Feedback on my Guide? (painted cosmetic pricing for newer traders)

[RCR] The Red Cross

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback for my guide.

I made this because I deal a lot in painted cosmetics and lots of new traders add me for advice. I try and help where I can but it's getting a bit much trying to respond to people and explain why things are they way they are. I hope I can use this guide to send to newer traders so they can learn about pricing painted items and avoid being scammed. 

Any advice is welcome, but please keep in mind this is aimed at newer traders. I know there are more sophisticated ways to explain this and that this information will seem common knowledge for anyone who has traded before.

Happy to post under a different forum if this isn't suitable!

Thanks

Guide link

Possibly could include very briefly about paint spells, could include in the lower tier painted items about smaller paint regions and items not worth painting etc

For how a painted item is priced, i think a better explanation would be supply and demand:

historically it used to be hat+1/2 paints value 6-10 years ago but now the market has changed due to bots dominating and undercutting other sellers.Currently there is a high supply of eg lime painted hat but a low demand of buyers. Thus buyers lower their price to abysmal levels and some sellers comply and sell eg buy lime sweet hood for 9 ref. This leads the Buyer of the painted hat to resell and go as low as 15 ref for a lime painted sweet freakin hood. 

And how to price section or some where else you could also add niche markets:

eg Bedouin Bandana currently has lots of unpainted sellers but little painted black or white sellers so you could add 1 key or more to the base price of the hat when selling. 

Another one is hood of sorrows painted black: not many sellers of black so you can add 1 key or more get the most out of the paint.

47 minutes ago, RockSolidWood said:

Possibly could include very briefly about paint spells, could include in the lower tier painted items about smaller paint regions and items not worth painting etc

Thank you

35 minutes ago, ShadowClanZ said:

For how a painted item is priced, i think a better explanation would be supply and demand:

historically it used to be hat+1/2 paints value 6-10 years ago but now the market has changed due to bots dominating and undercutting other sellers.Currently there is a high supply of eg lime painted hat but a low demand of buyers. Thus buyers lower their price to abysmal levels and some sellers comply and sell eg buy lime sweet hood for 9 ref. This leads the Buyer of the painted hat to resell and go as low as 15 ref for a lime painted sweet freakin hood. 

And how to price section or some where else you could also add niche markets:

eg Bedouin Bandana currently has lots of unpainted sellers but little painted black or white sellers so you could add 1 key or more to the base price of the hat when selling. 

Another one is hood of sorrows painted black: not many sellers of black so you can add 1 key or more get the most out of the paint.

Good points here. Thank you.

I have tried to avoid too many specific examples because it makes updating more necessary and I don't want to follow this guide until major changes come to the market as a whole.

1 hour ago, RockSolidWood said:

I have added a small portion about paint spells. 

Could you elaborate on what you mean in your second point about smaller paint regions? 

I touch briefly on items not worth painting but I will add more examples.

1 minute ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

I have added a small portion about paint spells. 

Could you elaborate on what you mean in your second point about smaller paint regions? 

I touch briefly on items not worth painting but I will add more examples.

I tie this into to spells, because items like the dogfighter, which only has the armband painted. Could be greatly improved if devs wanted to, but they don't really care. The fancy dress uniform, the diplomat etc... They all have very small limited, and hard to see paint regions. These items painted often have a low demand, low regard and frankly don't severely alter the look of the cosmetic. Those who get into spell/paint trading often get wrapped upp in these because of the fact that they have a desirable color, but on a poor cosmetic. I guess I'm knowledgeable enough on the topic, I'd actually love to help out on the thread

image.png.811e8d6f1ef9fac7c14b6acf268e738d.png

2 minutes ago, RockSolidWood said:

I tie this into to spells, because items like the dogfighter, which only has the armband painted. Could be greatly improved if devs wanted to, but they don't really care. The fancy dress uniform, the diplomat etc... They all have very small limited, and hard to see paint regions. These items painted often have a low demand, low regard and frankly don't severely alter the look of the cosmetic. Those who get into spell/paint trading often get wrapped upp in these because of the fact that they have a desirable color, but on a poor cosmetic. I guess I'm knowledgeable enough on the topic, I'd actually love to help out on the thread

image.png.811e8d6f1ef9fac7c14b6acf268e738d.png

Ah, I thought that's what you meant. I mentioned this in the "How Do I Price my Items Section" but I will add a new section that explains better. 

Always happy to put you knowledge in, I'll put in a credit section down the bottom :)

5 minutes ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

Ah, I thought that's what you meant. I mentioned this in the "How Do I Price my Items Section" but I will add a new section that explains better. 

Always happy to put you knowledge in, I'll put in a credit section down the bottom :)

Buy the way, I think the beard insert is quite accurate, after all, the  facial hair miscs can cover huge amounts of space, therefore can be covered in huge amounts in paint regions. Thats why the cuban bristle crisis, all father, and other (class exclusive) beards. As a general note I've found that the lowtiers are very unpopular unless tied with a specific item, but the high tiers are considered good synergy with just about anything due to the fact that they're eye catching, and considered a flex in the lower tier trading market.

Imagine putting lime in the big four, lime is a shitty paint, literally unsellable, also mann mint is a mid tier paint not decent.

put those 2 in mid tier, and it's fine.

(traded 2 years straight with painted stuff)

9 minutes ago, hollowka said:

Imagine putting lime in the big four, lime is a shitty paint, literally unsellable, also mann mint is a mid tier paint not decent.

put those 2 in mid tier, and it's fine.

(traded 2 years straight with painted stuff)

I also trade paints. Lime has the same price as black/pink/white is almost all classifieds I see. 

Mint does fetch the same price as mid-tier but isn't purchased nearly as often.

2 minutes ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

I also trade paints. Lime has the same price as black/pink/white is almost all classifieds I see. 

You completely wrong, just because it has the same price because it costs you 2 keys to get a can of lime paint, doesn't makes it valuable. It takes weeks to sell lime painted stuff, unlikely mint which is cheaper, more affordable, and it looks cool, also sells way more often then lime stuff.

1 minute ago, hollowka said:

You completely wrong, just because it has the same price because it costs you 2 keys to get a can of lime paint, doesn't makes it valuable. It takes weeks to sell lime painted stuff, unlikely mint which is cheaper, more affordable, and it looks cool, also sells way more often then lime stuff.

Nice opinion bro

11 hours ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

Lime stuff sells OK for scout cosmetics tho, right?

4 minutes ago, Flamadin said:

Lime stuff sells OK for scout cosmetics tho, right?

Very popular on scout cosmetics.

At the end of the day, there are differences between paint popularities depending on class and cosmetic. Lime is sometimes lower, but sellers like DRM and Fanatism sometimes have Lime buy orders for higher than black and pink.

On the whole, Lime belongs in the Big Four, even if its sometimes considered fourth place.

Archived