Chirstmas 2022

Shotgun

>4 new maps that are average, none of them end up in regular rotation

>New cosmetic case with 1 worthwhile cosmetic and a pile of overly themed garbage that the greedy goblins of the workshop slapped together in 15 minutes with the intention of getting it into the game rather than making something good

>New warpaint case with 2 mediocre paints and another 12 that nobody wants anything to do with

>New set of unusual effects that get unboxed in small quantities and largely forgotten about

>Smissmas stocking, including round 6 of exactly the same disgusting warpaint we've gotten the last 5 years

Place your bets

17 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

We've still got a few classes that don't have their own exclusive elf hat yet.

youre giving them ideas

2021 had a couple solid maps (Altitude is really interesting, Bread Space is conceptually cool even if it falls a little flat). Cosmetics were awful though, some of the worst Smissmas cosmetics we've seen, only the Festive Frames and maybe the Ominous Offering are wearable with much of anything. Special mention can go to the Scout elf shirt for finally completing that set after IDEK how long. Unusual hat effects were bland as all hell, but the taunt effects were pretty great.

2020 gave us a really solid Payload map with Pier, and an absolutely god-tier meme with Wutville (And I will die on the hill that Wutville's aesthetic is actually extremely appropriate in TF2), along with 2 mid maps. Cosmetics were again garbage-tier by and large, with maybe the Particulate Protector being useable (and I guess the Medic/Heavy pajama sets if you're into that extremely niche aesthetic). It also introduced some impressively hideous war paints. Hat effects were much better than 2021, but in turn the taunt effects were pretty meh.

The real takeaway? The only consistently positive aspect of every update the past couple years (yes, even the pain that was Scream Fortress 2021) has been the taunts themselves. We've been getting tons of great taunts; in 2021 the Sniper Shootout and Hot Wheeler were stand-outs (Defibs were meh yeah), and in 2020 the Boston Boarder, Spin to Win, Pooped Deck, Texas Trucker, Time Out Therapy, and Fist Bump all introduced some really clever and interesting taunts (The rocket and piano were w/e).

That being said, I am mildly optimistic for Smissmas this year, if only because the Summer and Scream Fortress cases this year have felt like someone sat down and actually put a modicum of effort into picking cosmetics that fit the vibes of the updates, while still offering interesting cosmetic options. Also because we got Helltrain, I still am not over Convoy kind of getting in the game after all this time.

apparently a lot of fixes for wutville were ready but weren't implemented / added last year , i don't know why

also,i once saw some screenshots of the "original" version of wutville and it was actually pretty cool

most people seem to dislike bread space,i don't mind it but it does tend to make the game crash

this is both valve's fault for not playtesting the map(s) and the creator's for never fixing issues once a map gets added

i really like scream fortress,never really cared for the christmas update tbh . 2 extra backpack pages though

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really like to see them add some new Festive Weapons options, but it has been years since the last time they did, so it's just going to be a lot more Smissmas War Paints which all look extremely similar to those which are already present in the game.

I expect the Hats/Effects to be overly Christmas-themed and therefore undesirable for most of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, it's my favorite holiday, but I wish that the folks on the Workshop would design more subtle, Winter-themed cosmetics, or at least include alternative style options for their Christmas-themed cosmetics which would make them more appropriate for general use.