Error loading backpack / Inventory not updating

wen
Abstract
Message added by Abstract,

Read this before making more threads about inventory issues for backpack.tf

Inventories not loading/updating are a result of Steam heavily rate-limiting inventory loading for everyone, including backpack.tf.

Additionally, TF2's item servers are not known to be reliable, especially when there's a new event/sale.

As a result of this, inventories might not load properly or load fallback inventories, which is used when an inventory can't be loaded normally.

Fallback inventories do NOT update your backpack.

You can check how well inventories are loading here: https://next.backpack.tf/almanac/steam-api-health

The only way to resolve your issue(s) is by refreshing your backpack until it loads properly (no errors/fallback).

If you absolutely need to update your backpack, you can use an automatic refresher here: https://forums.backpack.tf/topic/81497-backpack-automatic-refresh-script-2023-edition/

A bazillion other people have the same issue. The fix is on Valve's end. Keep refreshing, open the game, refresh some more, change your loadouts, do whatever tricks people recommend, but stop posting this garbage on the forums, there's already infinite posts about this.

9 hours ago, Banaan said:

Does anyone have a genuine fix for this issue?

Become a top level programmer.

Apply to valve.

Get accepted to work at valve.

Upgrade the tf2 item server infrastructure.

Get fired because your coworkers deemed you to not have equally contributed to the company's success.

(Optional) Apply to become a bp.tf dev.

(Optional) Increase the backend request limits to match the improvements you made at valve (assuming these are needed at all).

If you don't consider keep refreshing (or rather using the refresh script) to be a solution then this is your solution.

If you are one of the dense people who thinks backpack can fix this, go to https://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey and create a key if it doesn't exist, then fill out this url

https://api.steampowered.com/IEconItems_440/GetPlayerItems/v1/?key=&steamid=

by inserting your key after the "key=" and your steam id after the "steamid=". Open that url in a new tab then spam the refresh button until you get a big error 429. Doesn't take long. Backpack probably has at least 100 people trying to load an inventory every minute, it took me less than 50 retries in about 1-2 minutes to hit a 429, frankly it's a miracle they are able to load inventories at all.

Make sure to revoke the api key after you try this.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Banaan said:

Does anyone have a genuine fix for this issue? 200 refreshes is not a real solution to this issue.

there is nothing u can do but refresh. 200 refreshes isn't enough, I'd have sometimes up to 1000

This is awkward, i never really looked at backpack.tf, i just used the steam inventory to see my items. Which is a good alternative, but can be slow at times, either steam is down like literally everyday, or backpack.tf is not working itself. Which backpack.tf literally resets every 2 years.

I saw some people having same issues, but they were all refreshed manually by moderators, and it seems some backpacks are still not automatically refreshed currently.

I would like to get mine updated too, but I also want to know what exactly causes this and if they are gonna fix this. It has been a bit uncomfortable because I haven't been able to list some items I wanted to sell for keys.

Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Nihil said:

I saw some people having same issues, but they were all refreshed manually by moderators, and it seems some backpacks are still not automatically refreshed currently.

I would like to get mine updated too, but I also want to know what exactly causes this and if they are gonna fix this. It has been a bit uncomfortable because I haven't been able to list some items I wanted to sell for keys.

Thanks.

Moderators have zero control over inventory loading. I've added information at the top of this thread for whoever reads it.

I've had this issue for the past six months and i am not sure what to do . Tried a bunch of things yesterday including: 

-Maniacally refreshing pc/mobile 

-Trading via pc/mobile 

-Listing items pc/mobile

-Praying

And it worked .... kinda now instead of being stuck six months ago it's stuck in yesterday.The problem is i don't know what fixed it at least temporarily.  The main thing is that I can't list any items for sale which is the main reason i want it fixed 

Post #123745827349857 on this issue.

On a serious note, theres nothing backpack can do about it, it's on steam's side. The most you can do is to keep refreshing. Been like this for quite a while.