Free to Play

AwesomeMcCoolName

Ill definitely watch it. I love the Dota competitive scene and know and follow all these players, especially Dendi

Finished it and I thought it was very good. I think they picked three very good players to show just what its like to be an esports player. Its sad now that scythe is not a major team these days and that hyhy isnt getting the recognition he deserves. Fear is doing better than ever lately now and Dendi is... well, he is Dendi. He is the best player in the world.

I watched it yesterday, and frankly it was a little dull. As a movie about three people and their lives, it really skimmed over everything, and condensed most of the interesting parts to the point where it didn't say enough.

As a movie about what it means to be a competitor and participate at the highest level of something, and the sacrifices that can take, it glossed over everything.

As a movie about e-sports it didn't say anything meaningful. It didn't explore any of the stigmas or social mores except in the barest way possible.

Overall, it wasn't bad, but it failed to do what a good documentary should--connect its subject matter to a bigger picture, and to explore themes beyond the superficial.

5/10; average

Took the time to actually watch those last 2 games at the International (Na'Vi vs EHOME), and seeing them made me actually loathe the movie.

It's actually Na'Vi's XBOCT who carries them like a walking, unstoppable god through both of those important games, and he got zero credit for it. If I remember correctly, he wasn't interviewed once or even featured in any meaningful way. I didn't mind the broad strokes of the movie, or the myriads of necessary omissions the movie had to make, nor the black and white way they told the underdog story of the russian David beating the chinese Goliath, but completely screwing over the guy who made those victories possible, just because Dendi is more popular? That's just a massive dick move.

They're asking the audience to be sympathetic about the sacrifices these guys made to get to the International, when the entire movie is basically taking a huge dump on the one guy who brought Na'Vi the victory. Wtf.

Archived