Is this untrustworthy?

beaghost

I had an experience with a trader the other day who I thought was untrustworthy. 

Here's how it went imo:

1. User added me to offer on a hat I was selling on bptf.

2. We negotiated the price, and he agreed to 1300 keys in adds.

3. He told me it would take some time to get the keys (undersrtandably), and I asked how long.

4. Without giving me a date or timetable, he told me not to expect the full 1300 keys because he might not have it all in time anyway.

5. Then he told me he needed 5-6 months to collect the keys.

6. Then he removed me as a friend but messaged me one more time to "fucking whine about it" after I told him he wasted my time after he removed me.

(I have the redacted screenshots of the full conversation with the user's name edited out. I don't use forums that much, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post those screenshots here. But if I'm allowed to and it would help, then I'd be happy to do it.)

I think agreeing to a certain number of keys and then removing somebody mid-discussion is untrustworthy and acting in bad faith.

What do you guys think? If this user added you for one of your items, would you want to know that he did something like this? Looking for honest feedback; feel free to disagree with me. (Asking for personal opinions / what you would hypothetically do if you were in my shoes -- not advice on the rules or advice on what I should do.) Lmk what you think!

I mean taking this at face value, the buyer should've reasonably known they couldn't afford the item they were negotiating over, and failed to mention a shortage of funds upfront until after a deal was struck. That alone is enough to deter me from trading with someone, but it's further compounded by the supposed buyer asking for 5-6 months to compile the funds. Of course, you're always free to hold items for users and such, but the buyer should know that's an excessive ask, and shouldn't have ANY expectation that a seller would work with a timeline like that. The buyer's lack of commitment to the purchase is also a red flag. You made the right choice imo.

My go-to response in cases like this is something along the lines of "Okay, not a problem. If you're able to put down 50% of the item(s) value, I will be able to delist/hold it for you for x amount of time. Otherwise, I'll leave my listing up in the interim and I'll let you know if it sells." which in my opinion is a reasonable way to handle it, especially so since THEY contacted YOU. That's certainly not to say that I see it as unreasonable to just flat-out refuse to trade in this case, more of a personal preference (I've been told I'm more courteous than most). Though like I said, 5-6 months is an incredibly unreasonable ask.

TL;DR: Buyer was unreasonable in their asks imo. I think you did the right thing

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 6:04 AM, beaghost said:

I had an experience with a trader the other day who I thought was untrustworthy. 

Here's how it went imo:

1. User added me to offer on a hat I was selling on bptf.

2. We negotiated the price, and he agreed to 1300 keys in adds.

3. He told me it would take some time to get the keys (undersrtandably), and I asked how long.

4. Without giving me a date or timetable, he told me not to expect the full 1300 keys because he might not have it all in time anyway.

5. Then he told me he needed 5-6 months to collect the keys.

6. Then he removed me as a friend but messaged me one more time to "fucking whine about it" after I told him he wasted my time after he removed me.

(I have the redacted screenshots of the full conversation with the user's name edited out. I don't use forums that much, so I don't know if I'm allowed to post those screenshots here. But if I'm allowed to and it would help, then I'd be happy to do it.)

I think agreeing to a certain number of keys and then removing somebody mid-discussion is untrustworthy and acting in bad faith.

What do you guys think? If this user added you for one of your items, would you want to know that he did something like this? Looking for honest feedback; feel free to disagree with me. (Asking for personal opinions / what you would hypothetically do if you were in my shoes -- not advice on the rules or advice on what I should do.) Lmk what you think!

It’s not that big of a deal tbh, when you trade you gotta think of yourself like a storefront, people are gonna come by and browse and talk a big game but you need to weasel out the real customers from the deadbeats

that was a deadbeat, literally as soon as he said I couldn’t collect the full amount you should have kicked him out the store instead of wasting even one more second humoring him

silver lining, now you know better. be firmer next time, get a price and a est of funds collected asap. Lots of people want nice shit but can’t afford it, some are shameless enough to approach you. it happens in real life, and it’s way more common when you’re online and anonymous

If you are asking if this is valid for a -trust on backpack, I wouldn't think so. You two didn't come to a formal agreement that he backed out of. 

That being said, if I am ever unsure, I just file a -trust anyways and let the orange names make the decisions :D (ily dont hurt me)