*URGENT* TRADING NOT CURRENTLY SAFE

Al Solae

An exploit has recently been discovered that has allowed keys to be used to open crates before trades fully go through, allowing them to be stolen. It is also possible for hats or other items to be stolen too. Avoid trading for the time being until valve fixes the issue, and if you have had your items stolen contact Valve Customer Support. 

This was brought to my attention by Sum1, who was likely the first person to discover the exploit, and has already reported it. Inform your friends, and don't trade with anyone for the time being.

Edit to include comment from Sum1 for visibility:

I found it originally. https://imgur.com/a/QLLfuWB This sums it up.

I was trying to buy keys to purchase a Molten Hazard. The trade gave us a ton of issues and we found that you could unbox and the trade would kick back without the key. 

Later on that day I tried to buy an unusual for my brother and I won't say what I did but the keys bounced back and I still had the hat. I have reached out to the bot owner to pay them when this is resolved.

You can see from the trade history and chat logs for the unboxing kick back. You can also see where the bot didn't think I had the item but I did and was able to trade it. There is no trade for it coming into my inv. 

I'm not even on the history https://backpack.tf/item/7441185727

I am sorry the video is low quality. I used xbox pc thing to record it and 360 is the best it would go. I can screen shot any part that isn't clear.

Edited by Al Solae
Including important comment

I've seen people say it only works on trades with 100 items, 50 items, and 5 items. For the time being avoid trading altogether, and if you have any trade bots take them down until this is resolved. It's not worth risking any trades right now.

so yeah whenever im buying 200+ items in one go, it takes a few minutes for the trade to come through

All Gladiator.TF bots have been shut down since 18:00PM GMT+1 due to this.

Funds are safe for any Gladiator Bot Owner.

To anyone else, do NOT trade and wait for an official response.

3 minutes ago, w0lk said:

Proof of this actually happening? Not seeing any trade history or screenshots anywhere so far

I have seen people in servers performing it with each other. Supposedly, someone stole a number of keys from scrap.tf too, though I'm unsure of the legitimacy of that claim. I've seen it happen, and I believe it to be legit. If you have a trade bot, you should take it offline for the time being, and avoid making trades. The risk is not worth it. 

• Thanks 1

I'll wait to see proof before freaking out. 

EDIT: Proof has been provided; be careful with big trades y'all.

Edited by bob_2_
I was wrong.

10 minutes ago, w0lk said:

Proof of this actually happening? Not seeing any trade history or screenshots anywhere so far

fuckvalve1.jpg

fuckvalve2.jpg

fuckvalve3.jpg

fuckvalve4.jpg

fuckvalve5.jpg

Legit I had a theory about a exploit like this except it was for trade ups instead. Crazy to think if this is actually real, I never tried it because I thought it would have been a waste of time. 

15 hours ago, TheFlyingSpaghettiMonster said:

fuckvalve1.jpg

fuckvalve2.jpg

fuckvalve3.jpg

fuckvalve4.jpg

fuckvalve5.jpg

Does this prove anything beyond the fact that trades are failing and items are getting returned? 

EDIT: This really does seem to be legit. The evidence in this thread is pretty damn strong now.

Edited by bob_2_
I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, TheFlyingSpaghettiMonster said:

fuckvalve1.jpg

fuckvalve2.jpg

fuckvalve3.jpg

fuckvalve4.jpg

fuckvalve5.jpg

you sure it is proof of exploit? 
i receive this messages whole day when trade with bots, does few different bots try to scam me? even scraptf? but items return in inventory

seems its rare steam error, affected not only tf

15 minutes ago, bob_2_ said:

Does this prove anything beyond the fact that trades are failing and items are getting returned? 

unknown.png

NitroDexXRL was repeatedly selling the same items to scrap and using the keys to unbox. Pretty sure this is happening bro

10 minutes ago, The Red Chicken said:

unknown.png

NitroDexXRL was repeatedly selling the same items to scrap and using the keys to unbox. Pretty sure this is happening bro

Why tf is NitroDex doing that. The dude literally told me it's safe to trade between non-bot users. 

2 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

Why tf is NitroDex doing that. The dude literally told me it's safe to trade between non-bot users. 

He was in Vatican boasting about how he stole more than 400 keys from scrap oof

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cosmos said:

It's not safe to trade with anyone. 

This is not the crate depression 2.0. It won't cause any market crash, but will result in a lot of stolen items and a lot of changes to various services. As long as you don't trade, you won't be affected. Might be a good idea to private your inventory if you're paranoid, delete your steam api keys, do whatever you can to stay safe, but as long as you don't trade, you shouldn't be affected by the current exploit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The crate depression was a bug within the game that caused a massive influx of unusuals to the economy that caused a crash, this is just theft. Items are being moved around, but not created or destroyed. I don't know the ultimate consequences of this, but everyones best bet is to just hold on to what you have until valve fixes things. Panic selling your inventory is just liable to get your stuff stolen. 

I found it originally. https://imgur.com/a/QLLfuWB This sums it up.

I was trying to buy keys to purchase a Molten Hazard. The trade gave us a ton of issues and we found that you could unbox and the trade would kick back without the key. 

Later on that day I tried to buy an unusual for my brother and I won't say what I did but the keys bounced back and I still had the hat. I have reached out to the bot owner to pay them when this is resolved.

You can see from the trade history and chat logs for the unboxing kick back. You can also see where the bot didn't think I had the item but I did and was able to trade it. There is no trade for it coming into my inv. 

I'm not even on the history https://backpack.tf/item/7441185727

I am sorry the video is low quality. I used xbox pc thing to record it and 360 is the best it would go. I can screen shot any part that isn't clear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cosmos said: