[PSA] Tips for doing a PC on a rare or highly collected unusual

Jester

I figured I'd post some of my methods to PC more rare hats, maybe more can add their tips.

Finding previous trades of a hat that's currently on Outpost:

1. Click on the hat
  2. Click on the previous owners
  3. Search the previous owners trades for info.
  4. Go to www.TF2PriceCheck.net and check there.  Sometimes users post what they sold for or linked trades.

Finding previous trades of hats that aren't on Outpost:

1. Since I can't justify a premium membership I go to www.unusual-hat-search.com and search a hat. This will give you a list of owners. FYI, sometimes this list isn't complete or up-to-date.
  2. Click on the owner's steamrep link.
  3. Click on their outpost link.
  4. Follow the steps above

P.S. This method will also alert you to hats that are with banned users or inactive traders which is nice to assess the rarity of the hat

Finding likely trades:

1. Use a trade date on Outpost to get and approximate time of trade. (i.e. one week, one month, etc.) or use www.tf2items.com to find an approximate trade date
  2. Using the backpack history feature on backpack.tf search for the time a hat changed ownership
  3. Compare the buyer's history before and after the trade date and the seller's bp before and after. Check the item histories to see what was exchanged. Generally I just look at the big ticket items.

Add a previous owner and ask!

-I rarely do this b/c I don't like to randomly add ppl and pester them with questions.

Share your tips and tricks!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived