Holy shit dupes aren't a thing anymore

nutellatoes

So if you don't know what I'm saying, some hacker just straight up deleted bp's item database, which means that you can't view any history anymore. 

This essentially means that every single item in tf2 is back to day 1.

Dupes don't matter anymore

Every hat is (and likely will forever be) clean

And here's the kicker:

the item database will likely never be restored

At least that's what I got out of the announcement

I wanna know what the trading community thinks of this and how they would feel if the people at bp just decided that they weren't going to restore the item db

30 minutes ago, nutellatoes said:

So if you don't know what I'm saying, some hacker just straight up deleted bp's item database, which means that you can't view any history anymore. 

This essentially means that every single item in tf2 is back to day 1.

Dupes don't matter anymore

And here's the kicker:

the item database will likely never be restored

At least that's what I got out of the announcement

I wanna know what the trading community thinks of this and how they would feel if the people at bp just decided that they weren't going to restore the item db

I doubt bp.tf gives a shit lol

1 hour ago, nutellatoes said:

Dupe tracking is completely ephemeral; dupe status is not stored with items. As all the items are being reindexed by the last snapshot of everyones backpack (and as items are traded over time) these tags will reappear.

Good example here

https://web.archive.org/web/20180917154658/https://backpack.tf/item/783474370 

https://backpack.tf/item/783474370

But it would be nice for people to finally stop saying "uhm duped give me 80% off" when the tag just shows a couple more exist

Thats not the case though?

Items have 2 IDs, one that keeps incrementing with each action and one original id, which remains the same. So items that may not seem duped now still have duplicate ids and will show as duped again once they start moving

• Like 1

Ofc it'll be restored with a backup.

They have no interest in letting it stays as it is now. Item's histories are the pillar of premium abilities. Without it, they will sell way less premium subscriptions, which wouldn't be in their best interest...

IMO, the only thing good about what happened isn't about the dupes but about the impossibility that premium sharks could find their victims (for now). The longer the fix will be, the better it'll be for the community

39 minutes ago, ApothicЯ said:

They have no interest in letting it stays as it is now. Item's histories are the pillar of premium abilities. Without it, they will sell way less premium subscriptions, which wouldn't be in their best interest...

IMO, the only thing good about what happened isn't about the dupes but about the impossibility that premium sharks could find their victims (for now). The longer the fix will be, the better it'll be for the community

Never paid for a premium sub, i just made bunch of unu suggestions and saved up 150 tickets for a month premium 

7 hours ago, ApothicЯ said:

Sounds like they don't have a backup?

The good news: We can restore the active item table from recent inventory snapshot data that we keep.
The bad news: It seems highly unlikely we will be able to restore item history entries.

1 hour ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Sounds like they don't have a backup?

So what I'm seeing is in the PAST 10 YEARS they were too lazy to create a backup system that can store 20tb of data. 20tb is nothing. I would have expected them to have at minimum a 3, 2, 1 system, but apparently not. I'm honestly so confused as to what their priorities are.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for when we see someone that's collected TF2 Youtuber owned items for half a decade come on here absolutely livid that their $10,000 collection has been reduced to base market value.

Really the only noteworthy problem is that you could potentially """scam""" people because it'll likely be a couple weeks before a lot of duped items return to being tagged as duped, right? So you can trick someone into buying your clean hat but oh wait a week later turns out it was duped all along.

This will put the trading community into an awful predicament: either cease trading high tiers for a couple of grueling weeks under threat that they'll get epicly SCREWED by getting shadow-dupe items, or admit that "i pay less for dupes" was always just to make more profit and that caring about dupes for what they represent hasn't made any sense since like 2013.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, Mr365truck said:

So what I'm seeing is in the PAST 10 YEARS they were too lazy to create a backup system that can store 20tb of data. 20tb is nothing. I would have expected them to have at minimum a 3, 2, 1 system, but apparently not. I'm honestly so confused as to what their priorities are.

probably got rid of the backup to pay for the new site

23 hours ago, Slam said:

I'm waiting for when we see someone that's collected TF2 Youtuber owned items for half a decade come on here absolutely livid that their $10,000 collection has been reduced to base market value.

I have a few such items that are now 'worthless' however, they never really had any real value anyway because the market for items that aren't even signed or crafted is so absurdly small.  Overall, if I look at the amount that I paid over market value for all the items I am probably out a few keys for items which I never expected to sell anyway. I do know of some people paying upwards of 50 keys for an item that had been in a Ster_ video and I am guessing they are having a less than stellar day right now.

I’m still going to autistically make sure all my hats are clean, however I can, using archive pages etc. I’m definitely an outlier tho. 

On 6/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, Vincentius said:

probably got rid of the backup to pay for the new site

and instead of creating a backup, they're working on a reskin of the site. Their priorities seem a bit out of order to me.