Out of curiosity, why does TF2 have so many bots?

thaboy

So to preface this, I'm mainly a trader so I don't often go on casual and play as often, but I do find myself sometimes queuing up for casual or watching streams of my buddy's playing casual and had always thought that the "Bot issue" that I keep hearing about was just overhyped stuff. Didn't think the issue was that bad as I mainly am on community servers until I noticed a trend of so many bots being in 8/10 games I queued for.

I am here to ask out of curiosity and lack of knowledge on the situation, why are there so many bots in tf2? I can't imagine that the people who run the bots genuinely see having bots as a "good thing" as people talk about the bot issue quite often.

*Just as a note again, I am not knowledgeable on the situation, and telling me that "Valve won't fix the bot problem" won't really explain why the bots are there to begin with.*

Thank you to any of you who will read this and give me your explanation/understanding/perspective on the situation.

That's a good question to be honest. I think there are bot hosters. I remember seeing a youtube video about it - 

This is very thorough. In a nut shell there are bot hosters that caused these bot infestations in TF2. Its been going on for years sadly :(

to send a message to valve to fix this game I

It won't work, you want valve to care about this game at all is to find something that allows you to get items from the mannco store for free not cheep free and they will patch it in days but thats the closest they will get to truly giving a shit

I had a huge debate with a friend about how valve doesn't care about this game and he was fighting me on it, 6 months later he's stopped playing it all together cus its not the game he loved and is now where my mind set is

the game is dead or very close to dead the only thing keeping it alive is mvm, community servers, and trading.

valve no longer gives its own spin they used to on updates and relys solely on the community

• Like 1

Which bots ya talking about? The trading ones? the aimbot ones? the mic spam ones? the phishing ones? the impersonator ones? the idling ones? the anti-bot bots?

Bot hosters are seething little shits who are sad others are enjoying the game, they feel they have the RIGHT and they are IN THE RIGHT to ruin games because maybe one single bad experience in the community cut into their toilet paper skin and now they have to exact revenge

They don't stop, and because game communities will always have a handful of people who complain and give them attention they'll always have enough fuel and ego to motivate them to keep producing new stronger bots

• Thanks 1

Valve really has little interest in continuing with TF2, so bad actors have free reign to run bots to farm item drops or just cause mayhem in pubs.

Understand that of Valve's ~$12 billion in revenue, $10 billion comes from operating steam. The rest is valve games and hardware sales. Of which, TF2 is a very very small portion.

There is almost no incentive for Valve as a company to spend time on TF2 other than keeping the lights on.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Several things make it a easy target for botting.

- TF2 is a Old game with devs that don't care for it.
- The games anti-cheat is old and easy to bypass.
- TF2's systems and gameplay make it easy to start botting. (etc: free to play, free weapon drops, trading, easy ways to join games)
- The program to host bots is from what Ive seen and been told very simple to setup and run.
- TF2's community is very vocal, so its a easy target for trolling and griefing.
- Compared to other games, TF2 has a small playerbase. Making it very easy to take over parts of it. (example: casual is pretty dead at late nights making it easy for bots to take over)

All in all, the way that TF2 currently is makes it a very easy target for botting and bad actors.

Edited by Deroplat
fixing grammar

15 hours ago, Sir Spoon The Second said:

to send a message to valve to fix this game

You can't claim to be fixing a problem when you are the problem. This is some bullshit but plausible-sounding moral excuse these people will try to use to justify their actions. They do it for attention, plain and simple. Every reddit thread complaining about it feeds them, every video made on them, this very reply is giving them a kick from the irony because I'm sure as hell it's already reached their communication circles.

Awesomesause's reply is pretty spot-on.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

You can't claim to be fixing a problem when you are the problem. This is some bullshit but plausible-sounding moral excuse these people will try to use to justify their actions. They do it for attention, plain and simple. Every reddit thread complaining about it feeds them, every video made on them, this very reply is giving them a kick from the irony because I'm sure as hell it's already reached their communication circles.

Awesomesause's reply is pretty spot-on.

I do agree its some BS we've see stuff in the world that is just as if not more stupid (this is not what i clam this is what I was told by someone stating they talked with 1 of these bot runners)

example: people being involved in riots to protest something but with a good majority of people just using this operationality to just break into places and steel stuff siting "its sending a message about what we protest" or something like that

while it is a stupid statement and method it is something that could work/worked but only during the time(s) when valve were giving some shits about tf