What are good ways to run a background check on someone?

ArkanistCrook

Hello everyone. Due to the huge increase of phishers, they're too many dodgy people selling high value items and I want to start a guide/thread on how to thoroughly run a background check on someone including some of the dos and don'ts for new users.

I don't think my ways are that solid but I want to gather other users techniques and feedback on backlogging.

Please feel free to input as much information as you can as I don't plan to make it just yet.

What to post

- Personal experiences

- Tips

- Useful information on decision making (and maybe scenarios but just putting it out there)

- Ways to identify an alt of a phisher (rather than played 3 hours of TF2 and has 3 items in total worth 7 buds)

- Anything information that you may think that might be useful/relevant (don't be shy ;)

Look for an Outpost. Most traders with high BPs have outpost trades. Next, check item histories. Finally, look on steamrep for any scams.

I am from Portugal,so I use a Portuguese language in my browser. All the pishing sites are in english,so if you live outside of a english talking  country, that is a good way to check for it. 

I don´t bother finding the main of those bastards,but it´s not hard if you keep checking a item history until it is traded away

For anyone that do not know, Phishers are people who randomly adds you or randomly comments on your profile / trading websites, posting Steam links which will lead to be hacking your account. In-order to prevent it, you must not click on any links.

To spot a Phishing Link,

-Identify if the link is right. (ex. steamconnmuity.com [Wrong] | steamcommunity.com

)

-Identify if the person who sent a phishing link a guy who uses any trading websites or not. 

-Search for their SteamRep Profiles. If the person is being reported before as a phisher, then that person is definitely one.

And also, some users on Steam might send some software about Hacking Items on TF2. Those are un-reliable softwares, and it might insta-kill your computer. So, do not believe on any Hacks on TF2. There are no Item Hacks on this game.

For anyone that do not know, Phishers are people who randomly adds you or randomly comments on your profile / trading websites, posting Steam links which will lead to be hacking your account. In-order to prevent it, you must not click on any links.

To spot a Phishing Link,

-Identify if the link is right. (ex. steamconnmuity.com [Wrong] | steamcommunity.com

)

-Identify if the person who sent a phishing link a guy who uses any trading websites or not. 

-Search for their SteamRep Profiles. If the person is being reported before as a phisher, then that person is definitely one.

And also, some users on Steam might send some software about Hacking Items on TF2. Those are un-reliable softwares, and it might insta-kill your computer. So, do not believe on any Hacks on TF2. There are no Hacks on this game (Well, except of the achievement hack *cough*).

I've met way too many aimbot snipers/infinite uber/kritz people to believe that there are no hacks

I also seen this huge increase in size of phishers.I had 5 adding me in a day and 2 of them that kept adding me until I blocked them. Even AFTER I sold my unusual, so I don't really see why they keep on coming. Also it seems they make accounts with 500h on TF2 and having a few other games and a couple of "+rep" comments. 

Good example:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jake_the_dog128/ - which looks extremely convincing

Always make sure you can see an icon of secured HTTPS-connection where you're on Steam login page: PUQBdGz.png

I also seen this huge increase in size of phishers.I had 5 adding me in a day and 2 of them that kept adding me until I blocked them. Even AFTER I sold my unusual, so I don't really see why they keep on coming. Also it seems they make accounts with 500h on TF2 and having a few other games and a couple of "+rep" comments. 

Good example:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jake_the_dog128/ - which looks extremely convincing

See, if one gets phished, then bots start using his account to spam further phishing links.

So most of these accounts are real, but were hijacked.

Good example:

they've just been hijacked, and are being used

Archived