Opinions on swearing?

Ness-PK

If you swear, what you could possibly gain in a relationship is overshadowed by what you could possibly lose in a relationship. So it is better to just not swear in the first place.

If you swear, what you could possibly gain in a relationship is overshadowed by what you could possibly lose in a relationship. So it is better to just not swear in the first place.

You should be a guru.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest it's integral to speech - and freedom of speech. I am offended when I see "f*ck", it's self-diminishing self-censorship and it makes people look stupid. The word "fuck" with no censorship is a statement of pure defiance - brilliant, and it doesn't offend me at all. Just shows what language can do. I limit my swearing to make myself not look stupid but all in all it's a great part of language and a great part of society. Fucking gr8 m8.

However there is a more conflicting and controversial side: faggot, nigger, Jew, etc. In my honest opinion (and I'm sure it's different in the States), the N-word is OK. The same as any other word, as long as it's not used in an abusive and racist manner it's ok. Discrimination is leaving someone out/not giving them a job/ignoring them because they're black, Asian, gay - you name it. Calling them something potentially in a playful/friendly manner or environment isn't discrimination (to me, at least). To be honest, if I were black (this is coming from a white middle-class male) I wouldn't mind being called nigga or nigger by a friend, or having friends make "racist" jokes about/to me. Maybe it's just me. But I guess it might be different in the US or South Africa; they were persecuted a lot until the '70s. I think races should be on good enough relations, however, to be able to joke about themselves and each other. Context is everything.

Faggot/fag is somewhat different, though. Homosexuals are still outcasts to most of society. None of my friends are gay (I think) but I couldn't give a damn if all of them were. To me it doesn't matter. One of my friends is literally homophobic though (gays literally frighten him) lol. Anyways, maybe one day faggot can be on the same level as asshole or dick. But at the moment it's really not appropriate.

I cuss a lot and say things all the time that are "inapropriate." Logic is its words off of some dumb languages that didn't mean anything but somthing small until some dumba** desided to make them habits, and so now everybody got dem' aids.

Quick Examples:

B**ch: Female dog reporacle to the dominite Male.

A**hole: Could you take a guess?

Motherf*cker: Very creative.

Dumba**: Just called ya retarded.

Most of the things we say that are "swearing" is just rather a combination of words that we think are funny, or have somthing to laugh about, or can represent somthing we want to get into somone or somthings head. Welcome to english, "don't like it?" Speak somthing else.

So am i the only one that uses them constantly IRL?...

All the time. I don't even think about it. 

It seems like almost a cultural thing. I tend to swear a lot when I'm around my American relatives purely to provoke, since they all hate swearing. I then swear even more when I'm at home, because it's a completely normal thing to do here.

All the time. I don't even think about it. 

It seems like almost a cultural thing. I tend to swear a lot when I'm around my American relatives purely to provoke, since they all hate swearing. I then swear even more when I'm at home, because it's a completely normal thing to do here.

Yay i'm not alone, I swear constantly to my teachers and friends and none of them really care, but i wont to my parents, they will take away my computer D:

Swearing is seen as something that does commonly happen. Never swearing can be seen as odd.

To swear gratuitously is idiocy. Swearing just represent a temporary loss of emotional control like when you bump your head or get angry at an event like the lack of rescue effort for those Nigerian school girls.

Also, eluding to what Jjon said it is best to take extra care when getting to know someone. Like on a date. If your a guy thr last messege you want convey to the lass is that you have a hard time controlling yourself.

mumbles nigger

Almost gets fired and receives shit tons of hate. Yay for Jeremy

He did a public apology and now everyone loves him

Archived