Jump to content

Crates and Seasonal Effects - What Should Be Done Now?


SuperSandwichGoku

Recommended Posts

So I know that since Scream Fortress 2017, seasonal effects have only been unboxable in cases during each event period.

Putting aside whether we think Valve will actually do it, do you think it would be good for the economy if seasonal effect unusuals could be unboxed from crates again?

The possibilities I can think of are:

 

1. The new effects can be unboxed from crates again as well (Like Scream Fortress 2016)

2. A previous seasonal case's effects can be unboxed from crates (ex. if during this Scream Fortress, crates had the 2022 effect pool)

3. A rerun of one of the crate series (SF 2011-2016)

 

For 2 and 3 you could also go with huge effect pools of all previous years respectively. And a solution could also involve a changed drop rate.

 

I know older Halloween unusuals get their value (at least partially) because of their rarity, so I know 3 would not be perfect. I am a new trader so I'm not really informed on what veterans think. I just think that surely there can be some compromise so crates don't get left in the dust.

Thoughts?

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ultimate reality is that nothing the community proposes would ever get implemented and it is unlikely valve will ever revisit anything because that might require like 2 seconds of work more than just approving community made cosmetics every 6 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It'd be good for pretty much everybody. There's a lot of very popular cosmetics that are just doomed to legacy effects, a lot of people have attachment to these old hats and they're pretty irrelevant nowadays. Some rejuvenation would be good for the market. Returning of Crate Series would be a win-win.

 

With that being said, if they returned every SF effect at once, chances are the pool would be so diluted that you really wouldn't see that much of a quantity increase per-effect, especially with the triple multiplier faced by some effects in modern pools. When for every Harvest Moon you're getting three Moth Plagues, market returns aren't gonna be so hot. It would still be good, a little bit more accessibility is still accessibility. But even with an increased drop rate I would assume that the more reasonably priced legacy effects would just tank, and it'd be a mild dent in the obnoxiously expensive ones. 16/17 really were the dream examples for how to format cases in a Seasonal event, either the new effects across all Crate and Case series, or a return of older content available to a library of cosmetics that simply didn't exist at the time. Unfortunately in 2018 they chose a far worse combination of both, and it's all been downhill from there.

 

Seriously man. They gotta bring back legacy effects. It's not even for the sake of Bonzo and Arcana, but seeing people without a hint of irony ask for, and subsequently receive, more than 100 keys for Eerie Orbiting Fire single classes makes me feel sick to my stomach. Stop it. Get some help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the only reason you even desire the old god tiers is the reason they’re so expensive and exclusive in the first place: status

 

The whales don’t want you to have their effects. Not your effects, THEIR effects. That’s why they hoarded up all the good stuff and gatekeep 98% of the community away

 

if everyone has triple portal sets and bonzos for every class nobody will care about those effects, it’s a virtual dick measuring contest to see who can either spend the most money as a flex, or make the most money with the biggest inventory

 

2017 was just valve dropping the ball with a proper halloween update, the odds of that happening again with how the workshop is now is like 0, valve will always have community shit to throw into a case and call it a day

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bananas said:

the only reason you even desire the old god tiers is the reason they’re so expensive and exclusive in the first place: status

 

The whales don’t want you to have their effects. Not your effects, THEIR effects. That’s why they hoarded up all the good stuff and gatekeep 98% of the community away

 

if everyone has triple portal sets and bonzos for every class nobody will care about those effects, it’s a virtual dick measuring contest to see who can either spend the most money as a flex, or make the most money with the biggest inventory

 

2017 was just valve dropping the ball with a proper halloween update, the odds of that happening again with how the workshop is now is like 0, valve will always have community shit to throw into a case and call it a day

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tf2 fans so starved we drafting fantasy pick updates 😭

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bananas said:

the only reason you even desire the old god tiers is the reason they’re so expensive and exclusive in the first place: status

 

In the case of most of them it's only status among traders and the extremely knowledgeable players that are few and far between in pubs/communities. I've gotten 10x as many compliments for my GBH TC in pubs as any of the old halloweens I've owned have gotten, and tbh it's probably more to do with the hat being a TC than the effect being nice. (The nebula translator I had a few months back got a lot of love from pubs too though)

 

I don't believe one person has ever commented on any of the Arcana or portal effect hats I've owned. Granted they've never been on AMAZING hats, but still.

 

If anything TC's are a better buy than old hweens if you want attention anywhere but firepowered trade or backpack.tf discord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do think it’d be great to bring back old hween effects to new cases that haven’t had access to them yet. And perhaps some other effects too but that would be quite complicated to do. As long as hats that can’t be unboxed anymore remain that way. Having 1:1s is cool. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HalfDutchTiger said:

I do think it’d be great to bring back old hween effects to new cases that haven’t had access to them yet. And perhaps some other effects too but that would be quite complicated to do. As long as hats that can’t be unboxed anymore remain that way. Having 1:1s is cool. 

