"Cancer" effects?

DropKickFred.

So, currently, I'm saving up on my steam account to buy a mass amount of keys, to trade in for buds, so I can get into unusual trading. Can anybody tell me some effects, hats, etcs to stay away from? Thanks and have a great day.

Nuts 'n Bolts, every Robo effect except antifreeze and the purple version fo it.

some people also consider steaming/smoking and peace sign or logo cancer, but most people don't hate 'em

Every 1rst gen effect is good, some halloween effects are also cancer some are good.

When you see a trade with a hat that has been up for a bit and have 0 offers, the hat either suck, or the effect is bad

All new effects other than Antifreeze, Roboactive, Green Black Hole, Time Warp, MAYBE Cloud 9, and MAYBE Disco Beat Down.

Otherwise, stick to told effects. Only the ones I listed above are worth your time ^-^

Nuts 'n Bolts, every Robo effect except antifreeze and the purple version fo it.

some people also consider steaming/smoking and peace sign or logo cancer, but most people don't hate 'em

Every 1rst gen effect is good, some halloween effects are also cancer some are good.

When you see a trade with a hat that has been up for a bit and have 0 offers, the hat either suck, or the effect is bad

agreed, logo and peace are great, but steaming and smoking is kinda cancer imo

most cancerous to least cancerous:

overclocked

memory leak

killawatt

terrorwatt

power surge

electrostatic

aces high

dead presidents

demonflame

hellfire

darkblaze

phosphorous

sulphurous

disco beat down

miami nights

cloud 9

halloween 2011

chiroptera venenata

poisoned shadows

sbtwc

green black hole

time warp

roboactive

antifreeze

halloween 2012

rest of the effects 

what you should stick to:

energies (purple/green)

fetties (green/purple)

plasmas (vivid/searing)

circling (heart/logo/peace sign)

flames (burning/scorching)

just go with whatever hat you like and don't mind keeping for a while

(also I know a guy who is selling a burning tree for 7 buds pure, gets really good offers and is not in the least cancerous)

disco beat down

miami nights

cloud 9

DBD is less cancerous than miami IMO.

overclocked

memory leak

killawatt

terrorwatt

power surge

electrostatic

aces high

dead presidents

demonflame

hellfire

darkblaze

phosphorous

sulphurous

disco beat down

miami nights

cloud 9

halloween 2011

chiroptera venenata

poisoned shadows

sbtwc

green black hole

time warp

roboactive

antifreeze

halloween 2012

rest of the effects

what you should stick to:

energies (purple/green)

fetties (green/purple)

plasmas (vivid/searing)

circling (heart/logo/peace sign)

flames (burning/scorching)

You kidding me? Hellfire effects and Bat effects are great!

demonflame

hellfire

darkblaze

phosphorous

sulphurous

disco beat down

miami nights

cloud 9

the pentagram effects should be up with the chiro effects, sulph+phos arent even in the same grocery isle

You kidding me? Hellfire effects and Bat effects are great!

DBD is less cancerous than miami IMO.

question is "what is cancer?" as in "what sells less easily?", not "what is less good-looking?"

the pentagram effects should be up with the chiro effects, sulph+phos arent even in the same grocery isle

i'll check that later

question is "what is cancer?" as in "what sells less easily?", not "what is less good-looking?"

i'll check that later

The Halloween effects sell better on certain hats. They sell bad on hats that are cancer in the first place.

What exactly constitutes a "mass amount of keys"?   "A mass amount of keys" takes on a whole new meaning when you're getting into unusuals as opposed to just normal (stranges, miscs and craft hats) trading.  E.g. say you invest in 80 keys (that's at least $180 on SCM), you'll be able to buy 4 buds.  4 buds is nice, but it's not going to buy you anything outrageous.  If we're only talking 40 keys......you're already getting dangerously close to having to invest in a hat for which there isn't that much demand. 

There are so many pitfalls....it's not just effects, it's hats.  And there's no way for you know the valuation of unusual hats versus craft hats if you're just getting into it.  Best example is the KE.  You can get a craft KE for 2 ref or something like that, but in unusual form, it's pretty much as valuable as it gets.  The reason why i mention this is because if you're only paying attention to effects, you'll end up with Burning Dixie.  Great effect, shitty hat.

Then there's BP.tf values.  You need to be able to tell when they make sense and when they don't.   For example, an Aces High Cloud Crasher is worth 4 - 4.5 buds according to BP.  I can tell you with certainty, the chances that anybody will buy that hat at that price is slim to none.  

I really encourage you to add an experienced trader to your friends list and just have a chat about unusuals and trading before you go any further.  

If you are going to "get into" unusuals you should be getting into quickbuying them which is what I assume you mean. You can profit from almost any hat. I made 2 keys on a dead presidents plumbers pipe (which is a horrible hat). The fact is that any hat can be sold for 12 keys (a rare few are below that). This mean you can quickbuy them on the low end for 10 keys. Bang, profit. Many people call hats cancerous because they can't get out of the hat what they put into it. This is because they overpaid. This happens because most of the hats available are overpriced. Hats transact all the time a a good price but the key word there is "transact". When you do a search for a hat what you most commonly find are the "unsold" hats. I hope that helps a little.

Am I the only one around here that doesn't think DBD or Miami Nights look that bad?

disco beat down is very nice, miami nights is not very nice imo

People here are mostly referring to sellability. They're both super cancer for that (miami boa lolz)

disco beat down is very nice, miami nights is not very nice imo

I like both Miami Nights and Disco, but MN is a little garish and doesn't go well with as many hats.

Am I the only one around here that doesn't think DBD or Miami Nights look that bad?

I think DBD is a very nice effect.  You have to see it in-game to really appreciate it.  That said, it's still overvalued.  It belongs probably somewhere in the energy zone in terms of pricing, but it seems most people who are selling DBD think it's equal with Scorching/Burning (it's not and never will be).  

Miami I don't really care for, but I can see how someone else would really like it. 

Archived