Backpack.tf Reputation

Liddojunior

How do the admins and Brad (and bp.tf users) feel about all the negative rep Backpack.tf has been getting lately?

And how it became a scapegoat for key price increase.

And the accusations of being in cahoots with "rich" players (aka long) and making deals to raise the price of keys.

Do you guys worry it might damage the site and users will stop using the site as a legit pricing guide.

And any plans to overhaul the unusual pricing? The site does have the reputation as having bad unusual prices. And it might be because of the link to $$

How do the admins and Brad (and bp.tf users) feel about all the negative rep Backpack.tf has been getting lately?

And the accusations of being in cahoots with "rich" players (aka long) and making deals to raise the price of keys.

Do you guys worry it might damage the site and users will stop using the site as a legit pricing guide.

And any plans to overhaul the unusual pricing? The site does have the reputation as having bad unusual prices. And it might be because of the link to $$

Solution 1: lock long from key suggestions.

Solution 2: get more suggestions on unusual hats. Cancer tier hats (like up to smoking) normally are priced very well, very few complaints there, it is the high ones that are off.

Isn't scrap.tf and tf2finance blamed too?

people only like pricing sites if they agree with the prices of their items.  it's inevitable.

that being said, I think banning long from key suggestions was a big step in the right direction.  I'd love if we could cut down on the harassing comments next.  It has gotten unbearable.

I think I saw Brad saying somewhere that traffic has gone nothing but up. Most of the people who say they don't trust bp.tf still use it anyway for their pricing.

Solution 1: lock long from key suggestions.

Solution 2: get more suggestions on unusual hats. Cancer tier hats (like up to smoking) normally are priced very well, very few complaints there, it is the high ones that are off.

Isn't scrap.tf and tf2finance blamed too?

Yeah people hate on tf2 finance pretty bad too, I just wish it would use a bigger sample size of key sales :|.

People keep saying they're fed up with backpack.tf, yet there they are everyday commenting that they're fed up with backpack.tf

A Lot of my usual trade servers call it Shitpack.tf ect, this is becoming worse and worse as well, as spreedsheet knows a bad rep is hella hard to wipe away.

people only like pricing sites if they agree with the prices of their items.  it's inevitable.

that being said, I think banning long from key suggestions was a big step in the right direction.  I'd love if we could cut down on the harassing comments next.  It has gotten unbearable.

I wanted to make a discussion about the amount of harassing comments, it's like the political parties imo, mudslinging everywhere little to no true facts discussed early on. I remember in early 2007 there was a campaign ad about on of the candidates not being able to use a computer, it didn't even mention policies.     

Long is already locked out. There's a thread in SPUF about how the current suggester kingofheart might be next long of something like that.

I don't know if scrap.tf or finance is getting blamed as well. All I read is long and bp.tf threads and comments on SPUF.

PPL who blame long are just followers agreeing with whatever they see on reddit..... Since he clearly wasn't benefiting from his key suggestions--so it wasn't manipulation.

As for unusual prices, most are relatively accurate, BUT the problem is that the unusual market is very subjective. And in general no 2 people will say exactly the same thing. So listing definitive prices will always take a lot of heat. Plus the fact that a lot of non-OP trades do take place--yet, OP is the only source of proof (for obvious reasons). Also, cash is also regularly traded with unusuals making it even harder to track trades. Ultimately its all about patience, luck, and having the hat at the right time.....If you happen to have an unusual that someone else wants you'll be able to sell it relatively easily, or if its bumped at just the right time, etc... So unusual trading isn't as straight forward as non-unusual trading, and it has a lot of aspects which can't easily be tracked/fluctuate often, making unusuals difficult as hell to price.

An easy fix to remedy this situation: Put up a big disclaimer that MUST be accepted before viewing the unusual price guide:

"Unusual trading is highly subjective, and unusual prices can fluctuate at any time. These are just to provide a general idea of a hats worth based on recent trades/offers. Do NOT take any of these prices to be 100% set in stone, as unusuals do fluctuate, and their are no "set" prices.

If you think a price is wrong, find proof and make a suggestion to correct the inaccurate price. Backpack.tf/unusual is a user-based price guide, so we rely on your contributions. Don't just complain about the inaccuracy, try and fix it."

An easy fix to remedy this situation: Put up a big disclaimer that MUST be accepted before viewing the unusual price guide:

"Unusual trading is highly subjective, and unusual prices can fluctuate at any time. These are just to provide a general idea of a hats worth based on recent trades/offers. Do NOT take any of these prices to be 100% set in stone, as unusuals do fluctuate, and their are no "set" prices.

Needs to be added.

I just want the keys/buds change and it affects unusuals fixed lol.

So more warnings from mods?

Don't just complain about the inaccuracy, try and fix it."[/b]

This so much. Tired of the complainers on outpost on high effect hats

JJJon once raged at reddit on a suggestion. He got 6 dislikes, ans the item had only 30ish votes when it was accepted.

It'll be easier if everyone who sold unusuals. Would make suggestions on the hats they had just sold. Because it is hard to find out what they go for on servers and private trades. And i dislike making unusual suggestions because you have to dig around a lot and use a calculator on unusual offers

It'll be easier if everyone who sold unusuals. Would make suggestions on the hats they had just sold.

Why would anyone want to do that? They hav ridded of their hat, they do not want to see it again nor increase the price for the next guy nor decrease the price because they made a bad trade.

Why would anyone want to do that? They hav ridded of their hat, they do not want to see it again nor increase the price for the next guy nor decrease the price because they made a bad trade.

