0.01USD ref is near.

Mr.demon kraken

7-8 years ago ref was 0.11-0.12USD, now it's 0.02-0.03USD and the price on mannco.store is 0.03 and on mp.tf is 0.04.

Can someone tell me what will happen? Ref price will decrease as more and more get crafted while the key stock will get smaller and smaller as people use them to unbox.

I feel like the ref key ratio is gonna be problematic since 1 key will cost like 200ref or something insane, so a bp full of ref will only be able to buy like 15k and that's it, and key bot's will be filled with ref 23/7.

Plus the cash sell price for craft hat's and others will get cheaper, so profiting with b/o will get harder and harder.

2 hours ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

valve will surely do something when it hits 0.01 cent

before laughing remember crate depression 

Not a chance imo

They understand they absolutely have a role to play to try not to screw over their in game economies, but the sort of things they solve are when people are actually losing money because of their negligence to support the system, or things where there's a potential for trading to be seen as 'untrustwothy'. 

Crate depression was something they had to fix because a coding error on their end threatened a very significant part of trading - unusuals were never meant to leave their high-value status.

Refined being worth nothing monetarily is something that they would view as the community's issue to deal with - time to shift away from refined as a currency.

oh wow, something that got farmed for many years that has no real sink is becoming worthless, who would have seen that coming

Do people use normal keys still? I though it was kinda useless as the stuff you get from old crates are not worth it. I feel like everyone nowadays use the case keys, but I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, Alecto said:

Not a chance imo

They understand they absolutely have a role to play to try not to screw over their in game economies, but the sort of things they solve are when people are actually losing money because of their negligence to support the system, or things where there's a potential for trading to be seen as 'untrustwothy'. 

Crate depression was something they had to fix because a coding error on their end threatened a very significant part of trading - unusuals were never meant to leave their high-value status.

Refined being worth nothing monetarily is something that they would view as the community's issue to deal with - time to shift away from refined as a currency.

It's not even that tbh.

Refined is a currency that drops for free, and that people can interact with for free. The more people that move towards the premium currency (that you have to pay $$$ for), the more $ valve makes. All they have to do is sit back and watch ref die.

Now introducing the new TF2Coin! Coin backed by ref, but now with TEN decimal places! You want to buy ref for $0.00000002? Now you can!

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, iron1024x1024 said:

Do people use normal keys still? I though it was kinda useless as the stuff you get from old crates are not worth it. I feel like everyone nowadays use the case keys, but I could be wrong.

Doesn't matter if people actually use keys to open stuff, what matters is the availability and if they can be traded for cash.

https://backpack.tf/category/archetype/tool

There's 2 million+ regular keys and <5k of any single case key. Considering over 10k keys move daily that's not feasible with case keys.

8 hours ago, iron1024x1024 said:

Well, atleast in my experience most people use the normal keys. I have seen people wanting other types of keys, but i am guessing that they wanted them for unboxing instead of trading.

13 hours ago, NotAliasing said:

keys will just become 120 ref instead of 60 lol

If ref is 0.01, wouldn't it be like 150-200 or something? Since 1.20 for a key is pretty low ngl.

Maybe the community will invent a new proxy-currency, some easy to come by item which they will convert to from ref, and then use that item to buy keys

e.g: craft hats... 3 ref for a craft hat, 20 craft hats for a key... idk

1 hour ago, Mr.demon kraken said:

Well, atleast in my experience most people use the normal keys. I have seen people wanting other types of keys, but i am guessing that they wanted them for unboxing instead of trading.

Yeah I mean to actually unbox! I don't think it's worth to unbox normal mannco crates this days unless I'm missing something
There's a lot of keys and we trade with them, but what is their purpose? To unbox some regular strange revolver..? misc? get a gen 3 unusual maybe? In any case the gen 1 crates would be worth to try unboxing. I much prefer case keys
Idk I was thinking of a Earbuds type of scenario, people realised they were useless and didn't want them anymore or so I believe
Because using normal keys for its intended purpose it's kinda pointless nowadays

6 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Doesn't matter if people actually use keys to open stuff, what matters is the availability and if they can be traded for cash.

https://backpack.tf/category/archetype/tool

There's 2 million+ regular keys and <5k of any single case key. Considering over 10k keys move daily that's not feasible with case keys.

