Ten truths (and lies) of unusual trading

Gren

For those who are considering getting into unusual trading, here are 10 things that you will most definitely encounter on a daily basis: 

1. Quicksells

What they say:  "Quicksell!!!! Need kayzzzz fsat!!!! unboxing Brunin TC LOLZR!!!

What you think it means:  "Oh, cool, maybe I can get a decent deal on a hat here."

What they really mean: "I've reduced my hat by 1 key from the BP.tf price.  Since the price is technically reduced, this qualifies as a quicksell."  

2.  Reading Comprehension

What you say: "No summer effects please. All other offers are welcome."

What you really mean: "No summer effects please. All other offers are welcome."

What they think it means:  "Please offer only summer effects.  I won't be happy unless every offer on this trade has the words "Miami", "Disco" or "Watts" in it."  

3.  Subterfuge

What they say: "I don't go by shitpack.tf prices."

What you think it means: "....hmm....ok?"

What they really mean: "My hat is valued at 3 buds on backpack.tf and yours is valued at 4.5.  Clearly this is going to be the best deal ever for you so you should definitely accept."

4.  Temper Tantrums

What you say:  "Sry - really not interested in that hat/effect.  Good luck selling though."

What you really mean:  "I'm not interested in trading my hat for yours.  Please offer your wares elsewhere."

What they think it means: "FUCK YOU!!!!! I WANT YOUR HAT!!!! THIS IS FAIR TRADE!!!  YOU MUST ACCEPT!!!! MY MOM ALWAYS GIVES ME WHAT I WANT AND SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE!!!"

5.  Lowballs

What you say: "B/O 2 Buds."

What you really mean:  "Looking for around 2 buds, would negotiate provided the other guy has decent manners."

What they think it means: "2 Buds?  So basically my professional killstreak shovel covers that."

6.  Themed

What they say:  "This hat is themed because my grandma wore a hat that looked kinda like this and she liked to play cards.  Hence, this hat is themed."

What you think it means:  "...wtf?"

What they really mean: "I think you're even dumber than me so hopefully you'll fall for this blatant fabrication." 

7.  Highballs

What they say:  "DBD Hat.  20 Buds."

What you think it means: "How in the fuck is this hat worth 20 buds when a scorching is only 10?"

What they really mean: "I paid way too much for this hat and now I'm trying to make a profit.  A lobotomy may actually prove beneficial for me."

8.  Quickbuys

What you say:  "Have pure, looking for quickbuys."

What you really mean: "It's a bitch to get pure for unusuals.  I am willing to pay all pure for your hat if you give me a reasonable discount."

What they think it means: "So what you're saying is that you're looking to buy hats at the exact BP.tf price for all pure." 

9.  Paypal Scammers

What they say:  "Do you accept paypal?"

What you think it means:  "Scammer"

What they really mean: "How do you say "recall" and "you go first"  in Russian?."

10.  Misplaced Sentimentality

What they say:  "I love this hat and I don't want to let it go.  You better blow me away with your offer."

What you think it means:  ".....eye-roll...."

What they really mean:  "You have to pay twice as much because I have a ridiculous emotional attachment to this mediocre hat."

Gud post, but some things are rightfully themed, like a Blizzard Tree, the theme there is obvious

Gud post, but some things are rightfully themed, like a Blizzard Tree, the theme there is obvious

or like a circling peace sign reggaelator

I lost it at 9

I saw a guy the other day who said KaW on his hat was themed because his hat was god-tier, and Zeus was a god <--- genius right?

#10 is what I'm doing right now, but hey, they arent getting my hats anywhere else, they better pay high >:3

Solid.

Unusuals, still the most annoying item to trade in.

lol not by a long shot

That place belongs killstreaks, promos and collectors

lol not by a long shot

That place belongs killstreaks, promos and collectors

promos?

all the ones you listed arent even in the same league as craft #s m8

promos?

all the ones you listed arent even in the same league as craft #s m8

Promos like the BMOC and Big Kill are more fucked up then key prices.

People want to buy for -2 keys off and people want to sell for +2 keys on. It's a bad place to go.

I guess we could add another one

11. Trade offers

What you say : don't add me, send a trade offer

What you mean : I have 150 weapons to sell for a scrap each, and I don't want to add 150 people to friends

What they understand : Trade offers ? I trade with you or I don't, but I don't go through that sh*t. It should be an honor to have me in your friends list. 

Archived