I'm curious as to what's going on with halloween unusual prices

r0b

I recently came back to the game when i left in 2019, i remember Arcana, Spellboud, burning bats, Bonzo, Knifestorm, Harvest Moon, Cloudy Moon, Stormy 13th, Secret always being high tier, but now in 2022 i see that the aforementioned effects and pretty much the rest of the 2011-2018 halloweens have gone up in price by a LOT, hats that were worth 250~ keys now selling for 700, and hats that were 500~ now selling for over a thousand keys!

Not only does this apply for halloweens, but i've also seen End of the Line effects, as well as robo effects selling for more nowadays.

I'm genuinely curious as to what drove the demand up so high that made already desirable effects that much more coveted, could it be that people are seeking a refugee from inflation by investing in TF2 unusuals? Or maybe the pandemic brought more people in and therefore increased the amount of potential buyers? Or just simply due to many more effects and hats now available that it made the desirability for previous effects to go up and therefore people competing with each other by offering more?

What are your personal thoughts?

Supply and demand, they’re rare effects which can’t be obtained anymore. Once a collector or a non trader buys something, the market is more scarce. Sellers then increase prices and other follow.

no, it's not entirely "supply and demand" as people say. Demand has basically remained unchanged or only slightly increased in the past 2-3 years.

It's the fact that you can buy an old halloween for, say, 500 keys, re-list it immediately for 700 keys, and as long as you didn't get a trash-tier hat that you stupidly overpaid for, or bought a hat that has 3 of the exact same hat+effect on the market, it will guaranteed sell within a couple months for near or full B/O price. Traders are just putting those hats through that same cycle over and over to generate free money. Because of the value of these hats now being far beyond what most people are able or willing to pay on a video game to obtain, you rarely if ever see average joes buy these old school god-tiers, it's almost exclusively traders and a very slim majority of people like me that said fuck it and moved capital into this hat simulator, so it's not like the demand is skyrocketing because average joe's with cash to burn see these old god tiers are being bought up, because the amount of them on the market has remained unchanged all these years.

I'm not even a trader, my dumbass paid for most of my backpack value, and even I managed to make a 250+ key profit on an old 1-of-1 halloween hat within a couple weeks of buying it. And it's not like I got a crazy good deal, it was a 3-month unsold hat I paid near-B/O for.

• Astonished 2

I feel one big driving factor has been the crytobros treating the items like NFTs, each trying to buy into the hype before it's too late, which just increases prices further.

3 hours ago, r0b said:

I recently came back to the game when i left in 2019, i remember Arcana, Spellboud, burning bats, Bonzo, Knifestorm, Harvest Moon, Cloudy Moon, Stormy 13th, Secret always being high tier, but now in 2022 i see that the aforementioned effects and pretty much the rest of the 2011-2018 halloweens have gone up in price by a LOT, hats that were worth 250~ keys now selling for 700, and hats that were 500~ now selling for over a thousand keys!

Not only does this apply for halloweens, but i've also seen End of the Line effects, as well as robo effects selling for more nowadays.

I'm genuinely curious as to what drove the demand up so high that made already desirable effects that much more coveted, could it be that people are seeking a refugee from inflation by investing in TF2 unusuals? Or maybe the pandemic brought more people in and therefore increased the amount of potential buyers? Or just simply due to many more effects and hats now available that it made the desirability for previous effects to go up and therefore people competing with each other by offering more?

What are your personal thoughts?

image.png.19eec9b9849b31f466c5c4a66d9ce38a.png

7 hours ago, itstaytay said:

Id rather burn $20,000 than spend it on god awful looking hat like VFF misc or not it’s so ugly...

yeah fair enough but when you consider other all class misc unusuals you want to get and which are available on market you might end up for the buying vvf. I agree we need better and more unusual miscs lol

7 hours ago, itstaytay said:

Id rather burn $20,000 than spend it on god awful looking hat like VFF misc or not it’s so ugly...

Just buy every single Yeti taunt in the game and open up a zoo.

Greed. Simple. People want it all in one go instead of gradually trading up.

16 hours ago, Lucyfer said:

image.png.19eec9b9849b31f466c5c4a66d9ce38a.png

For their sake, better have bought for keeps. There may be a trader or 2 crazy enough to spend more for them, but that's pretty much it. If you bought with the intention to re-sell, then you're an idiot.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, KN1F3 said:

Greed. Simple. People want it all in one go instead of gradually trading up.

For their sake, better have bought for keeps. There may be a trader or 2 crazy enough to spend more for them, but that's pretty much it. If you bought with the intention to re-sell, then you're an idiot.

I saw some guy on the feature classifieds saying he declined 3400 pure for his haunted ghosts VFF, was he stupid or do you think someone actually wants to pay $5000 for this hat 

16 hours ago, itstaytay said:

I saw some guy on the feature classifieds saying he declined 3400 pure for his haunted ghosts VFF, was he stupid or do you think someone actually wants to pay $5000 for this hat 

It's possible simply cause it ain't 20 grand or another obscene high figure(not that 5k is chump change mind you). That person may have been thinking "my only chance to own a VFF I like" cause it goes back to the point that a darkblaze VFF at this point is out of reach for like...95-98% of traders.