What could Valve do that could help the TF2 economy?

A Cyan Stone in Mustard

We all know Valve does a lot of shit that people are unhappy about, and I couldn't really find a thread for this so I decided to make one.

I think Valve should make the older effects have the same chance of being unboxed as the newer ones, cause honestly I'm never gonna unbox until Valve does that or make better 4th gen effects.

They should also retire more hats, like the Geisha Boy and Hard Counter, etc.

It would be nice to buy/sell Refined Metal on the SCM.

Maybe even put up a sale for keys so that they can go down for once.

What do you think Valve should do to help the economy? (inb4 give alex his items back)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

They should also retire more hats, like the Geisha Boy and Hard Counter, etc.

No, no more retirements.  It only creates tons of highballers, also new players are always coming in every day in this community, retirement won't be the good thing to do.

No, no more retirements.  It only creates tons of highballers, also new players are always coming in every day in this community, retirement won't be the good thing to do.

Maybe just retirement for the unusual versions, cause really, we don't need to unbox dozens of shitty heavy hats a day.

I feel I've discussed this ad nauseum, but the tf2 economy is the strongest it's ever been. For example, keys would not sell at 7.33 if the average trader could not afford it. 

Being said, they've done a decent amount to stimulate it. MvM and the recent crates will help to make the company a profit and keep traders interested. 

If they wanted to stimulate things further, they'd give ref more use. Perhaps make some hats only craftable via ref or something. The use of them in the new strangifiers is nice, but it isn't enough to put it in demand again to stop the inflation. 

I could go on, but basically things are going well and there is no danger to the tf2 economy. 

Valve should NOT equalize effect unbox rates. Its the old effects, which add some stability to the currently chaotic unusual market, which keeps it going so strong. If all effects were being unboxed in mass than there would be no "safe" effect and people would ultimately not want to keep any real amount of money tied up in unusuals. 

Valve needs to stop doing so much in one update, they need to spread the updates out and allow the economy time to settle. The biggest issue right now is the mess that is robo and third gen effects, which was caused by the hype of robo effects and instant crash of that hype when third gen effects got released. Robo effects are only beginning to stabilize and actually start being decent sells again (partly due to more and more people becoming reasonable with pricing).

• Administrators

Valve needs to stop doing so much in one update, they need to spread the updates out and allow the economy time to settle. The biggest issue right now is the mess that is robo and third gen effects, which was caused by the hype of robo effects and instant crash of that hype when third gen effects got released. Robo effects are only beginning to stabilize and actually start being decent sells again (partly due to more and more people becoming reasonable with pricing).

Exactly. Excellent point there sir.  B)

They really need to fix their existing problems than keep adding new crap and causing more problems.

1) enable some form of link verification like outpost not only for the steam browser. Csgo players are getting phished left and right atm

2) FIX THE DAMN SERVERS. Their servers are down. This annoys players to no end. Why update when pur servers keep breaking?!

3) fix hat glitches already. It's been screwing around with the economy long enough, random hats being glitched together making random unusuals shoot up and drop...

Naw I love gameplay more than money.

ur not the only one, but you still care if you are into trading like we are

If they wanted to stimulate things further, they'd give ref more use. Perhaps make some hats only craftable via ref or something. The use of them in the new strangifiers is nice, but it isn't enough to put it in demand again to stop the inflation.

Putting time limits on the strangifiers helps though, as it makes it so people need to spend the metal rather than just sitting on them. Though, they really should have spaced out the items rather than just dumping that many chem sets on us at once.

Perhaps adding some new, cheap recipes? Like the ability to combine a MvM part with a nominal amount metal for a random part of the same quality? Or a reformulate Chemistry Set recipe for the older stuff to put some of those sets asking for a S. Kritzkrieg to better use than backpack filler.

Reduce the unbox rates for the new effects.

Take away random drops or reduce them.

Discontinue new effects cos they are fail anyway :P

Discontinue new effects cos they are fail anyway :P

If they did then they would flunctuate in price and the market would crash.

Put the damn keys on sale for 2 weeks and they'll go back to 2.33

That would pretty much destroy the economy.

Put the damn keys on sale for 2 weeks and they'll go back to 2.33

They'd probably go right back up afterwards anyway

If they did then they would flunctuate in price and the market would crash.

the market wouldn't crash from valve simply discontinuing new effects and putting newer ones out there. fluctuations in price are not bad for a market. maybe bad for an individual but not for a market as a whole.

the market wouldn't crash from valve simply discontinuing new effects and putting newer ones out there. fluctuations in price are not bad for a market. maybe bad for an individual but not for a market as a whole.

discontinue vs. come out with new effects 

But, if they discontinue them it would just be hell since people are going to hype them up even more so the already overinflated prices are going to go even higher. 

discontinue vs. come out with new effects 

But, if they discontinue them it would just be hell since people are going to hype them up even more so the already overinflated prices are going to go even higher. 

that is neither here nor there in terms of the overall market. Whatever hype there would be only serves to stimulate the market. Whether or not some people try to ask ridiculous amounts. It means that those people who aren't will have an easier time selling

Personally i think they should discontinue new effects for half year or less depending on how fast new effects stabilize again, release new effects but don't make them 95% unbox rate, balance old effect unbox rates out a bit more.

Make old crates drop all strange so people encouraged to unbox old effects again.

Put a cap unboxing unusuals, aka their can only be 5 unusual hat unboxes of each hat each year per effect.

Should increase the odds to unboxing a burning boa or tough muffs etc to since they haven't unboxed yet which is lame if you ask me.

Their so many unusual hats possibilities these day's but when you see like 14 cloud 9 views unbox in short amount time then thats very lame, any effect should be rare on every hat.

I'm sure their can be much worse examples.

But the way i see it look at the viewfinder 95% is new effects mostly only 5% is old, talk about lame.

It should be 25% old effects 25% robo effects 25% new effects more or less.

Personally i think they should discontinue new effects for half year or less depending on how fast new effects stabilize again, release new effects but don't make them 95% unbox rate, balance old effect unbox rates out a bit more.

Make old crates drop all strange so people encouraged to unbox old effects again.

Discontinuing and then recontinuing....bad, very bad idea. That will make people worried about all old (presumably stable) effects and they'll want to dump them all and turn them into cash/buds/keys because who knows what valve will do. 

They don't need to add stranges to old effect crates, if they do then there would, literally, be no reason to unbox anything else--at least until the old effects crash as well. The benefits of the old effects make up for the shit in the old crates. 

Archived