Red

AwesomeMcCoolName

Thought Questions

1) Explain the color red to a colorblind person.

2) Create a brand new color (and describe it).

3) Other though provoking questions.

Go.

Edjumacate yourself on colorblindness. Usually, they can still see color, they just have a hard time telling the difference between certain colors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Was focusing more on the challenge of describing a color without using another color. It was supposed to be a thought question :S

What does this have to do with Politics, Religion, or Science?

Well, red is a color... So science. Also, it's kind of a serious discussion.

red.jpg

Describing a color with a color isn't very helpful, try again.

2d9o76g.jpg

Describing a color is fairly difficult. 

Imagine raging so bad you wish you had the power to reach through the screen to murder someone. That feeling is one description of the color red.

Well, red is a color... So science.

What's your favorite pony?

MLP is seen in TV and TV is made of mater/TV uses electromagnetism/I watch Science programs on TV/ponies exist irl/ponies have color/etc therefore science.

Seriously that's barely related to the topic, IMO.

By "color-blind" I assume you mean someone who sees in black and white. (Alternatively, you could have said "blind person")

Red is #FF0000 or 255-0-0. (I assume you mean THAT kind of red) On a color spectrum, red has the lowest frequency and the longest wavelength.

Assuming they see in black and white, red is "a color that is rather dark, but not as dark as black".

If they are completely blind, it is impossible. Red cannot be tasted, smelled, heard, or felt.

You know that color that electromagnetic radiation produces when it's wavelength is about 650 nm? That's what red looks like.

How to explain red to a colorblind person: 

Step 1: Pick a random color that you see around you

Step 2: Tell them it's red

Step 3: Let them believe you

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit

On a serious note: Help them associate it using the other senses.  We usually think of red when we think of something being hot, something painful, being angry, things in nature (such as roses, tomatoes, and apples), etc.  Use that to help them get a general understanding of what it is like, since they would never be able to truly know.

On a serious note: Help them associate it using the other senses.  We usually think if red when we think of something being hot, something painful, being angry, things in nature (such as roses, tomatoes, and apples), etc.  Use that to help them get a general understanding of what it is like, since they would never be able to truly know.

But those aren't the color red, those are just things that we associate the color red with; the emotional connotation of a color have nothing to do with the color itself, they're just social constructs.

The color pink used to be the "manliest" color there was, since it was a shade of red it was closely associated with blood and combat. Why is it a "girly" color now? Social context, nothing more.

But those aren't the color red, those are just things that we associate the color red with; the emotional connotation of a color have nothing to do with the color itself, they're just social constructs.

Not quite, you can actually see a red flash when you feel acute pain, it's called synesthesia. Maybe not all experience it, or even realize it but some others do.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/synesthesia-abstract.html

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/p/pain_to_color_synesthesia/intro.htm

Tthat's about as close as someone would be able to get without the person actually being able to see the color.

Not quite, you can actually see a red flash when you feel acute pain, it's called synesthesia. Maybe not all experience it, or even realize it but some others do.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/synesthesia-abstract.html

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/p/pain_to_color_synesthesia/intro.htm

That actually supports my analysis instead of refuting it--both articles you linked make a point of saying that each synesthete has unique colors they related to certain things, even though those colors remain consistent. Some people see red or orange when injured, and others might see blue or purple.

You might argue that a lot of non-synesthete people see red when injured because that's the color of blood, but that wouldn't help describe the color to a color-blind person.

Tthat's about as close as someone would be able to get without the person actually being able to see the color.

You completely missed my point; the various meanings we attach to colors have nothing to do with the colors themselves. Describing a color exclusively by its connotations is arbitrary and pointless.

You completely missed my point; the various meanings we attach to colors have nothing to do with the colors themselves. Describing a color exclusively by its connotations is arbitrary and pointless.

I feel like you missed mine initially. 

the last part of my post:

since they would never be able to truly know.

I noted from the get-go that it's impossible to describe a color to someone that cannot see it without associating it with other things that the person can actually know/see/feel.

Maybe I'm taking your posts wrong, but it seems as if you're saying that trying to describe it to them would be pointless, and to not even bother.

I feel like you missed mine initially. 

the last part of my post:

I noted from the get-go that it's impossible to describe a color to someone that cannot see it without associating it with other things that the person can actually know/see/feel.

Maybe I'm taking your posts wrong, but it seems as if you're saying that trying to describe it to them would be pointless, and to not even bother.

You are saying that the best way to describe a color is by relating it to other things, and using comparisons and emotional implications to explain what that color means rather than what it looks like.

I'm saying those comparisons, relations, and implications don't mean anything because they are arbitrary and empty--therefore, trying to explain a color that way won't mean anything either

Well, the way one of us sees red could be completely different. So maybe how someone else sees red is how I see blue. It's impossible.

What if we are the color blind ones and we suffer from a disorder where we see many colors and the color blind ones are the average people.

What if we are the color blind ones and we suffer from a disorder where we see many colors and the color blind ones are the average people.

dat twilight zone

• 2 weeks later...

Archived