Thats what i do. If i sell an unusual out of range I change it. But i usually sell within range, because working with bp.tf range is easy. 

Thats what i do. If i sell an unusual out of range I change it. But i usually sell within range, because working with bp.tf range is easy. 

I do too. The average unusual trader finds 5 minutes of gathering proof and making a suggestion is too hard.

Agreed. People just don't seem to understand how variable the worth of something can be when you can count the number of them in existence on one hand.

TF2Outpost's reputation is everyone's a quick seller or lowballer/highballer etc. Yet it's still the #1 visited TF2 website.

Like everything, a minority of people who are unhappy will usually be the most vocal. People need to realize that the price of keys had been underpriced for many many months. 2 ref for a key? Think about it for 2 seconds here. You can get 2 ref by simply idling 2 weeks, which you don't even need to work for. The key has a retail value of $2.49. You can get 26 keys if you idle every week of the year at a minimum, and most likely more if you get a couple hat drops or other rarer/new items like paints.  You should all think back at how lucky you were to buy keys at 2 ref and move on. The economy will not crash, it will simply stabilize once these currency items reach a certain plateau. 

At one point, people will stop buying keys and the price of keys will stabilize. For now, my guess is that keys will stop raising once keys are around 6 ref. The higher the price of keys are, the less idle farms will be interested in farming. It'll just be so much work to convert this refined metal into keys, and then selling these keys for money. The higher the price of keys are, the lower the payout is for these farmers.

I've been dealing with the "bad rep" for a while now, as there are always members of other communities who dislike what we do. However, their arguments are usually not very strong and consist mostly of ad hominim attacks or begging the question. It's hard to have a logical conversation when the other parties resort to fallacies.

Being the scapegoat was inescapable. People always find something to blame. Pre WWI, anarchists were to blame for political instability. Pre WWII, Nazis were to blame. Cold War, Communists were to blame. Now, terrorists are to blame. There will always be something for someone to blame, and since we've become pretty popular recently, the blame has shifted from spreadsheet to bp.tf.

The idea of being in cahoots with rich players is another tendency of human nature. People are always interested in conspiracy theories and diabolical plans. They project their fears of something into a complicated arrangement of not very probable variables, in order to calm their own doubts. Needless to say, if any of them got to know one of the admins on a better level, they would know that we're not in cahoots at all. I, for one, rarely ever trade. I have 1 key in my backpack, and I raffle a ton of stuff away. I'm by no means rich, and I do not care about wealth. I just collect things, like usercrafted hats, strange weapons, and green confetti. I literally have nothing to gain from key price increases; rather, I'm hurt by them because it means expensive things (like salvaged stranges) become all the harder to obtain.

Reputation is too subjective for me, and it depends on a lot of factors. Overall though, I think we're doing a decent job on keeping (at least the non-unusual) items up to date. In regard to unusual pricing, I think there's some truth in our prices not being the best. 50% of the time, a price is truly too high or too low (although nobody ever complains about having a price that is too high). We don't have the manpower to go through every single unusual all the time and keep things up to date. Suggestions by traders would be of immense help to us. However, other times traders, especially the rich ones, think "I can get more for this hat than other people because I'm a better trader." They'll try to sell a hat for a price that is higher than the suggested, and higher than recent sales. Then, when someone comes along and doubts their trade, they just say "take your bp.tf shit and get out of here." NEVER have I seen a seller on outpost say "bp.tf's suggested price is too high, because recent sales have been lower. I'll sell for 1 bud lower than the current price, because it's the correct price" They will just say "quickselling for XX keys, lower than bp.tf price!" or just sell for the suggested price, knowing it is high. Then when people claim "that hat isn't worth your BO value," the seller just laughs and dismisses it. It is also the case that some people knowingly lowball an unusual, because our price has yet to be updated. Doing so protects the offerer (in some way) since their offer is "backed" by our price guide. And thus, we're called lowball.tf or etc. Such double-sided biases are a lose-lose, and it is all we can do to fix the prices when appropriate.

The only problem I've had is people who add me to buy key for 4.66 to even 6 ref when I'm not even selling them. I agree and say "are you sure tou want to pay 6 re when they are 4.33?" they agree, I send them the trade, they call me a scammer and delete me. That really showed me. It showed me what kind of people are hating on the site (not to generalize) so it doesn't really bother me.

Unusual traders hating us doesn't bother me either. I only trade low tier ones and the prices on byf help me a lot + checking outpost trades.

I try to ignore most of the hate comments on key suggestions because they are claims with nothing to back them up. People claim long sucks our dicks or he pays us and that's why we pass his suggestions when the truth is, personally, I don't enjoy his presence at all. (sorry long, you earned it).

Tl;dr: I'm not affected by the hate as it comes from people who don't deserve my attention.

The only problem I've had is people who add me to buy key for 4.66 to even 6 ref when I'm not even selling them. I agree and say "are you sure tou want to pay 6 re when they are 4.33?" they agree, I send them the trade, they call me a scammer and delete me. That really showed me. It showed me what kind of people are hating on the site (not to generalize) so it doesn't really bother me.

why would anyone bother to take the time to do something so pointless.  holy confirmation bias

I can't argue much with the people that say the unusual prices suck. Most of them are pretty bad. But the people that complain about everything else just make me laugh. Id bet alteast 90% of all the non-unusual items on this site have the same or close to the same price as any other price site. That is unless the guy running the site still needs to sell the item.

What really gets me is when I'm on a trade server and someone is bitching about how bad the site is, then they use the price check plug-in that gets prices from backpack.tf. I can't help but laugh at them.

Archived