Explaining prices of almost everything ...

Hypnotoad

Hi,

I'm quite new to trading in TF2 even if I'm not new at all to TF2, I've read a lot of things on trading, I don't understand where does the price of objets comes from ....

- 1 key = 8.44 ref = 1,7€

- Virtual relity headset = 1.66 ref = 7,2€ (just an example)

What the ... ??? Okay let's assume this hat has no value since everybody can have it.

Let's forget about real money, it seems to be not related at all, lets consider things only in ref/key/bud :

- earbud (TF2 prepurchase on OSX): more or less 80,000 pieces actually on the market = 19 keys

- bill's hat (L4D prepurchase): more or less 175,000 pieces actually on the market = 6 keys

Okay I start to understand, if the only way to have an item is trade, the more it's rare, the more it's expensive :

- Lumbricus Lid (Worms prepurchase) : more or less 65,000 pieces actually on the market = 7-8 ref

- War Head Guenuine (Trine2 prepurchase) : more or less 20,000 pieces actually on the market = 1.33 ref

That's just two example from many many many many others. If you have a look at items in details (price, how many exist, obtainable or not) you'll realize that the problem is not all those low prices, it's seems that bill's hat and bud are completly overrated (with some few other items). I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, and not the first to be lost with this strange economy system.

Seriously can someone explain where does the value of items comes from ? :huh:

The  price you're talking about on the virtual reality headset is the from the mann co store, which charges outrageous prices for the items it carries, which are quite numerous. You're best to trade up than buy items from the mann co store.

The prices for currency items are established because thats what people are willing to accept them as. For example, one US dollar is really just a piece of paper, if you look at it objectively. It's because everyone is willing to accept it as 1 dollar that it is worth one dollar. Earbuds are worth 19 keys because people are willing to pay and accept them for nineteen keys. 

Random items like the lumbricus lid and the war head or whatever it was are worth what they're worth because that's what they were selling for when backpack.tf slapped a price on them, and now they'll stay relatively in  that area, because that's now the common trading point. In a lot of ways, this website leads the market. If backpack.tf didn't exist, I wouldn't know what a lumbricus lid was worth and most likely would not pay six or seven refined for one. In that way, backpack.tf establishes that item's price. Now that backpack said it was worth 7-8 refined, people will try to sell it for that, and people will buy it for that because that's what they expect it to be worth.

TL;DR: Items are worth what theyre worth because people will buy them for that and because backpack says that's what they're worth.

Key in Mann Co: $2.50

Key at market value: $1.85-1.90.

That's a big difference when you start needing several hundred.

Mann co supply store prices do not count for anything. 

- earbud (TF2 prepurchase on OSX): more or less 80,000 pieces actually on the market = 19 keys

- bill's hat (L4D prepurchase): more or less 175,000 pieces actually on the market = 6 keys

The reason for that is the same reason why real world cash holds value. It has been pre established and the majority value those items as good as the keys you will receive from reselling. 

At the time of their release they were one of the only all class items. With buds being the only all class item with particle effects, people desired them and wanted to wear them. There was plenty of demand and because of trade window limitations they received a specific set value. 

Older items hold more value because of established value and existing demand. Items that are not very good looking and not desired by the majority drop in value even if there a less than an other item. The amount of people that want it, and are willing to pay more determine the value an item will keep. 

The prices for currency items are established because thats what people are willing to accept them as. For example, one US dollar is really just a piece of paper, if you look at it objectively. It's because everyone is willing to accept it as 1 dollar that it is worth one dollar. Earbuds are worth 19 keys because people are willing to pay and accept them for nineteen keys.

Before 1976 you could have exchanged your dollar for gold. Nowadays it has absolutely no real value and that's why China will rule the world soon (Totaly completly extremely summarized)

Anyway thanks for all those explaination it's a bit clearer now, confirming what I was thinking. :D

Archived