He turned out to be a scammer

Kolt

I remember making a forumm post about this user a month or two ago about the red flags that this dude presented. Although they were noted, nothing was really done. 

https://backpack.tf/trust/76561198335271745

Well turns out dude was infact an exit scammer and has scammed a ton of people of their nice shit.

I think it's time backpack.tf incorporates some features that warn people of red flags such as Sketchy, obviously farmed +reps, connections with scammers etc.

• Like 5

Yea people keep falling for the same thing over and over. I wonder if it's even the same person doing it rinse and repeat. They just do a bunch of cash trades for like 2-3 months to build up some rep just buying keys and easy to sell items and then exit scam. Really sorry for the people who got taken advantage of.

• Haha 1

Reminder that 2/3 of the victims likely would’ve been saved if steamrep processed the report when all the evidence was submitted (4 days ago lmao) (it’s still pending)

• Like 4

I got a good feeling this isn't his first time around. There was this other alt by the name of Eudai or now its called Merci Beauxcoup. He did the same strategy gave half or a portion in keys and promised to give "cash." Actually there are other alts that operated the same way as soda, such as Sunday, Garbage and Merci. It's crazy he'll just do it again. xd

1 hour ago, N.J said:

Reminder that 2/3 of the victims likely would’ve been saved if steamrep processed the report when all the evidence was submitted (4 days ago lmao) (it’s still pending)

https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198335271745-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.199053/ finally got accepted. This is unfortunately a little too late though. 

Edited by RussellSproutz_YT
revised link

3 minutes ago, RussellSproutz_YT said:

https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198335271745-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.199053/ finally got accepted. This is unfortunately a little too late though. 

Nope it’s still not accepted, the ban came directly from backpack from one of his later victims. Credit where it’s due backpack was very quick to respond to it, which certainly surprised me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.J said:

Nope it’s still not accepted, the ban came directly from backpack from one of his later victims. Credit where it’s due backpack was very quick to respond to it, which certainly surprised me.

Oh you are right. Scumbags like these exit scammers can't keep getting away with it. 

2 minutes ago, RussellSproutz_YT said:

Oh you are right. Scumbags like these exit scammers can't keep getting away with it. 

In my opinion steamrep is too slow and antiquated to be of any value. They should free their good little slaves and let something better take it’s place. I suppose backpack qualifies as “better”, and would be certainly preferable if it was this quick in response every time.

Without even changing the ban system, changing the reputation system to require a cash value placed on the transaction and proof of the transaction would massively reduce the ability of would be scammers to farm/fake rep. A temporary suspension system for suspected exit scammers imo is also a price worth paying.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, N.J said:

In my opinion steamrep is too slow and antiquated to be of any value. They should free their good little slaves and let something better take it’s place. I suppose backpack qualifies as “better”, and would be certainly preferable if it was this quick in response every time.

Without even changing the ban system, changing the reputation system to require a cash value placed on the transaction and proof of the transaction would massively reduce the ability of would be scammers to farm/fake rep. A temporary suspension system for suspected exit scammers imo is also a price worth paying.

I 100% agree with that. If it prevents future exit scams, I'm all for it.

Yeah, it's a shame. Had to cut ties with a decent, (albeit weird), pal of about 3 years because I can't just act like I'm cool with it. I do stand by the good faith I held at the time, he really did just have a load of weird manneurisms, but man. Dat's tuff.

• Sad 1

I actually closed one of my price suggestions, Neutron star herald's helm, after realizing he got marked as a scammer today and turns out the item the person he traded with was also a scammer by the name of Sunday.

https://backpack.tf/item/12126317017 

https://backpack.tf/suggestion/6342abd939b8bc63080bcb40

Tbh I have to say its definitely his alt too and it isn't his first time around to do it. Soda is just one of the many "mules" he uses.

This guy added me, and then never told me what he added me for, even after I tried to check back in with him a few times. Then this morning he randomly messaged me "666" at 6:00 AM. What a weirdo.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Problem is its just to easy for them. Its been the same method for years and people keep falling victim to it. Trade with keys, sell them on mannco or something. The fees they take are a lot less than the complete loss of an item.

Hopefully karma comes back to bite them, because that's just about all the punishment they can physically receive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoundHead said:

Problem is its just to easy for them. Its been the same method for years and people keep falling victim to it. Trade with keys, sell them on mannco or something. The fees they take are a lot less than the complete loss of an item.

Hopefully karma comes back to bite them, because that's just about all the punishment they can physically receive. 

100% it'll come back sooner than later that's for sure.

I've left -trust on their's profile but it was deleted by moderators because it's not huge red flag when person offers you crypto for your most expensive item and then refuses paying with keys.

Backpack really should do something with this problem, maybe even new system of rating.