Or alternatively being able to unbox a selection of newer case era effects on older hats could be cool

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Slam said:

If anything TC's are a better buy than old hweens if you want attention anywhere but firepowered trade or backpack.tf discord.


i get what you’re saying but I don’t believe the top backpacks care at all what the common player thinks of their bonzo robin or arcana harmburg

 

when it comes to the virtual DMC (dick measuring contest), it really only matters that other big backpacks see that your backpack is nicer and bigger. 
 

after all, when trading 10s of thousands of dollars worth of god tiers, why peacock to anyone but those who can afford to peacock back? can’t sell a Rolex to a broke man.
 

I’ve had multiple random server people compliment my 13th company man in the little time I’ve owned it already, I think it matters how you fit your hat into a loadout. It’s a lot easier to make a company man look good over a ketche or a letch’s led or a umbrella for heavy (forgor name)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Littlepudintater said:

tf2 fans so starved we drafting fantasy pick updates 😭

 

A thing since ages.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Category:Fan_updates

 

What I have to say is probably not different from the majority of experienced people in this community says: the chance of Valve picking old effects back and making them available again is near 0.

Modern days Valve has left Team Fortress on autopilot and we arrived at a point in which we have a bigger hope for them to fix a 10-year old bug than scrambling the cards on the field called "market"; they have (accidentally) done that with the Crate Depression, result was a mess, they have (not accidentally) done that a second time with the quickswitch removal and reverted the patch, giving a good chunk of traders here the need of a diaper for how much they shat their pants after seeing that changing.

They applied Flex Tape to both and the economy is still here; if I were a Valve employee, I wouldn't try recycling Unusual effects-related events in order to try to give the market some benefit, considering what happened in the recent years back, dumping 100 or so new particles every year in loop sounds much safer and simpler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Colonel Johnson said:

 

A thing since ages.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Category:Fan_updates

 

What I have to say is probably not different from the majority of experienced people in this community says: the chance of Valve picking old effects back and making them available again is near 0.

Modern days Valve has left Team Fortress on autopilot and we arrived at a point in which we have a bigger hope for them to fix a 10-year old bug than scrambling the cards on the field called "market"; they have (accidentally) done that with the Crate Depression, result was a mess, they have (not accidentally) done that a second time with the quickswitch removal and reverted the patch, giving a good chunk of traders here the need of a diaper for how much they shat their pants after seeing that changing.

They applied Flex Tape to both and the economy is still here; if I were a Valve employee, I wouldn't try recycling Unusual effects-related events in order to try to give the market some benefit, considering what happened in the recent years back, dumping 100 or so new particles every year in loop sounds much safer and simpler.

insane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's fan fiction here?

 

Ok so let start with an oldies of mine: make a tools that can transfer a spell from one item to another one.

 

Now, on the subject.

Make an unusual "trade UP" system (not really UP).

 

You burn 3-10 unusual (number to define), you got an unusual drop of one of the effect/crate you sacrificed.

 

5 old smoking hat to a chance to got a burning TC (or a flies hat...) seems fun to me.

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2024 at 5:39 PM, TraL said:

It's fan fiction here?

 

Ok so let start with an oldies of mine: make a tools that can transfer a spell from one item to another one.

Oh if it's fan fiction talk I'd love some kind of overhaul to the war paints system to just get rid of the shitty wears system. While you're at it give all the old skins that don't have them mk.II versions valvo pls

On 1/3/2024 at 7:19 PM, Colonel Johnson said:

Modern days Valve has left Team Fortress on autopilot and we arrived at a point in which we have a bigger hope for them to fix a 10-year old bug than scrambling the cards on the field called "market"; they have (accidentally) done that with the Crate Depression, result was a mess, they have (not accidentally) done that a second time with the quickswitch removal and reverted the patch, giving a good chunk of traders here the need of a diaper for how much they shat their pants after seeing that changing.

They applied Flex Tape to both and the economy is still here; if I were a Valve employee, I wouldn't try recycling Unusual effects-related events in order to try to give the market some benefit, considering what happened in the recent years back, dumping 100 or so new particles every year in loop sounds much safer and simpler.

I wouldn't even call it a secret that injecting hats and unusuals into the economy is the primary reason TF2 still gets seasonal updates, so it sucks that Valve doesn't even care about that aspect more than just maintenance 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SuperSandwichGoku said:

I wouldn't even call it a secret that injecting hats and unusuals into the economy is the primary reason TF2 still gets seasonal updates, so it sucks that Valve doesn't even care about that aspect more than just maintenance 

 

Indeed and Valve has a very specific work mentality that not everyone comprehends or even knows at all.

We are not Valve developers, but the chance of them choosing to treat TF2 like this is probably very high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...