AITA for not paying for someone to procure/source an item for me?

Gaia

A week ago I got a random add and it turned out to be someone looking for free items.

Turns out they found me through the profile of another user (bagel) whom I added for an unusual I was trying to buy.

Turns out the random add was friends with the other user (bagel).

I promised that I would give them a few items if they could convince their friend to sell me their item.

Bagel ended up getting back to me and montioned that his friend told him to get back to me.

Trade went through and I send a gift offer to the random add. (Pro Ks Three Rune Blade and a Strange Dalokhs bar)

He declined the trade and instead asked for more.

Admittadly I was insulted by this, withdrew the trade offer for the free items, and blocked him.

bp, AITA? Do I still owe this poor guy some items? (1/2)

IMG_1458.thumb.PNG.d17b8781ceea20671183e156e6681494.PNGIMG_1460.thumb.PNG.a6f97f816cf8e84d101090be7a1a18a4.PNG

(2/2)  context: I have bp premium.. I was waiting for bagel to get back to me

IMG_1461.PNG

IMG_1462.PNG

Meh. I wouldn't personally. You already tried, it's now HIS mistake for not accepting. Even if he wanted more, he could have been more reasonable with his ask. Asking for an Aussie or batsaber... lol

I did once give someone an Australium Sniper Rifle for getting me in contact with an unusual owner I wanted to trade with. But it was a HUGE deal to me (couldn't get in contact by myself even after trying for literal months), and an expensive hat. So the 35 key tip was worth it. But in your situation... eh. I could see you giving him another chance at the previously offered items out of pity, but if you decide he's not worth it I personally don't see an issue with that.

I would've started ignoring them as soon as they outright declined your initial trade offer, lol. They were greedy and lost out because of it. Block and forget 

I would have blocked them as soon as they asked for free items tbh. 

Once gave some advice to a person that got scammed and was about to get their acc hijacker as well, helped them and they really hit me with the "hey can I have some items from you, I am so sad".

Greedy people don't deserve anything.

• Like 2

This is something I’d do for

free. Unless the item is super hard to pry off the original owner I’d say you were super generous even offering to compensate them. At this point it’s on them for not taking your gift. 

Oh hey is this guy, basically overall = he's just begging for items

Only providing these screenshots cause the rest are just normal boring conversations

image.png.61adf73a3402553b161651ecae547305.png

This one was when he wanted to buy a certain item but he doesn't have enough

image.png.f419cb1081ba760790146977d079c9ba.png

Dude was desperate that he wanted to borrow his friend's stuff to sell in order to buy the certain item he wants

image.png.92a864c3db4fd2f9ca69e575d3cdb015.png

As of today he wanted me to give (not lend) him keys to buy the stuff he wants (alongside that he wanted my aussies too)

Though I ended up buying a Spec Killstreak Soda Popper Kit that he wanted to I can get him to stop begging me for items just like some average beggars, but honestly now that I came across this, I think I might have regretted buying it.

you dont have to give them anything. they decided to be a choosing beggar and got greedy. youre not doing anything wrong here.

You do not owe anyone any item. I did large giveaways for a time and after I had stopped people still asked me for free things when I had directly told them multiple times that I was not giving away things anymore, and they would get upset and block.

Funny story actually, I had a person who won a free unusual (appx 9 keys) taunt in a masscrab giveaway that added me after and asked if he could swap it out for an unusual I have (a cheap 12-key one one but a gift) I told them no, as I was not trading it, nor wanted to give. They proceeded to shit-talk to other people about said free items. It's the reason I (at this point) no longer want to do any other forms of giveaways. A lot of people were appreciative but others straight up will not take no for an answer when it comes to FREE items they're given.

Please, if anyone asks me for free stuff anymore in the fashion this guy did I would have blocked. Amazed you let the convo go on.

you broke a trade agreement by blocking them but they broke it by declining the FREE items you gave

i don't think you should get punished as you did give him free items but he never heard the saying "beggars can't be choosers" and was very greedy and said i want more so honestly fuck them

he missed out of free items even if they aren't worth much 

4 hours ago, Gaia said:

I promised that I would give them a few items if they could convince their friend to sell me their item.

