Remember when Marketplace actually sold items for less then the steam community market?

hooters

that SCM price shown is the average sale price, not the listing price.

Average sale price is usually lowered by people dumping to SCM buy orders.

Most low-volume items are price hiked on Marketplace because the whitelist means that whitelisted users can set whatever prices they want and random joes can't swoop in and undercut them. Sellers on MP have always also gotten very, very pissy if you undercut them in general. I remember getting DM's over people being very mad that I listed something for a few cents lower than them rather than the same price they listed for back before the whitelist came to be.

I dunno why you'd ever buy anything but keys off marketplace anyways, unless what you want there is something super limited or it's the only strange pro KS with the sheen+effect you want, you're way better off just buying keys and buying from the classifieds / etc.

It's almost like marketplace isn't a free market which would promote competition and thus better prices for the consumer.

And the point of average sale price being lower than a listed price is kinda moot on high volume items of which almost all operate on a rolling price fluctuation due to variable demand throughout the day (ie lower when US is asleep). If I placed a buy order on almost all of those items for the shown scm price I would have it filled within hours, if not minutes for the real high volume items like ToD and keys. The point is relevant for low volume items of which some haven't had sales in months which makes their displayed value insanely outdated *cough cough collectors pro ks handshake cough cough .max(proksscmavg, baseitembackpackprice) when cough cough damn I'm so sick cough cough*

34 minutes ago, Slam said:

Most low-volume items are price hiked on Marketplace because the whitelist means that whitelisted users can set whatever prices they want and random joes can't swoop in and undercut them. Sellers on MP have always also gotten very, very pissy if you undercut them in general. I remember getting DM's over people being very mad that I listed something for a few cents lower than them rather than the same price they listed for back before the whitelist came to be.

I dunno why you'd ever buy anything but keys off marketplace anyways, unless what you want there is something super limited or it's the only strange pro KS with the sheen+effect you want, you're way better off just buying keys and buying from the classifieds / etc.

It really sucks that Marketplace.tf cut their seller's program, but I guess we can't dwell on that...

But yeah, ever since they did so, the amount of items for sale on MP is lower, because there are less sellers. Less sellers mean less competition.

Most of the time, I'd go with Slam's advice: unless you're looking for something specific, like a spec/pro ks kit/item with a particular effect or sheen (which can be hard to find), I'd just use MP.tf to buy keys. It's still the best place to get keys, which you can then use to trade with other players for lower prices. That's what I do :)

To continue the analysis... I'm going to pull current SCM price for each item

Lucky Cat

MP $8.99

SCM current $9.12

Gun Mettle Case

Mp $8

SCM Current $4.69

Spec Strange Pan

MP $83.99

SCM Current $90.71

Strange Carbine

MP $.25

SCM Current $.16

Quarantine Case

MP $6.99

SCM Current $6.27

Spies Killed

MP $5.79

SCM Current $3.01

Strange Mutated Milk

MP $21.45

SCM Current $20.98

Second Head Headwear

MP $1.49

SCM Current $.12

Festive Crossbow

MP $4.37

SCM Current $2.37

Strange Mad Milk

MP $3.4

SCM Current $2.6

Strange Crossing Guard

MP $7.49

SCM Current $6.9

Decal Tool

MP $.11

SCM Current $.1

Genuine Horace

MP $8.99

SCM Current $9.17

Eternaween

MP $.25

SCM Current $.18

Festive Bonesaw

MP $.15

SCM Current $.17

Beanie All Gnaw

MP $.35

SCM Current $.13

Desc Tag

MP $.12

SCM Current $.14

Robot Currency Digester

MP $.12

SCM Current $.09

Robot Taunt Processor

MP $.06

SCM Current $.06

Strange FAN

MP $1.44

SCM Current $1.16

If we are to ignore the average for SCM

MP Cheaper : 5

SCM Cheaper : 14

Tie : 1

If you want the 'best price' its smart to use an SCM buy order.

There are some things that break trends, but from that sample it is cheaper to buy on SCM in general.

Some of these items might have better prices for item trades (ref/key), I didn't check that.

