What caused the key prices to drop

S0me_Random_Guy

Been gone a bit 

Seen a big drop, is it just supply and demand or some other factor I've missed

They gonna bounce back up?

Cheers

awhile ago some dude dropped thousands of key for low price on steam market. check the bar graph. no idea why so it is what it is. its slowing recovering though

(yes i still sometimes lurk the forums)

• Like 1

I believe it's a combination of 200k+ keys being added to the game and largely dumped on mannco.store and other cash sites as well as christmas adding another 200k keys roughly. Key count in tf2 went from 1.9 mil to about 2.3-2.4 mil in a very short period of time and the vast majority of them ended up on cash sites. Looks like things have calmed down a little now though 😄

53 minutes ago, Littlepudintater said:

feel like google would just be more helpful atp 😭

people who know and will explain more thoroughly > Google telling us nothing or directing us to this forum anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondjozu(storage alt) said:

awhile ago some dude dropped thousands of key for low price on steam market. check the bar graph. no idea why so it is what it is. its slowing recovering though

My memory of what happened specifically is fuzzy but a few weeks ago I think the Argentinan Peso (or some other south american currency) had its exchange rate dramatically change with Steam not updating it in time to where you could buy keys for essentially $1 USD or so, so there were people specifically in south america that were buying thousands of TF2 keys to dump everywhere they could to print money basically.

Something of that nature, I cannot recall the details so correct me if I'm wrong lol

18 minutes ago, Slam said:

My memory of what happened specifically is fuzzy but a few weeks ago I think the Argentinan Peso (or some other south american currency) had its exchange rate dramatically change with Steam not updating it in time to where you could buy keys for essentially $1 USD or so, so there were people specifically in south america that were buying thousands of TF2 keys to dump everywhere they could to print money basically.

Something of that nature, I cannot recall the details so correct me if I'm wrong lol

Pretty much correct, this was the cause of the recent steep fall-off in price(along with normal steam sale and unboxing events that people dump keys for SCM funds for).

2 hours ago, diamondjozu(storage alt) said:

(yes i still sometimes lurk the forums)

argentinian currency tanked and valve was slow to update thats why, argentinians swept the scm with the low prices for them