Limited friend requests

★UP  Tafel Kafel (Doge)

IMO the best thing they could do would be to not completely disallow links, just don't make them clickable. Completely removing them would make sharing things a pain.

Everyone should be aware of JesseCar's Steam Community Suite here: http://jes.re/suite and have something like NoScript installed on their browsers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't a problem, you just gotta use trade offer. I actually use trade offer a lot.

Way too few sellers has set their trade offer urls in tf2outpost settings. Also, when you add a trader, he recieves a notification in bottom right, but when you send a trade offer, nobody notices it.

Plus you can't talk, negotiate, discuss etc.

This isn't a problem, you just gotta use trade offer. I actually use trade offer a lot.

I'm trying to add random people who I don't know their link. It's killing me.

Yep, also I have ran multiple times into trade offer URLs which were outdated because the person re-generated the token but forgot to update their tf2op/bp.tf profile.

Also trade offers are lacking proper notifications. The tiny green envelope is laughable.

And last thing ,what the f*ck means "1 or 2 days"? Can they be any more vague ...

You can see trade offer notification on steam client itself. You can discuss price in your trade post.

possible, but its really inconvenient

Imo steam did enough by making a warning when you click on links like that that say "This is not an official steam site. Do you wish to proceed?"

Imo steam did enough by making a warning when you click on links like that that say "This is not an official steam site. Do you wish to proceed?"

Only in steam browser tho which makes it practically useless :l

• Administrators

I don't like solutions to problems that end up with everyone getting screwed over. This is one of them, the other time would have been the removal of /me (although I had a lot of fun accusing ERPers as scammers).

This is a bad thing for trading bots who still aren't using trade offers, so services like scrap.tf are fucked. There is the convenient option to add their bot, but the problem is a two way street and if you want to use multiple bot services, then...

Personally I didn't experience this yet, altough I've added well over 30 people in the past few hours. Probably just a matter of sending requests too quickly.

There doesn't even need to be a solution to phishing.

At this point, if you can't read "Valve Corporation [uS]" at the top of the site you're visiting, you deserve to be inconvenienced by having to use the "reset my password" option.

But yeah, the invitation limit is silly. I just got it after trying to do a weapon swap on scrap TF.

Anyone heard if this is going to be permanent? If so this is really going to fuck trading up. There are many noob traders who don't know how to use trade offers which makes trading a real pain in the ass. I have confirmed if you add people in 60 second intervals you can only add 6 (maybe 7, the first one was a "You already added this person") and you get the error. Not exactly sure of their limits yet, but I will keep trying with different times to see. Next test is 120 seconds. Wondering exactly what this stupid limit is, they should at least let us know it if is going to be removed eventually. Phishing is a BIG deal but this is NOT the right move.

*120 second also breaks. On to 240 seconds.

*240 seconds breaks after 6.

*480 also breaks after 6.

I saw a phiser on Facebook that steals Facebook accounts through a fake facebook website. I guess facebook is also stupid and lazy like Valve! because it's obviously their fault that there are idiots in our society!

No.

I saw a phiser on Facebook that steals Facebook accounts through a fake facebook website. I guess facebook is also stupid and lazy like Valve! because it's obviously their fault that there are idiots in our society!

No.

I have had experience with phishing in the past, when you are bored and good at coding it's just natural one tries things =P and one thing you learn is there are ALWAYS ways around their so called "Fixes". The only true fix is a proactive IP ban, the alternative would be a ban on an account if it is reported too many times.

The simplest thing would be to disable ANY links being sent in chats/posts that are not steam's, this would fix all the problems without screwing anyone over. We could still post things like trade links and links to steam related things and if we want to post videos to youtubes and things, tough luck, get a real chat platform.

The alternative would be that all links be wrapped in a steam url page that was extremely clear that the link you are visiting is a link OUTSIDE STEAM, while this is never a 100% fix it could really help. Well, that and fixing the loophole through which people send a bazillion links without friend invites being accepted.

Glad to know it's not just me that's having this problem, if anyone fixes it it would be delightful to know. Thankfully I met this one guy, who just bought all the stuff I was selling, but I'm still a big trader, and WHY ON THE WEEKEND!

Coming soon to your favourite trading site comments section:

- "hey, I cannot add you (steam error), please add me <legit steam profile link>"

- "go to hell phisher, reported"

GG Valve. GG.

• Administrators

The simplest thing would be to disable ANY links being sent in chats/posts that are not steam's, this would fix all the problems without screwing anyone over. We could still post things like trade links and links to steam related things and if we want to post videos to youtubes and things, tough luck, get a real chat platform.

The alternative would be that all links be wrapped in a steam url page that was extremely clear that the link you are visiting is a link OUTSIDE STEAM, while this is never a 100% fix it could really help. Well, that and fixing the loophole through which people send a bazillion links without friend invites being accepted.

I disagree because sometimes you have to link people to Outpost/Bazaar or other Tf2 related sites if they don't understand something/you are going through a big trade. What they could have done is that, add a feature that correctly understands the Steam link and shows it in green and red/orange if the link appears suspicious.

Simple as that. Don't know why Valve always comes up with the stupidest idea to prevent/fix things. 

I disagree because sometimes you have to link people to Outpost/Bazaar or other Tf2 related sites if they don't understand something/you are going through a big trade. What they could have done is that, add a feature that correctly understands the Steam link and shows it in green and red/orange if the link appears suspicious.

Simple as that. Don't know why Valve always comes up with the stupidest idea to prevent/fix things. 

Didn't say it was the best idea, I said it would be the simplest =) It would be very few lines of code taking far less time then link colors and such.

Also, like I said previously, "all links be wrapped in a steam url page that was extremely clear that the link you are visiting is a link OUTSIDE STEAM" would be the more efficient method of what you are recommending. It would not require any complicated filters, it would give them a landing page to make absolutely clear you understand that you are entering "The deep dark internet" where "There be monsters" and you should exercise caution. In addition to just being a warning they could have a landing page where they could also post notices like "Phishing links are on a fucking epic high" and to please make sure the URL bar has the "Trusted official banner and shit" so you don't get phished.

Instead we get total bullshit friend add limits. Even if they turn the limits off, the instant they do the phishers will just start back up immediately. They have a serious problem and instead of applying half-ass fixes they need to either solve the problem or ask for suggestions. Honestly just an official update would do wonders but they would never do that. They just keep hiding and playing ignorant.

*120 second also breaks. On to 240 seconds.

*240 seconds breaks after 6.

*480 also breaks after 6.

I would stop testing. Over a period of 8 hours, I added 6 people. I'm serious, try it. Just got the error after doing this, and I was being cautious not to get caught by it. But no, I think if you add more than 6 people in a day then you get banned. That's what appears to be the rule.

Archived