How to instantly make 250 keys profit (Baller Version)

LaughingLollipop

So basically you bought at 1.20 because someone input their sell order wrong then you dropped it for like a 4166.666~% profit? 

2 hours ago, RockSolidWood said:

So basically you bought at 1.20 because someone input their sell order wrong then you dropped it for like a 4166.666~% profit? 

Basically, I made a standing offer to buy the hat for quite a bit of money.

After this point, another individual

1) Clicked the item in their inventory

2) Typed in a number

3) Clicked a checkbox to confirm that they agreed to Steam's terms

4) Clicked OK to confirm

5) Opened their phone authenticator which displays the item and the price

6) Either selected the checkbox or clicked open this single listing

7) Clicked confirm to list the item for sale

If you get through the 7 steps, you don't get pity from me

Turns out the number they typed in step 2) was lower than my offer, so I got the item

53 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

Basically, I made a standing offer to buy the hat for quite a bit of money.

After this point, another individual

1) Clicked the item in their inventory

2) Typed in a number

3) Clicked a checkbox to confirm that they agreed to Steam's terms

4) Clicked OK to confirm

5) Opened their phone authenticator which displays the item and the price

6) Either selected the checkbox or clicked open this single listing

7) Clicked confirm to list the item for sale

Turns out the number they typed in step 2) was lower than my offer, so I got the item

I guess its a little late to return the item lol... Some kid isn't going to be very happy to know they've done that though lmao.... But in the end, I understand its realistically not your fault but I would call it slightly unfair to just sell it on at a huge profit margin, within the hype of the fact that its a quickswitch misc. 

55 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

One day you'll make a mistake, and on that day, I hope you'll remember your current attitude.

13 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

One day you'll make a mistake, and on that day, I hope you'll remember your current attitude.

As an avid maker of mistakes my strategy is pretty simple, when a mistake is made pursue methods to lower the risk of making said mistake again.

The first part of this process is acknowledging that you and you alone have made the mistake, and taking actions to change your behaviors/decisions.

While there may have been substantial influence or input from others in this process, to blame others is only to lie to yourself.

To expect pity or refunds is naivety.

image.png.cd51127a13d7e290100c7e25b5fd0058.png

12 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

As an avid maker of mistakes my strategy is pretty simple, when a mistake is made pursue methods to lower the risk of making said mistake again.

The first part of this process is acknowledging that you and you alone have made the mistake, and taking actions to change your behaviors/decisions.

While there may have been substantial influence or input from others in this process, to blame others is only to lie to yourself.

To expect pity or refunds is naivety.

No, that's fair.  Anyone expecting a refund probably should be denied--I myself have been in the situation where someone accidentally sold an item to my buy order for less than intended, and then added me expecting/demanding a refund.  One guy went so far as to call me a scammer and leaving a -rep on my steam profile (as if that would do anything).  Those people were denied.

That said, I would rather live in a world where, when someone makes a mistake, it isn't just taken advantage of.  If you lose your wallet and someone returns it, you can still learn a lesson about being more careful, for example. 

I've had people accidentally sell items at very low prices to my buy orders and then add me and explain what happened and ask if we can work something out.  In those cases, I've told them that if they'll give me something of equivalent value to what I paid for the item, I'll give them the item back.  I wouldn't take ownership of their mistakes and lose money because of them, but I feel it's a better solution to accept a key in return for giving back a $18 item that they accidentally sold me for $1.80. 

I don't lose anything, they are spared the negative feelings that come from making a mistake, and they (potentially) learn to be more careful in the future.

Also, back when things were a lot less automated and adding people to trade was basically the way you did things, one guy accidentally overpaid and then added me to see if I would return the extra he paid.  I did, and he was incredibly happy and turned into a very lucrative trading partner who insisted on looking through my items first any time he wanted anything, and paid any price I asked without question, even when I flat out told him he could get better prices elsewhere.  By not being worried about making money or being completely fair, and instead by doing what I felt was right and honest, I ended up making a lot more than I would have by just keeping the extra he overpaid in the first place.

You do you, though.  I'm not saying you're wrong.

10 hours ago, 3.50 said:

how are you gonna make seven mistakes in a row 

12 hours ago, 3.50 said:

I do not get this and the support it got, it is 7 steps, so it is the guys own fault. How you'd fuck up that is beyond my imagination, although i hear a lot of tf2 players do cannabis 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

I do not get this and the support it got, it is 7 steps, so it is the guys own fault. How you'd fuck up that is beyond my imagination, although i hear a lot of tf2 players do cannabis 🤷‍♂️

I've done it before when either rushing or selling bulk stuff. But on something like this I would absolutely be triple checking the price before I submit each step.

I feel bad for the seller but ultimately it was their fault, OP wasn't obligated to do anything with it once he bought it.

That being said, it would be nice if SCM had a warning in place if you try to sell something significantly under buy orders/past sales. Not that it would have helped the seller much in this case.

• 5 months later...

Archived