If you want the best price, it is unwise to buy from a single source without checking around.

barring everything mentioned in this thread so far, the week-long trade lock on purchases from scm is nasty. if you want your items instantly tradable, mp is a fine source

8 hours ago, MailDaemon said:

I'd just use MP.tf to buy keys. It's still the best place to get keys

This technically is not even true, there is a large selection of other sites to go to that also sell keys.

Mannco - 1.69$ (before 5% fee)

csdeals - 1.7~$

Vender - 1.66$ - Crypto

tf2crypto - 1.65$ - Crypto

4 cheapers sites as an example, this is not even bringing up buying cs stuff on bitskins/floatdb/baron/skinport etc and selling those for keys as with this method you can get keys for as low as 1.5$ each if you put in the effort

15 hours ago, Vincentius said:

This technically is not even true, there is a large selection of other sites to go to that also sell keys.

csdeals - 1.7~$

Vender - 1.66$ - Crypto

4 cheapers sites as an example, this is not even bringing up buying cs stuff on bitskins/floatdb/baron/skinport etc and selling those for keys as with this method you can get keys for as low as 1.5$ each if you put in the effort

Uncle promo code lets you get 11 keys for ~$1.70 every 24h

19 hours ago, Vincentius said:

csdeals - 1.7~$

Vender - 1.66$ - Crypto

While that's good to know, I have no interest in cryptocurrency investment, and I'm also a little skeptical of primarily CS:GO trading/commerce sites, given the reputation the CS:GO 'trading' scene has. It's good that there are other options out there, but I think I'll stick with mp.tf, if only for my peace of mind.

I'm not really a 'trader', I just buy/trade for stuff I like :)

(also as FP jh34ghu43gu said, you can get a free additional key, which works out to be a little less per key. Thanks for doing the math for me ;) )

If you get any use out of those sites, that's great! Don't let me discourage you, I'm sure you can buy keys for cheaper if you wanted to. Thanks for the info, I hope it helps someone

27 minutes ago, MailDaemon said:

While that's good to know, I have no interest in cryptocurrency investment, and I'm also a little skeptical of primarily CS:GO trading/commerce sites, given the reputation the CS:GO 'trading' scene has. It's good that there are other options out there, but I think I'll stick with mp.tf, if only for my peace of mind.

I'm not really a 'trader', I just buy/trade for stuff I like :)

(also as FP jh34ghu43gu said, you can get a free additional key, which works out to be a little less per key. Thanks for doing the math for me ;) )

If you get any use out of those sites, that's great! Don't let me discourage you, I'm sure you can buy keys for cheaper if you wanted to. Thanks for the info, I hope it helps someone

5 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Uncle promo code lets you get 11 keys for ~$1.70 every 24h

That is true but buying 11 keys ever 24 hours is not economically worth your time, would you really spend 46 days to buy 500 keys to save that money that you could have gotten within an hour on any other site for the same cost?

The only reason mp is still even around is due to people not willing to go outside their comfort zone and actually spending 5 seconds shopping around for a better price (which you can find almost anywhere basically). 

And to quote what I said 

20 hours ago, Vincentius said:

4 cheapers sites as an example

This is just an example of 4 sites so to not flood and advertise tens of them.

15 hours ago, Vincentius said:

That is true but buying 11 keys ever 24 hours is not economically worth your time, would you really spend 46 days to buy 500 keys to save that money that you could have gotten within an hour on any other site for the same cost?

The only reason mp is still even around is due to people not willing to go outside their comfort zone and actually spending 5 seconds shopping around for a better price (which you can find almost anywhere basically). 

And to quote what I said 

This is just an example of 4 sites so to not flood and advertise tens of them.

You make a good point, but personally I'm never going to need that many keys at a time for it to matter. Buying a limit of 11 every 24 hours is fine for me, since I'm not trading that much that quickly

I'm sure actual traders could get some use out of your suggestions, though :)

• 2 weeks later...

You need to add money to your steam account before you buy from the steam marketplace. If you only want to buy things from steam that's alright but if you want/ need to buy things from stuff other than steam, the limit being 50 cents rather than 4 dollars as a minimum is fine

Archived