Like fr, can´t we do something to help the economy?

Menalb

Since it is almost impossible that Valve will do anything relevant to TF2, I am asking, can´t we do it ourselves?

I read somewhere that we only need a reason to actually destroys REFs and KEYs, so what could the reason for us be?

I heard if you bought my Quäckenbirdt for several dozen keys it would create an imbalance in the economy which would snowball into shooting down high traders

Step 1) Buy ref

Step 2) Delete it

Should only cost ~$1/4 million at current rate $0.025/ref if it stayed flat.

there is no incentive what-so-ever to buy up a fuck ton of refined and keys and delete them. Nothing is gained.

Keys are a flat price, whether there's 1 key or 1 trillion keys, the most they can ever be worth is $2.49. Thus, there's not much to gain by keys being "rarer".

Refined is seen as useless and only really used for purchases below 1 key, and it would take more money than Tip of the Hats has ever raised in any of their charity events to even put a dent into the refined supply that noticeably impacts its price, at which point they will got up a few cents which doesn't benefit you at all if you just burned $1000 of refined to make that price go up.

With the sheer amount of refined, there is nothing at all Valve can implement short of allowing case hats to be crafted that could make refined more valuable, and that will 100% never happen due to how they'd have to basically re-code the crafting system to account for the stupid artificial rarity crap they stole from CSGO.

Ref went down by a little more than 15%, big deal. The economy isnt in a bad spot, but the game development definitely is. I wouldn't hold your breath on anything being done about it, though.

49 minutes ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Step 1) Buy ref

Step 2) Delete it

Should only cost ~$1/4 million at current rate $0.025/ref if it stayed flat.

"delete 250,000.00$ to fix the TF2 economy"

😂 I love you JH

While the abundance of ref is part of the issue, the issue is far more complex than that, and simply deleting keys and refined would not solve the issue.

6 hours ago, Menalb said:

I read somewhere that we only need a reason to actually destroys REFs and KEYs, so what could the reason for us be?

Keys and refined are in infinite quantity. Deleting them, even in vast quantities, would do nothing but waste time.

I like that OP didn't even state the problem. I assume he thinks pages of ref for a key = bad economy which isn't true at all. IMO the economy is thriving.

We can try to do craft system, like 3 ref for a monthly random hat that can be only obtained through crafting and after that month they arent no longer obtainable

54 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

We can try to do craft system, like 3 ref for a monthly random hat that can be only obtained through crafting and after that month they arent no longer obtainable

bold of you to assume that the plant in the tf2 valve office would implement that although that is a pretty good idea to stabilize the key to ref conversion

Sadly, I do not think the ref issue can be fixed without major manipulation by third-parties (i.e. trading sites, whales,....) or interference by Valve.

There used to be a ref drain, which was the crafting system, sadly this system takes up 2 ref to get a 1.33 ref hat, in rare cases, you can get a hat worth above 2+ ref.

But this system is either unknown to most traders nowadays and/or not worth the time put into it for the rewards which put you into the red.

I believe the community can do little to nothing about this.

As well, seeing the infrequent and sporadic work for TF2 being done, you must wonder what the valve employee is doing in the mean-time.

Just a bit of speculation, but I am very sure that the Valve employee still working on TF2 is making a major update when not updating the game with minor updates.

Why this matters? When a major update gets released, more keys will get into circulation since people want the new hats and/or unusuals, they want to buy the pass,....

This will drive down the amount of ref for keys and raise the individual price of refined, resulting in keys goes down temporarily.

The best thing we can hope for is if Valve does indeed implement a better crafting system or implement another sort of ref drain OR a new form of currency is introduced by traders to counter the large amount of ref needed for a key (a good example is ToDs which are sometimes used like this)

Ever since the beginning of this game people been saying the economy is dying. Yet every time I check items are selling for higher than ever before (db antlers). Items are selling for larger and larger amounts of cash. and Valve is still putting cool updates on christmas, halloween, or summer. also the playerbase has always been increasing. (130k online in 2020 scream fortress) https://www.dailyesports.gg/team-fortress-2-reaches-peak-player-count-during-scream-fortress-iiv/

when buds crashed 7 years ago people said economy would die (if any of us could go back and buy some of the halloween effects back then we would make massive profits today. back then if you told someone a hat could sell for 9600 keys people would laugh at you)

when the authenticator got added people said economy would die (yet now golden pans are selling for 3200 keys and this hasn't slowed down the economy at all. even trading bots still exist and work better than ever)

so when one of these threads gets made every few months screaming wolf. be careful who you believe :^) the proof is in the decade plus economy that has only ever gotten stronger

Alternatively, Valve could give us unlimited inventory space, then implement Julia's script into the actual trading window (for those that don't have it), thus making large quantities of ref less of a problem 

Just an casual thought , if valve makes it so crafting kits from fabricators costs a small amount of metal will that be an good enough metal sink ? What do you think

1 hour ago, Breacher said:

Just an casual thought , if valve makes it so crafting kits from fabricators costs a small amount of metal will that be an good enough metal sink ? What do you think

unlikely to be enough, but not a terrible place to start

one of the cooler ideas i've heard to reduce the ref is valve making something like "paint re-aplicator". Basically, for a price of, let's say 10 ref you could change the seed of your skin/warpaint. Neat thing for making your BS/WW skin less ugly but it could possibly kill rare macaw masked skins and blood scopes market.

6 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Too farfetched, but mannco. store hosts a free low-tier unusual giveaway once a week.

Maybe they would be willing to give away a mystery mid/ mid-high tier unusual once a month, and your odds of winning increase very slightly for every hat you've crafted that month. 

Unlikely, and probably won't change the economy for the better, but it's an insentive nonetheless. 

Archived