Banned, which means good bye

Christley </3 Peelz

So people can't get scammed by them?

I think you misinterpreted what I meant, or maybe I did. It was a rhetorical question

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really very simple.

If you think profit is more important that reputation and moral, go for it. Don't lose 1 minute. That makes you no different than phishers, they are also in for the profit.

And if you don't think trading with scammers is a problem, do it. Just don't complain if you get banned later. Use sites that don't care about scamming. Nobody is forced to accept our rules, but if you use the site it means you accept them. If you don't accept them, just leave.

I think the issue is more with the severity of the ban.

Many people just don't check everyone they trade with because it is way too time consuming and they are lazy. Encouraging more people to start doing simple background checks is great but throwing out the occasional perma-ban is not the way it should be done. It does little to encourage more background checks (people might get scared of getting perma-banned and start doing it for a few days but most will eventually stop doing it again) and it only makes the admins in charge look like heartless despots.

Punishment is too harsh, probably should've only been a week.

He's not the scammer anyways, I've known people who've traded with phishers and they haven't gotten banned.

He's welcome to appeal, as anybody else.

And you are welcome to report them to us.

Many people just don't check everyone they trade with because it is way too time consuming and they are lazy. Encouraging more people to start doing simple background checks is great but throwing out the occasional perma-ban is not the way it should be done. It does little to encourage more background checks (people might get scared of getting perma-banned and start doing it for a few days but most will eventually stop doing it again) and it only makes the admins in charge look more despotic and heartless.

Agreed for once. 1-2 week ban would have been adequate in my opinion.  

Posted · Hidden by polar, March 6, 2014 - Personal attacks
Hidden by polar, March 6, 2014 - Personal attacks

It was like BSOD already had the ban hammer unsheathed, he just needed a reason to use it; I daresay BSOD didn't even bother hearing him out. Christly had a legitimate reason which was quite logical for trading with the scammer: he had goods Christly wanted and could supply them for the right price. SteamRep does take ages to load and it's understandable that one wouldn't take precious time out of a trade just to check for fear of losing such trade. Certainly, the conversation between BSOD and Christly could have gone better; it's a little convoluted. I doubt BSOD even checks SteamRep on HIS trades either or else he would have understood Christly's position.

To me this seems a bit over the top, but then again it is OP and I have seen some worse reasons for bans.

One of my friends was permanently banned for having an Invis Watch with a Hitler joke in the name and description. 

Why is bsod saying christley should appeal?

He was the one who made the ban, why is he encouraging its uplifting?

I will remain indifferent until further conversation or points are made.

Posted · Hidden by polar, March 6, 2014 - Personal attacks
Hidden by polar, March 6, 2014 - Personal attacks

Nobody is foced to accept our rules, but if you use the site it means you accept them. If you don't accept them, just leave.

You're either with us or against us. Comrade commissar Stalin surely won't invade the Fatherland!

--hidden post--

--hidden post---

Yes, trading with marked scammers should get you a ban no matter how big or small the worth. I'm don't really understand your thought process, are you okay with having scammers? If ppl are regularly trading with scammers, it doesn't punish them.

Why is bsod saying christley should appeal?

He was the one who made the ban, why is he encouraging its uplifting?

I will remain indifferent until further conversation or points are made.

He's saying he can appeal the ban if he chooses to. I believe everyone gets that option?

I can see you're attempting to play Devil's advocate here. I wouldn't. It's rather exhausting.

I know, because I used to defend bp.tf mod decisions on key suggestions.

Yes, trading with marked scammers should get you a ban no matter how big or small the worth. I'm don't really understand your thought process, are you okay with having scammers? If ppl are regularly trading with scammers, it doesn't punish them.

If people regularly trade with scammers then a ban is worthy, but not checking every single trader you trade with is not. Theres no way in hell i'm going to check the current and pending status of a user on SR every time i try to sell a weapon. I'm sorry, thats bullshit. 

Should you check SR for high value trades? Yes. Will you get marked by SR for repeatedly trading with scammers? If the items weren't just plain simple hats then yes, if they were then no. Should you get banned for trading with a scammer once? No. 

Many people just don't check everyone they trade with because it is way too time consuming and they are lazy. Encouraging more people to start doing simple background checks is great but throwing out the occasional perma-ban is not the way it should be done. It does little to encourage more background checks (people might get scared of getting perma-banned and start doing it for a few days but most will eventually stop doing it again) and it only makes the admins in charge look like heartless despots.

If you know you are supposed to do something and you didn't, who is to blame? The site or the user?

If one is knowingly not doing it to be able profit then their pocket is more important than their reputation. Why should we care to let anyone like this in our community?

There are several examples of traders making big bucks without trading with scammers. It takes 10 seconds to check an account on SR and 15 seconds to check on Outpost or any other popular site. Laziness can't be used as an excuse.

I understand one may lose time doing multiple checks, but these checks are the only thing helping the community fight scammers. If we didn't require care from people then there would be absolute no reason to ban or mark scammers.

And if it's causing that much trouble to anyone to spend 30 seconds checking an account, use another site.

