Ethics of Genetic Modification of Humans

jacustjack

I had a lecture on the ethics of genetic modification in humans and whether or not it could/could not be morally wrong depending on the case. For example, if the unborn child had a potentially-deadly disorder would it be justifiable to remove that portion and replace it with a healthy strand of DNA? But the lines are very blurred as it is unclear where the boundary is between something for the benefit of the child to make him/her more "typical" or something for the benefit of the child to make him/her exceed or be what the parents wanted. What is your input on this ethical issue?

yes, create super babies. Hopefully ones that can play mvm. I had the highest score as a scout without upgrading my gun in one of my games, after 5 waves. Only mvm babies are ethical though. It would solve a big problem. kbye

Unethical, depending on scenario. If it's to save the child's life, I'm all for it. If it creates a new "class" of humans, then throw it in the Great Below*.

*Which is where this should be. Tee hee

Using it for...

- Curing debilitating genetic diseases is great!

- Creating the designer baby is basically extremely egotistic.

- Manufacturing the "perfect" human is a really REALLY REALLY bad idea.

If you can benefit someone without harming them, and it remains morally justifiable I don't see a problem with it.

yeah

Using it for...

- Curing debilitating genetic diseases is great!

- Creating the designer baby is basically extremely egotistic.

yeah!

but it is still.. scary

But that's only because the Ceti Alpha system was a poor choice for a colony.

It would be very helpful for parents that are both carriers of a debilitating disease or condition. To be able to still have a healthy child would be amazing

Stuff like dictating the color of their eyes, height, genetic weight dispositions, etc is a bit too far though

Archived