Ye it makes sense! But if you really think about it deeply, normal keys are kinda obsolete to use now
Their availability makes a good currency indeed! But I'm thinking of their purpose really, this probably leads nowhere but it's interesting to think about hahah

2 hours ago, iron1024x1024 said:

Yeah I mean to actually unbox! I don't think it's worth to unbox normal mannco crates this days unless I'm missing something
There's a lot of keys and we trade with them, but what is their purpose? To unbox some regular strange revolver..? misc? get a gen 3 unusual maybe? In any case the gen 1 crates would be worth to try unboxing. I much prefer case keys
Idk I was thinking of a Earbuds type of scenario, people realised they were useless and didn't want them anymore or so I believe
Because using normal keys for its intended purpose it's kinda pointless nowadays

I didn't trade back during when earbuds were the currency, but what other good currency choices were there? I've seen people use mannco tickets rarely and even earbuds recently as currency, but stock key is the perfect enough currency imo.

ToD tickets are pretty much useless as keys since the chance of getting something valuable is pretty small, and ref can be useless since it's only use is to craft hats (which is the same as unboxing basically) and craft weapons/tokens.

So not many other choices.

3 hours ago, Prof. TrollDemo Ph.D said:

Maybe the community will invent a new proxy-currency, some easy to come by item which they will convert to from ref, and then use that item to buy keys

e.g: craft hats... 3 ref for a craft hat, 20 craft hats for a key... idk

I've seen people fail to make Tour of duty tickets a currency, but it's not that easy. But what choices do we really have for low tier traders? Since craft hats seem messy since there are a lot of different ones.

Refined metal is in theory utterly worthless. There is no need to have refined as a currency, and it could be resolved in one simple step - make any item marketable that is craftable. This way, the need for useless refined only acting as a poor substitute to cash, will fade away quicker. I can also see this being implemented, since it brings profit to Valve. On the other hand, I can see that this change might stabilize the refined and create a floor for it, since it will be easier to cash all useless craft hats through the SCM and thus making it a bit more attractive to actually craft some hats if the price of refined plummets even more. It will also be good to stabilize the whole craft hat market because a lot of hats will suffer if refined dips below $0.01, which it will eventually if nothing happens.

Cash is superior, and if every item was allowed to trade on the SCM we would have a seamless transition to cash, where SCM mainly could be the reference point and cheap items would get bought in bulk with either keys or cash, or in individual small transactions with cash. It is what I wish for, I can only imagine refined being useful in the early days of Steam trading where cash was not widely available - now cash is easily superior and everywhere, not to mention that low-tier trading is not lucrative anymore and is instead dominated by effectiveness and speed, which bots assists us with. I can even see bots transition from refined to cash as well without any problems.

Additionally, refined is really only useful for those involved with low tier trading, a group of traders that actually does not contribute anything substantial to the economy. I do not see a good reason to "save" refined for this reason alone. Bots is superior when it comes to low tier trading, you should not have to spend more than a few seconds to purchase items below $1.5. Bots can also easily adapt to the conversion to cash. Might be a bit hard to accept this as an avid low tier trader but it is really not a needed part of the economy anymore, the demand is simply not there and the usage of refined is really only needed by bots and the few low tier traders, not the actual customers who rather would use cash or keys for convenience. 

8 hours ago, Mr.demon kraken said:

If ref is 0.01, wouldn't it be like 150-200 or something? Since 1.20 for a key is pretty low ngl.

i think keys were down in the 1.3X recently when russia first invaded ukraine

30 minutes ago, NotAliasing said:

i think keys were down in the 1.3X recently when russia first invaded ukraine

Looking at mp sales it doesn't look like it.

7 hours ago, iron1024x1024 said:

crate 103 and all ks kit crates especially 84 is one of the more unboxing-worth ones still you can get trash