals needed to be priced in buds was because unusuals tended to follow buds--i.e. they didnt fluctuate much as buds did. But, if unusuals and buds lose their synchronized behavior then unusuals should be priced in whatever they become synchronized with. 

It wouldn't be hypocritical if buds being on the SCM added a new level of instability. The reason why unusuals needed to be priced in buds was because unusuals tended to follow buds--i.e. they didnt fluctuate much as buds did. But, if unusuals and buds lose their synchronized behavior then unusuals should be priced in whatever they become synchronized with. 

The price of buds could very easily go to 14 keys and I am kinda expecting 14 keys by the end of October. The lead up time on these bud drops anticipating the desire for keys is rapidly increasing. The price of buds started diving a month before the summer sale and almost 2 months before the halloween sale. What is to say they will go back up until after January? What is to say they will go back up? There is still a lot of uncertainty in tf2's future beginning with updates, less promotional items, less valve involvement in general and the potential of a Source 2 Tf2. 

The price of buds could very easily go to 14 keys and I am kinda expecting 14 keys by the end of October. The lead up time on these bud drops anticipating the desire for keys is rapidly increasing. The price of buds started diving a month before the summer sale and almost 2 months before the halloween sale. What is to say they will go back up until after January? What is to say they will go back up? There is still a lot of uncertainty in tf2's future beginning with updates, less promotional items, less valve involvement in general and the potential of a Source 2 Tf2. 

Regardless, even with all those drops, unusuals still retained their bud price. 

Also, buds will very likely retain their value and go back up again after Halloween for the same reason they always do -- people will always buy them up assuming they'll go up and actually end up driving them up in the process. 

I prefer keys as the main currency for tf2

everything should be priced following the key prices

it would be easier to convert whatever is traded for items to keys at their given value at the time of trade.

than have to suggest/update 1000 different items after buds drop or rise just for the sake of accuracy

pricing only with keys as currency will result in less outdated prices when something affect buds prices.

example

if i trade a hat now for 1 bud 3 keys with buds at 17 k the suggested price should be 21 keys if buds rise to 21 keys and someone trade a bud in the meantime for the same hat i wouldn't have to suggest a new price for it cause I would have to canvert the bud at the keys price of it witch is the same as the previous past suggestion.

this will result in a far more up to date and trustworthy bp.tf

this works the same with high tier unusuals low tier unusuals or any thing is priced with keys.

usd is not fine for pricing items in a global market as its not a global currency unless we get auto currency converting on the site that is.

I prefer keys as the main currency for tf2

everything should be priced following the key prices

it would be easier to convert whatever is traded for items to keys at their given value at the time of trade.

than have to suggest/update 1000 different items after buds drop or rise just for the sake of accuracy

pricing only with keys as currency will result in less outdated prices when something affect buds prices.

example

if i trade a hat now for 1 bud 3 keys with buds at 17 k the suggested price should be 21 keys if buds rise to 21 keys and someone trade a bud in the meantime for the same hat i wouldn't have to suggest a new price for it cause I would have to canvert the bud at the keys price of it witch is the same as the previous past suggestion.

this will result in a far more up to date and trustworthy bp.tf

this works the same with high tier unusuals low tier unusuals or any thing is priced with keys.

usd is not fine for pricing items in a global market as its not a global currency unless we get auto currency converting on the site that is.

And as an overall it would create a more stable pricing mechanism because the value of the key rather defined is all across the market and even across markets(csgo or dota). At the time you calculate against what was gotten and get a more absolute price.

I guess nobody remembers when one could find keys for under $1.40 all day.

I do but the methods by which those keys entered the market no longer exist for the most part. 

Archived