[PSA] How to Help Identify Quicksell Buyer Trades

Baloo

This seems to be a reoccurring question as to what exactly constituents a quicksell buyer and how one may be able to identify a quicksell buyer. To start one must realize the intent of a quicksell buyer and the easiest way to do that is through a definition.

Definition:

Quicksell buyer - a trader that knowingly intends to pursue buying an item for below current market value due to an expectation that it will be relatively easy to resell the item for more and therefore make a profit.

Most quicksell buyers do not openly state on his or her trade that he or she is a quicksell buyer since most would be deterred from selling to someone who simply will turn around and sell it for more to someone else. This does not mean that quicksell buyers do not leave evidence in order for someone to spot that a trade is for quicksales based on how a trade is setup.

Some of the most common traits of quicksell buying trades are listed below:

• Stating that he or she is able to buy many of a certain item (A regular trader who simply wants to use the item would have no reason to state that he or she would like to buy more than one with some rare exceptions such as painting a set)
  • Having a stock counter for the amount of refined/keys/buds the trader currently owns (A regular would have no reason to state how much currency they have at any given time because they most likely are only looking to buy that one item and have set aside a certain amount in order to pay for it)
  • Having a counter for the number of the certain item bought (A regular trader has no need to state or brag how many of a certain item they have bought because they only wish to buy one, however, it is important not to mistake these people with collectors who may also keep counters. Collectors are more flexible in price and also tend to be friendlier since money isn't the first thing on their mind)
  • Having a link that will directly add you to his or her friends list (The link will look like this: steam://friends/add/76561198065701002 please do not click this as it will add you to my personal friends list)
  • Using excessive color or BBCode on his or her trade (much like flowers trying to attract bees, these pretty perks means that the person has spent the time to properly set up shop and wait for weeks to lure countless sellers to come to his or her trade and add them to sell)
  • Focusing in on one specific type of item such as paints, tags, taunts, etc (This is sort of like a person specializing in a certain field buying only one type of item and therefore becoming an expert in the field in order to study the market and better figure out how to maximize profits overtime)
  • Previous people saying added yet the trade is still open (This means the person is actively buying multiple of the item and wishes to continue buying that item)
  • Buying multiple items on the same trade (This type of trader usually goes for multiple different items that they deem to be in high demand though they may not fall under the same type such as all being paints)
  • Both buying and selling on the same trade (This is usually restricted to novice quicksell traders, but this type of activity allows one to easily see that it is possible to sell an item for a higher amount than what you would be selling your item off for to begin with.)

Question: Why should quicksell buyers not be used as evidence for suggestions on backpack.tf?

Answer: Quicksell buyers buy for a lower price knowing that they can resell the item for a higher amount. If a quicksell buyer is willing to pay a key for an item worth 1.5 keys then that means it would not be a good idea to suggest lowering the value of that item to 1-1.5 keys or even 1 key since these sellers are only there to turn a profit and are fairly confident that his or her price will ensure one. Quicksell buyers are actually a great indicator that a price is still strong when multiple people are still paying just slightly under market value in order to sell for current listed market value. However this does not always mean that quicksell buyers can never be used as proof. If a quicksell buyer gets so overwhelmed with a certain item or appears to have a high level of traffic flowing into his backpack, then it would be a start on a possible suggestion in order to lower the price of an item though you would need to follow up on the buyers side in order to see if traders are having difficulty selling for the currently listed suggested price range.

"much like flowers trying to attract bees"  Wha...we don't do that......pshhhhhhh

I currently have 0 key(s)!
Please list the hat and effect, and I will get back to you!

Effects I don't want:
Massed Flies
Green Confetti
Purple Confetti
Orbiting Planets
Nuts n' Bolts

Hats I don't want:
Magnificent Mongolian
Buckaroo's Hat
Dread Knot
Geisha Boy
Coupe D'isaster
Copper's Hard Top

Looking to buy ANY hats and ANY effects that are NOT on my "Don't Want" list!   ‎‫‪â®
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Paying ~20% less than backpack.tf price (4-10 keys off usually)-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

How to calculate price by yourself! :D
   Step 1: Take low side of hat price (Ex: 1.2-1.5 buds, pick 1.2)
   Step 2: Take that price times 80% (Ex: 1.2 * 0.8)
   Step 3: Take that times the current bud price (Ex: 1.2 * 0.8 * 28)
   Step 4: You now have the end result of what I would pay!  (Did you get 26.88 for your answer? Good!)

Note: In the end, I will decide whether to round up/down, or I may offer keys+metal.
      Note: If the price is in keys, you do not need to do step 3.
Congratz everyone, you just learned how to read and how to math!

On outpost, you can also usually tell just from a glance because of this:

wall of 8 ref/keys => wall of 8 promos / paint cans

• Like 2

Wha...there are her quickbuyers.

Also, you forgot that you will often find the text "OFFER PRICE IS FIRM" somewhere in the notes......although you obviously didn't find that text did you prospect.