In my opinion, Christley should have gotten a week or two ban as a sort of a warning and a "lessoned learned" kind of thing. I personally think a perma-ban for simply not checking is too harsh. I believe in all of that "second chance" shit but if you do it again, off with your head.

If one is knowingly not doing it to be able profit then their pocket is more important than their reputation. Why should we care to let anyone like this in our community?

There are several examples of traders making big bucks without trading with scammers. It takes 10 seconds to check an account on SR and 15 seconds to check on Outpost or any other popular site. Laziness can't be used as an excuse.

I understand one may lose time doing multiple checks, but these checks are the only thing helping the community fight scammers. If we didn't require care from people then there would be absolute no reason to ban or mark scammers.

And if it's causing that much trouble to anyone to spend 30 seconds checking an account, use another site.

Thats not the reason to not do it. SR won't mark you for selling a weapon to a scammer for a scrap, nor would anyone in their right mind. Its a meaningless trade and doesn't even warrant SRs server resources required to pull up that account. 

For larger items (i.e. unusuals) I can understand making it a requirement, but perms-banning someone for trading with a scammer once is a tad excessive. If he was doing it on multiple occasions, then fine. But one incident should not lead to a perma-ban. 

Quite a lot of people will be doing that if outpost and its moderators continue with this kind of behavior.

And also, why did you lie about not discussing this topic anymore?

I think that deserves a perma ban.

Posted · Hidden by Distinctively Vincent, March 6, 2014 - Personal attacks
Hidden by Distinctively Vincent, March 6, 2014 - Personal attacks

BSOD, It's not our job to fight the nazi's *COUGH* I mean scammers, that's your job. But with judgement like this then the scammers have already won.

In that case, ban ~33% of regular traders, see how far that gets you without "the community getting f*cked"

Nobody said about regularly trading with scammers, if they're going out of their way to trade exclusively with scammers, then yes, they deserve a ban.  But not checking steamrep for buying a piss cheap hat does not.

I doubt BSOD even checks SteamRep on HIS trades either or else he would have understood Christly's position.

I don't accept random friends requests. I don't trade with marked users. I don't add anybody without them posting on my trades or on my profile. I check every single item I will receive. The only exceptions are people I investigate.

Yes, I do my homework very well. I should be the example. And everyone should be an example of trust.

Ask anybody on SR if you have doubts.

I can see you're attempting to play Devil's advocate here. I wouldn't. It's rather exhausting.

I know, because I used to defend bp.tf mod decisions on key suggestions.

I'm more interested hearing ppl's thought process for these kinds of things. I feel like a lot of ppl will go blame admins for anything, but the second they get scammed themselves, they'll go crying to them and wanting every scammer/person who trades with scammers to get banned.

Thats not the reason to not do it. SR won't mark you for selling a weapon to a scammer for a scrap, nor would anyone in their right mind. Its a meaningless trade and doesn't even warrant SRs server resources required to pull up that account. 

For larger items (i.e. unusuals) I can understand making it a requirement, but perms-banning someone for trading with a scammer once is a tad excessive. If he was doing it on multiple occasions, then fine. But one incident should not lead to a perma-ban. 

Nobody is talking about marking on SR. This is not my call or policy.

You can see the items he traded for, and what he said about checking users. I'm providing input on policies/rules, not discussing his case.

If you know you are supposed to do something and you didn't, who is to blame? The site or the user?

That's fine, do whatever you want but remember this:

You say everyone should care more about their reputation and morals than profit. If you continue making bans like this, when people think of your reputation ,BSOD, 95% of people will think "what a f@#$%! @$$%&^" not "what a great moral leader"

Just look at Butane.

Posted · Hidden by polar, March 6, 2014 - Please reconsider what it really means to call someone a nazi
Hidden by polar, March 6, 2014 - Please reconsider what it really means to call someone a nazi

BSOD, It's not our job to fight the nazi's *COUGH* I mean scammers, that's your job. But with judgement like this then the scammers have already won.

Poor analogy. If anything the mods are the nazis trying to round up anyone and anything associated with scamers (the jews in this senario) regardless of how involved they actually were with scamming activities.

In that case, ban ~33% of regular traders, see how far that gets you without "the community getting f*cked"

Nobody said about regularly trading with scammers, if they're going out of their way to trade exclusively with scammers, then yes, they deserve a ban.  But not checking steamrep for buying a piss cheap hat does not.

This isn't something you can have both ways. Trading with a scammer for 1 scrap, is still trading with a scammer. They have the rules in place for trading with scammers. The admins follow it.

I meant regularly trading with scammers as a whole community, not 1 person regularly trading with scammers. If everyone had the idea that trading with scammers is okay, but only if it's for low worth items, things would get messed up.

I believe the guy who got banned traded for unusuals anyways. It wasn't for weapons. Pretty high value stuff I'd say.

In my opinion, Christley should have gotten a week or two ban as a sort of a warning and a "lessoned learned" kind of thing. I personally think a perma-ban for simply not checking is too harsh. I believe in all of that "second chance" shit but if you do it again, off with your head.

If I were in his shoes I'd silently appeal instead of trying to gather support and provide a means for people to demonstrate their hatred towards me and the site. This only hurts 1) the site's image for supporting hateful content, 2) his appeal for creating public drama.

Archived