Traders beware: Steam bans for innocuous comments

100 Degrees Leather Jacket

Today I've been hit with a community ban because I wrote "Adding to buy a Hazard Handler" on someone's profile. This ban restricted me from playing in VAC-secured servers, trading, I couldn't even chat with any of my friends. All of my outgoing friend requests were also deleted. I opened a Steam Support ticket and thankfully I got unbanned within 9 minutes, but there's no guarantee that it would be this fast for anyone else. I urge everyone to choose their words really carefully when leaving trade-related comments on people's profiles so they don't get slapped in the face with something like this.

So I'm not the only one.

I was interested in a C.Moon TC, left a comment on the person's page, not even mentioning specifically about how much or what was the deal to be like, just a comment asking if they were interested in working out a trade, then BAM! Banned.

The reason I knew it was them is because right after I made that comment, like 1-2 minutes, I got banned, while it was not the case for many other folks previously. Took me hours to finally be unbanned after explaining with a Steam Mod that I didn't do ****, and maybe they shouldn't have just banned people by just 1 report.

Some people just took things too seriously I guess. If they didn't want to see random comments, maybe they should have disabled the comment section in the beginning?

To avoid community bans like this, its probs a good idea to make a post with all "blacklisted" words, known ones are below:

"Buy"

"Sell"

I'm likely missing more but even posting a comment with these will get your account marked.

I got trade banned for using the word “sell” in a comment. The community ban got removed, but the forgot to remove my trade ban. I then had to wait a WEEK 😟

This problem has been going on for a good while now. I think Valve decided to put something in place thinking some scam accounts are going around mass commenting on profiles interested in "buying" or "selling" stuff to said users. It leaves regular users, like traders, vulnerable to something like this if they aren't aware of it.

seems like theres a bot that just autobans anybody using the words buy sell or trade
damn scammer bots messing everything up
i was also banned for about 10 minutes after contacting steam support

yeah got a similar experience it was only for 30 mins but still sucked.

Even canceled 1 of my buy orders and unlisted all my items currently selling which was a bit of a pain.

The word "buy" is 100% the cause

I've been banned 3 times for commenting on other's profiles using 'buy and 'sell' words but there's nothing to worry about. Once you contact Steam support your account will be fine. They've been doing this because of new scams recently suspecting that your account was compromised but once you message the support saying that it was you who left the comments and not someone else, they will just remove the restrictions on your Steam account.

3 hours ago, 100 Degrees Leather Jacket said:

Today I've been hit with a community ban because I wrote "Adding to buy a Hazard Handler" on someone's profile. This ban restricted me from playing in VAC-secured servers, trading, I couldn't even chat with any of my friends. All of my outgoing friend requests were also deleted. I opened a Steam Support ticket and thankfully I got unbanned within 9 minutes, but there's no guarantee that it would be this fast for anyone else. I urge everyone to choose their words really carefully when leaving trade-related comments on people's profiles so they don't get slapped in the face with something like this.

I just had that happened to me its some bs, just talk to support they'll take care of you 

Yeah it's just a bot that instantly detects certain words and bans you.

Besides the point but did anyone else have the guy that unbanned you insist that it was your fault and to not do it again? 

54 minutes ago, Melusine said:

Yeah it's just a bot that instantly detects certain words and bans you.

Besides the point but did anyone else have the guy that unbanned you insist that it was your fault and to not do it again? 

Both times they did the same with me. 

I've heard you can only get autobanned like this once, then you're fine to post whatever again but I'm not willing to test it, getting banned last time canceled all my sell orders which was annoying as hell.

Edit: commented to quick, it seems others are saying that you can get banned multiple times like this. Strange how valve suddenly seems to give a shit about scammers when cs2 is about to drop 🤔

yeah i've gotten banned 3 times now

just comment "added for Hazard Handler" or "added for trade" instead of using "buy/sell" comments