• Like 1

Terms as "prices are firm" are a good indicator too. And some other things but somewhat distracted me. D:<

The first point should simply be Price--if someone is buying something for half it's listed value or a key off a multi-key item that is your best indicator of legitimacy.

Question: Why should quicksell buyers not be used as evidence for suggestions on backpack.tf?

Answer: Quicksell buyers buy for a lower price knowing that they can resell the item for a higher amount.

That's why you have ranges. If Backpack.TF were to only repport trading prices of actual transactions, quicksells should be the low end. But it isn't BP.TF records what their opinions think it's a fair price. I think opinions have no place to modify prices if you want to be faithful to reality.

It's a market. If you like your money less than the other guy's unusual, you buy unusual. If you like your unusual less than the money, you sell it. Who said the only true traders are trading because they like pixels? That's an ungranted presupposition. It's a maket and if BP.TF refuses to represent it accurately because of personal preferences and people making excuses why should it be trusted as a record of transaction prices? You have the "no true trade" fallacy at work here to try to legitimize ignoring low prices for unusual transactions, why is that i don't care.

It's not like people have to sell their stuff for low prices. People sell because they want something else, and they want that more. Again, it's how free markets work.

• Like 2

That's why you have ranges. If Backpack.TF were to only repport trading prices of actual transactions, quicksells should be the low end. But it isn't BP.TF records what their opinions think it's a fair price. I think opinions have no place to modify prices if you want to be faithful to reality.

It's a market. If you like your money less than the other guy's unusual, you buy unusual. If you like your unusual less than the money, you sell it. Who said the only true traders are trading because they like pixels? That's an ungranted presupposition. It's a maket and if BP.TF refuses to represent it accurately because of personal preferences and people making excuses why should it be trusted as a record of transaction prices? You have the "no true trade" fallacy at work here to try to legitimize ignoring low prices for unusual transactions, why is that i don't care.

It's not like people have to sell their stuff for low prices. People sell because they want something else, and they want that more. Again, it's how free markets work.

probably

Um...I don't think anyone is saying most traders do it for the pixels.

Profit or gain mainly.

I have used the range to do reselling.  I have regularly bought the sharp dresser at 1.66 and sell at 2.  Probably a couple dozen.

The first point should simply be Price--if someone is buying something for half it's listed value or a key off a multi-key item that is your best indicator of legitimacy.

The reseller offers well bellow range.  If you want to use a reseller offer use it this way.  The reseller will stay away from items they don't think they can resell so if you don't see many reseller offers in the search, thats one piece of info.  A, many resellers will offer around the same for items and they won't be too low because then u don't get stuff to resell.  Ur competitor who offer a little more than u makes the profit.  So, if you see a large group going below the main group's offer that might indicate the item sells but not well at the regular price.

• 4 weeks later...

So far I've only seen sadistic traders who are buying items 30% below the price. In their trades there's something like 'I will only buy the item for 30% lower than the price on backpack.tf. I'm still quite new to trading, at the end of the day I thought, well TF2 trading community is full of s***.

So far I've only seen sadistic traders who are buying items 30% below the price. In their trades there's something like 'I will only buy the item for 30% lower than the price on backpack.tf. I'm still quite new to trading, at the end of the day I thought, well TF2 trading community is full of s***.

Whats wrong with quickbuyers?

Without them the economy would cease to exist. 

Whats wrong with quickbuyers?

Without them the economy would cease to exist. 

I under 5-10%, but 30% on items like Unusuals which is around 10-15 keys deducted in price.

I under 5-10%, but 30% on items like Unusuals which is around 10-15 keys deducted in price.

5-10% isn't worth the time.

Why would i invest 200$ if i can only get 20$ profit? It just doesn't pay. 

When i (and most people) buy backpacks/bulk items, i pay between 30-50% discount depending on the items and the seller.

Again, theres nothing wrong with quickbuyers. 

@Faybee

People will only trade if they think they will be better off from making a trade whether it be immediately better off or in the long run. The reason for this is because everyone trades in order to maximize utility (essentially happiness). Therefore the only people that sell to these quickbuyers are people who do not have the time to wait for a sale and need the metal/keys now in order to buy something they want more. This means these quickbuyers are providing a service that may be frowned upon, but is helpful in an economy.

Also, are you mad at Walmart, or Home Depot, or Lowes or Hell, any business?....The majority of retail stores mark up everything 100-300% percent.

Go to Gamestop, they'll give you $0.15 for a used game, and throw it on their shelves for $15.....

Or restaurants, a restaurant near me buys its hamburgers for $4, and then sells them for $12.

ALL economies revolve around large profit margins. It just doesn't pay to do business otherwise.

Also, are you mad at Walmart, or Home Depot, or Lowes or Hell, any business?....The majority of retail stores mark up everything 100-300% percent.Go to Gamestop, they'll give you $0.15 for a used game, and throw it on their shelves for $15.....ALL economies revolve around large profit margins. It just doesn't pay to do business otherwise.

Stop making a flame war.