Ineffective Ban (or am I missing something)

[RCR] The Red Cross

So I stumbled across this user who was banned for using an alternate account to evade a ban on his main. The ban lists this account as the alt used.

My question;

Why isn't the alt also banned/affected? Is it just because it's a bot? Can't you unbot a bot account and convert it back to a normal user account?

Its alleged to be the same user but for some reason it seems once you transfer your items, to another account, only the original account will show that there was ever a ban.

Again, I might be missing something obvious but it seems as though this user is getting away with evasion. 

1 hour ago, awsommv said:

Its a gladiator bot, new owner now so not banned anymore. Ban desc on main could be changed to be less confusing tho

that is shady af

you're not allowed to buy or sell accounts per steam's ToS

not to mention the (very large) potential that the account could be recovered by a 3rd party at any point

40 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

that is shady af

not to mention the (very large) potential that the account could be recovered by a 3rd party at any point

Pretty sure you aren't given control of the account... just some control options for a script.

2 hours ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

So I stumbled across this user who was banned for using an alternate account to evade a ban on his main. The ban lists this account as the alt used.

My question;

Why isn't the alt also banned/affected? Is it just because it's a bot? Can't you unbot a bot account and convert it back to a normal user account?

Its alleged to be the same user but for some reason it seems once you transfer your items, to another account, only the original account will show that there was ever a ban.

Again, I might be missing something obvious but it seems as though this user is getting away with evasion. 

The user was banned after an internal investigation by me and Gladiator.tf Staff, which was also reported to Backpack.tf

The user was banned and the Bot was banned, after appealing this with backpack.tf, the bot was unbanned and given to a new owner.

Why the alt isn't banned?

This is due to Gladiator being a service, we can not be held accountable for the actions that our bot owners commit, otherwise Microsoft would've been banned already as well if we go by this logic, since Windows is used by criminals too.

I have to admit that the ban reason is weird, I will look into this with Backpack.tf, thank you for reporting this!

As well, when you look at the new account, you can see the Disclaimer and when you click on the link to go to the current owner, you can see it is not the banned user anymore.

1 hour ago, LaughingLollipop said:

that is shady af

There is nothing shady about this, we only sell our Service to our users, per ToS that is allowed.

We only sell our Service, and the owner of the subscription has no direct access the account, Gladiator.tf is still the owner of the Account and reserves the right to end a subscription of any person at any time, thus removing them from the Service.

Thank you all for the questions, and hopefully this helped you understand it, I'm more than happy to hear more questions which I'll happily answer.

Kind regards.

7 hours ago, LaughingLollipop said:

But what about borrowing/renting? Thats what it rather is, idk lol

To directly quote https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement

C. Your Account

When you complete Steam’s registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to Valve for the purchase of Subscriptions, Content and Services and any physical goods offered for purchase through Steam (“Hardware”). You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account except as otherwise specifically authorized by Valve. You are responsible for the confidentiality of your login and password and for the security of your computer system. Valve is not responsible for the use of your password and Account or for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password by you, or by any person to whom you may have intentionally or by negligence disclosed your login and/or password in violation of this confidentiality provision. Unless it results from Valve’s negligence or fault, Valve is not responsible for the use of your Account by a person who fraudulently used your login and password without your permission. If you believe that the confidentiality of your login and/or password may have been compromised, you must notify Valve via the support form (https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php) without any delay.

Your Account, including any information pertaining to it (e.g.: contact information, billing information, Account history and Subscriptions, etc.), is strictly personal. You may therefore not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account, nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any Subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use) or as otherwise specifically permitted by Valve.

So based on the remarks in this thread, the existence of gladiator.tf is a TOS violation.

Cool, can't wait for the drama once all their bots get the banhammer

2 hours ago, LaughingLollipop said:

To directly quote https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement

C. Your Account

When you complete Steam’s registration process, you create a Steam account ("Account"). Your Account may also include billing information you provide to Valve for the purchase of Subscriptions, Content and Services and any physical goods offered for purchase through Steam (“Hardware”). You may not reveal, share or otherwise allow others to use your password or Account except as otherwise specifically authorized by Valve. You are responsible for the confidentiality of your login and password and for the security of your computer system. Valve is not responsible for the use of your password and Account or for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your login name and password by you, or by any person to whom you may have intentionally or by negligence disclosed your login and/or password in violation of this confidentiality provision. Unless it results from Valve’s negligence or fault, Valve is not responsible for the use of your Account by a person who fraudulently used your login and password without your permission. If you believe that the confidentiality of your login and/or password may have been compromised, you must notify Valve via the support form (https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php) without any delay.

Your Account, including any information pertaining to it (e.g.: contact information, billing information, Account history and Subscriptions, etc.), is strictly personal. You may therefore not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account, nor may you sell, charge others for the right to use, or transfer any Subscriptions other than if and as expressly permitted by this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use) or as otherwise specifically permitted by Valve.

So based on the remarks in this thread, the existence of gladiator.tf is a TOS violation.

Cool, can't wait for the drama once all their bots get the banhammer

They do not have the right to use the Steam Account on Gladiator, Gladiator.tf reserves all rights of the bots for itself.

They do have the right to use the Gladiator.tf service, which they are being charged for, they are not being charged for the Steam account.

I reccomend you to look into the operations of Bot.tf and thinking about this logically after reading what I replied.

Kind regards.

54 minutes ago, Cave said:

They do not have the right to use the Steam Account on Gladiator, Gladiator.tf reserves all rights of the bots for itself.

They do have the right to use the Gladiator.tf service, which they are being charged for, they are not being charged for the Steam account.

I reccomend you to look into the operations of Bot.tf and thinking about this logically after reading what I replied.

Kind regards.

Oh I've thought quite a bit

You claim to own the account, and yet the owner links on the accounts themselves do not list you as the owner.

You claim that you are not selling use of the account, but you give others complete control over the account's trading actions in exchange for payment.

Your terms seem to indicate that the user is completely liable for the actions of an account they do not own.

From a logical perspective, none of this makes any sense.

Yeah botf got away with it for a while and then closed up shop, this doesn't mean Valve will turn a blind eye forever.

Plenty of other sites have had blanket bans applied to their bots.

This wasn’t the point of the thread so, to avoid spamming notifications to people, if you wish please continue this in dms or a new thread

• Zeus_Junior locked this topic

Archived