Questions for the Mods

F  CHARLIE

This discussion thread is meant to solicit opinions from the moderators.  I mean no harm and want thoughtful answers and opinions.  I am hoping that all mods share their thoughts and that if anyone else has a general question similar to these, please add but no hateful/raging question.

1. What specifically do you feel you need to see in a suggestion?  What proofs do you feel carry more weight?  I can be different for each mod and I am hoping that in the future we can standardize proofs a little to cut down on your work load.

2. Given the dramatic events surrounding the key trade price increase, how have you changed the way you moderate?  What have you learn from the experience?

Thank you for your time.  I hope this will be insightful.

1. I'm looking for volume most of the time in proof--are buyers and sellers both represented? Are there enough examples that outliers aren't swaying the results? Did the suggester cherry-pick the proof?. Covered most of the common problems I see right here.

2. Key prices have only changed how I moderate key suggestions--protocol gets broken for key suggestions, rather than being changed to accommodate them (and the main thing I'm referring to here is the vote count).

1. Like what cleverpun said, volume of both buyers & sellers would help in a new price suggestion. If the suggestion is to decrease the value, then it has to clearly show that it is readily available for the price, if it is to increase in the value, successful trades & willing offer for that price has to stand. 

2. Key price suggestion is just like any other change in price suggestion, but It takes more time moderating. I mostly test if it sells or buys for the price myself. Running through outpost pinning down key trades can be a pain, so I'm very thankful for anyone that puts in the effort to find links!

1.  Proof is the most important

2. I ban Long because of warnings.

p.s I'm secretly not a mod shhh

This discussion thread is meant to solicit opinions from the moderators.  I mean no harm and want thoughtful answers and opinions.  I am hoping that all mods share their thoughts and that if anyone else has a general question similar to these, please add but no hateful/raging question.

1. What specifically do you feel you need to see in a suggestion?  What proofs do you feel carry more weight?  I can be different for each mod and I am hoping that in the future we can standardize proofs a little to cut down on your work load.

2. Given the dramatic events surrounding the key trade price increase, how have you changed the way you moderate?  What have you learn from the experience?

Thank you for your time.  I hope this will be insightful.

1. A suggestion must have good proof. The best proof is a completed trade, other proof is offers that are both being considered by the seller and that the buyer actually has the means to. For example, if someone offers 2 keys for a burning TC, that is invalid because a seller would never consider it. If a buyer offers 200 buds for it, and the buyer doesn't have the means to carry out the transaction, it is again bad proof. Volume of trades is also very important, as 2 sales for a hat at 3.33 ref while 200 sales occur at 2 ref, obviously does not warrant the high price being 3.33.

I do a good amount of research for most suggestion, and usually the more downvotes a suggestion has, the more research I do. I feel that since so many people disagree with the suggestion, there must be some reason for it (if nobody specifically comments on why).

Bp.tf's classifieds, which is a smaller sample size than tf2outpost, can be a good indication that a price is too high, if there are willing sellers for lower. It's not a good resource for raising prices, however.

2. Keys are just another suggestion, and are handled as such. However, it does throw a grain of salt upon the validity of votes. While I usually try to stick with the way users vote, such suggestions like keys show that voters can be swayed by personal feelings and other factors, and vote not for what the price is, but what the desired price is. Most price raise suggestions have been negatively received, while decrease suggestions have been positively received, even if the proof for a price decrease is very lacking.

I wish tf2outpost would let you search for greyed out stuff again.

I remember when you could search for greyed out items, proving normal items was a piece of cake, you didnt even have to look at the provided proof. You just searched it on outpost and looked at all the sold ones and got a good idea of what the item was selling for.

I wish tf2outpost would let you search for greyed out stuff again.

I remember when you could search for greyed out items, proving normal items was a piece of cake, you didnt even have to look at the provided proof. You just searched it on outpost and looked at all the sold ones and got a good idea of what the item was selling for.

I overwhelmingly agree.  Its what made the Wrapper, Fortune and the other recent Genuines easy to get proof for.  They were often sold together.

Moderators are doing a great job! http://backpack.tf/vote/id/515e3c864bd7b82a25000009

-241 and accepted. good job letting the community decide, and not dictating it like the spreadsheet!

-241 seems like amazing but 42% in favor of the price paints a different picture. Currency suggestions are quite incredible: usually the people who are not in favor of the change will spam that link to all the friends and tell them to go downvote. Those who are in favor will simply vote. That affects the vote ratios greatly.

That said, let's look at another number where the angry people don't play such a major role. Based on the contribution points of the people who voted on that suggestion, 54.35% were in favor of the change. Now that's quite higher than the 42% above.

I hope this helps clearing things up.

That said, let's look at another number where the angry people don't play such a major role. Based on the contribution points of the people who voted on that suggestion, 54.35% were in favor of the change. Now that's quite higher than the 42% above.

Again showing down-voters don't read whats in the suggestion.  Wouldn't the world be interesting if they showed as much passion about other common items being voted on?

I hope this thread doesn't get derailed by negativity.  I appreciate a Mods point of view.

Archived