How do you guys find items to buy?

fex

I was just wondering what most of the people here use to find hats and stuff to buy. I know a lot of people use backpack.tf, but HOW do you use it? Look at random unusual hats until you find a cheap one? Look at player profiles? Just wondering what most people do. 

Have an idea of what you're looking for? Do you have a budget?

Basically what I do (apart from buying every vaccinator that I can) is ill just be minding my own business, and try to think of a concept; be it a theme, such as like fire, or maybe a color scheme, like blue or purple. Then go to loadout.tf and have the tf2 wiki page open, and see what different stuff combo'd looks like. Once I come up with an idea that I like, I try to get the hats with the effects, and see if my loadout idea is possible. Then I browse to see if they're for sale, if not, I buy premium, and respectfully annoy people :D

Entirely depends on what you're looking for, thats just me personally.

1 hour ago, fex said:

I was just wondering what most of the people here use to find hats and stuff to buy. I know a lot of people use backpack.tf, but HOW do you use it? Look at random unusual hats until you find a cheap one? Look at player profiles? Just wondering what most people do. 

If you want to build up sets, I recommend you using loadout.tf or checking the wiki as Lucyfer said. Loadout.tf grants you access to all cosmetics (even painted versions) and unusual effects to give you an idea of how you want to appear in-game. When you have a clear visual of your wanted cosmetics, you can use the filters to find what are you looking for. The new version of backpack.tf (next.backpack.tf) has better and more sophisticated filters to help you finding what you want with ease. Keep in mind, though, that depending on what you desire, you may not find it instantly or you may find it for a price way higher than your budget. Good luck!

I like looking through the promoted classifieds for interesting items that aren't too expensive personally. Right now I'm trying to get pro KS kits for my different loadouts and I'm slowly doing that over time while looking for stuff like certain spelled items and nifty lil things to add to my collection of stuff! I have a hat with legacy paint, a spelled Gibus and Alien Swarm Parasite, a Collector's Pro KS Detonator (that one came from trading in an unusual server actually), and many other things. Sometimes looking around at people's items gives me ideas as well!

Biggest miss was barely missing getting a tradable Black Rose, I couldn't play AVA on my computer (had a macbook) and when I got a Windows PC I think AVA was gone, so I was excited but it got sniped by someone. The other stuff I have is cool though! Just gotta look, get ideas, and then search around for the stuff you're interested in. It can be a lot of fun honestly! I haven't even touched unusual trading quite yet

For the most part I just buy what I want at the best price I can get it at. Sometimes if I see a decently priced or undervalued item I'll snag it and flip it, but it takes patience. I've held some low-tiers in the past for a few months but ended up making 40-50% profit. 

Nowadays I just buy what I want at a fair price. If there's something that I want, someone else is likely to want it as well, and I'll profit when I decide to sell down the line. 

16 hours ago, Lucyfer said:

Basically what I do (apart from buying every vaccinator that I can) is ill just be minding my own business, and try to think of a concept; be it a theme, such as like fire, or maybe a color scheme, like blue or purple. Then go to loadout.tf and have the tf2 wiki page open, and see what different stuff combo'd looks like. Once I come up with an idea that I like, I try to get the hats with the effects, and see if my loadout idea is possible. Then I browse to see if they're for sale, if not, I buy premium, and respectfully annoy people

I think that guy was trying to ask us how to profit and get free money

Eeh, it was a broad question, I guess. Lucyfer's answer was helpful.  Though yeah, I was kinda talking about trading and flipping hats.  I know how to profit and trade and stuff, I was just wondering what other traders do.

1 hour ago, fex said:

Eeh, it was a broad question, I guess. Lucyfer's answer was helpful.  Though yeah, I was kinda talking about trading and flipping hats.  I know how to profit and trade and stuff, I was just wondering what other traders do.

If everyone shared their trade strategy, no one would profit

• Like 1