MvM Profit Assessment

SirMillbot

So been playing MvM for the last few years off and on, mostly enjoy the mindlessness of it and the potential for something good to drop (pan). Finished my 56th tour on Advance and had a pretty good haul of a Aussie Black Box and a Pro Minigun Fabricator Kit. So was thinking of between the investment and the output, where have i netted out over the years. Again, i don't play MvM for a profit but would be interesting to swag out an estimate of tour completion drops.

image.thumb.png.690b1dc82bc3595aabe872d5a81fc746.png

So 56 tours at $4.00/tour ($1.00/TOD ticket)= $224 investment

Prices/totals are quick estimates using todays BP.TF prices

Aussies Obtained:

Minigun - 24 keys

Tomislav -22 keys

Black Box - 16 keys

Professional Fabricators: (I use robot parts to build Kits)

Some good: Minigun, Axtinguisher, Jag, Eyelander, etc. - Est. 60 Keys

Many bad: Nessie Nine Iron, Big Kill, many others - Est. 10 Keys

Specialized Fabricators:

Some good: Rocket Launcher, Axtinguisher, Eyelander, Jag, Brass Beast, Flamethrower, etc. - Est. 10 Keys

Tons more terrible: Really any crappy wep you can think of - Est. 5 Keys

Killstreak Kits:

Just random ones: Est. 3 Keys

Robot Parts:

Tons clearly - 5-6 each mission - 20-25 each tour x 56 tours = 1200-1400 parts

Some more valuable but overall - Est. 10 Keys

Hat Drops:

Various hat drops at mostly 1.33 each - i think its seems to be mostly robot hat versions? - Est. 1 Key

So add it all up 161 Keys in value = $2.00/key per current Steam market = $320 with a $224 investment - clearly i play for the fun and not the $$. Unless i get a pan.

• SirMillbot changed the title to MvM Profit Assessment

I got 110 tours, 6 australiums ( bb 2x, medigun, wrench, fj, sticky ), prof ks sniper rifle fabricator, prof ks awper fabricator 2x, prof ks scattergun fabricator lul

Problem with not keeping track of how much you sell stuff for is aussies have different prices in previous years. For example ur minigun had a price of $110 on scm when you dropped it in 2014, or ~93 tickets/24 tours. It's even worse for killstreak kits because balance updates absolutely made or broke prices on those items.

You can actually see how in the span of 6 months, the price increases in 2021 (November 2020 -> May 2021) lead to a massive increase in the breaking even point

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2312971683

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2492606036

Comparing the spreadsheets, 2c goes from an avg $3.01 return to $3.10 and the increase in the price of a pan rose the break even point almost 5000 tours from 3778 to 8606.

At the time of writing this, I have done 1131 tours in mvm, mostly on Two Cities, and got 30 australium drops and countless professional fabricator drops. It's no surprise I arrived at a state in which random people ask me how much money I spent or if I made profit at all more frequently when I play with them and to be honest I have no idea how to answer because I haven't kept track of everything I have dropped, also considering that many tickets were gifted and that I used loot drops to get other tickets as well (if you are interested in some kind of personal loot I got, the australium drop list is in my steam profile. It's the only thing I wanted to correctly create from the start and willing to update consistently for mvm). With a "raw" way of thinking, and considering that a good portion of the mvm playerbase objectively plays for the golden pan, you can get profit from it's drop until you reach:

- 1700-1800 tours if you stick to Mecha Engine or Gear Grinder: 5000-5500$ / 3$ (1$, price of 1 ticket, x 3 missions for a complete Mecha or GG tour) = 1700-1800 circa.
- 1300-1400 tours if you only stick to Two Cities: 5000-5500$ (current price of the pan) / 4$ (2C has 4 missions) = 1300-1400 circa.

- 800-900 tours if you only stick to Steel Trap: 5000-5500$ / 6$ (ST has 6 missions) = 800-900 circa.

If you go past these tour counts (or simply if you spend more than 5000-5500 tickets in Mann Up) you would have lost the ultimate way to gain profit, even if it will never be the case since australium drops, Two Cities drops and (in the margin) rare botkiller drops exist and you will surely get them if you grind a lot (the moment you lose the ultimate way to gain profit from a possible pan drop will just be positioned on a higer tour count). Anyway, I would also suggest you to check jh34's 2 steam guides about mvm loot; they definetely deserve a look.

if you are lucky you make money. You can also get completely screwed over from the slot. 

Short term if you are not getting an aussie every 30 or so tours you are losing money. 

In 91 tours, my drops are Fan, frontier, pro ks awp, pistol, 2x objectors other 5-10$ junk, one 4 box ,nothing big.

When i dropped frontier at 67 i was somehow breaking even(i stopped doing calculations after that) . Pretty sure im losing now but im getting close to another aussie i think (pray rng jesus) so i could break even again if i get something 20+ keys

Problem with it, takes a lot of time. Unboxing i can drain 250$ in 40mins. Mvm takes 2-3 hours for 3-4$. It scratches the gambling itch i guess but its not a very effective way of doing it. 

my tours are 18 engi

70 2 cities

3 gear grinder

I'll be the first one but:

Tour 1st of 2: Asusie SMG and a crossbow fabricator flames/ hotrod which i was able to sell for 13 keys :) i was thinking of playing more tours but idk 

36 minutes ago, ShadowClanZ said:

Tour 1: SMG and a crossbow fabricator flames/ hotrod which i was able to sell for 13 keys :) i was thinking of playing more tours but idk 

Don't unless you want to play MvM with half decent players consistently

91 tours no aussie

Keep your profit

27 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

im on 12th tour and an australium yet send help

I've hard two near-100 dry streaks in around 400 total tours send help

2 hours ago, ShadowClanZ said:

I'll be the first one but:

Tour 1st of 2: Asusie SMG and a crossbow fabricator flames/ hotrod which i was able to sell for 13 keys :) i was thinking of playing more tours but idk 

If you plan to play mvm for profit, please don't.

The time spent is not factored in. Realistically, if you're not enjoying it there's not much point in playing MvM for profit as you'd be losing a lot of time that could be better spent elsewhere instead of gambling on the slim chance of breaking even. 

I don't see the drops as profit or investment, as most of the time I'll keep them, and use them for what they are, trophies. I haven't got the best drops out there, but when I have, I've found a way to use them or just keep them bc I cba trying to shift them. Mvm is a good enough sort of tour-a-week thing; you grind for a night, get your pain train fabricator, cry, and use the next week to build up the courage to try again, likely receiving another one, just a different sheen

303 tours, 20+ aussies. i lost count after a while but i'm positive it was at least that much— around tour 270 i got my last and before that I went almost 60 tours without another.

The only two aussies I never got were pan and eyelander 

Archived