And you did offer him items. He declined the items. Enough said, enjoy your day worry free.

1 minute ago, Sir Spoon The Second said:

you broke a trade agreement by blocking them

the scout shako was like 25 keys max and the other guy was asking for batsabers, aussies, and unusuals

the agreement was actually fulfilled, as weird as it sounds. Bagel sold him the item, Gaia sent an offer with items to Beggar, Beggar got pissy. 

situations like these are the exact reason 95% of collectors and whales have random add = block on their profile, nobody wants to deal with this nonsense

2 hours ago, Yae said:

"Though I ended up buying a Spec Killstreak Soda Popper Kit that he wanted to I can get him to stop begging me for items just like some average beggars, but honestly now that I came across this, I think I might have regretted buying it."

By giving them items you are validating their act. They now feel that if they are persistent enough, their begging might actually pay off. Essentially you're passively incentivizing them to continue this behaviour.

2 hours ago, Yae said:

Only providing these screenshots cause the rest are just normal boring conversations

Dude was desperate that he wanted to borrow his friend's stuff to sell in order to buy the certain item he wants

As of today he wanted me to give (not lend) him keys to buy the stuff he wants (alongside that he wanted my aussies too)

Though I ended up buying a Spec Killstreak Soda Popper Kit that he wanted to I can get him to stop begging me for items just like some average beggars, but honestly now that I came across this, I think I might have regretted buying it.

I learnt the hard way to literally not give anyone anything unless they are really good friends of atleast 3+ years and I trust that they will not disappoint me in the future.
I don't give stuff to randoms anymore in the fear they are assholes. I don't want to reward bad people.
Gifted a lot to ex-friends in their birthdays and I regret it a lot.
The last nail in the coffin was when I made a good friend in all 2023 and his pc broke, I decided to help him out by buying a new one and sending it. Early this year he got upset at random shit I didn't do intentionally and he decided he doesn't want me as a friend anymore.
After this I decided I'll literally not give anything to anyone , not even a scrap, unless I have known them for a really long time.
Some people are rich and greedy and are born with no humility. But some people, like me, that are not rich by any means and were born in a 3rd world country, learn to be selfish because of stuff like this.

Should have come to an agreement with the guy on specifically what he gets before he went and asked bagel about the hat. That's the only side of this where I think you're in the wrong.

Tbh we don't know if he actually played any part in it all - or if it was just bagel gets on his computer and has multiple people trying to reach him.

He's got a pro strange kunai and an aussie amby, a good few other stranges, he's not exactly the bottom of the poverty barrel like he's making it out. 

If he actually did something to help you get that hat, I wouldn't say he really deserves anything more than a key or two but it looks to me like he's less than honest and I wouldn't feel bad about not giving him anything

9 hours ago, Bananas said:

the scout shako was like 25 keys max and the other guy was asking for batsabers, aussies, and unusuals

the agreement was actually fulfilled, as weird as it sounds. Bagel sold him the item, Gaia sent an offer with items to Beggar, Beggar got pissy. 

situations like these are the exact reason 95% of collectors and whales have random add = block on their profile, nobody wants to deal with this nonsense

i do see where your coming from and i do agree with you 

Average mannconian behavior.

How does the old saying go? Oh yeah, Beggars can't be choosers.

Let them mald and move on, maybe this will become a learning moment for them (it won't, but who cares really)

17 hours ago, SirDapper said:

This is the most Reddit chungus moment in all of bp.tf history. Shocked someone outrussellposted Russell.

no one out russelposts the hut!!

• Like 1

guy committed one of the seven deadly sins, he deserves getting nothing

at least you are two items richer now, may they go to a better cause

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yae said:

You should use it on yours and send him a screenshot