The Real Australium Drop Rate 0.47%

FireStarter101

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that means...

1 / 0.0061 (Golden Pan Drop Rate) = about 164 tours to get a golden pan, or

164 * 3.22 (Current ticket price) * 4 (Tours necessary) = 2184.44 refined

2184.44 / 7.11 (Current key price) / 20 (Current bud price) = 15 buds and 8 keys on average to obtain a golden pan.

Which means that 103 (Current golden pan price) / 15.4 (Cost to obtain) = 6.69

With enough time and effort, you should 669% profit by obtaining a golden pans and selling them off

Where does the number of tours come from?

http://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Operation%20Two%20Cities%20Badge/Non-Tradable/Craftable

if you take a look at what lvl the badge is you can tell how many tours were done  lvl 1 badge does not count b/c they have not finished a full tour. lvl 2 right now has 21833. so 21833 players did one tour. lvl 3 9440 so  9440 players did 2 tours that would be 18,880 tours and so on.....

So that means...

1 / 0.0061 (Golden Pan Drop Rate) = about 164 tours to get a golden pan, or

164 * 3.22 (Current ticket price) * 4 (Tours necessary) = 2184.44 refined

2184.44 / 7.11 (Current key price) / 20 (Current bud price) = 15 buds and 8 keys on average to obtain a golden pan.

Which means that 103 (Current golden pan price) / 15.4 (Cost to obtain) = 6.69

With enough time and effort, you should 669% profit by obtaining a golden pans and selling them off

your math is wrong. you have a 1:16,393 chance to get a gold pan 1/0.000061=16,393 tours   that would be 1535 buds to get that many tours

http://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Operation%20Two%20Cities%20Badge/Non-Tradable/Craftable

if you take a look at what lvl the badge is you can tell how many tours were done  lvl 1 badge does not count b/c they have not finished a full tour. lvl 2 right now has 21833. so 21833 players did one tour. lvl 3 9440 so  9440 players did 2 tours that would be 18,880 tours and so on.....

Wow. In that case, this is a really nice stats compilation. I wouldn't have guessed the drop rate to be so low.

Thank you HusKy. i might do a basic drop rate for the botkillers just to compare. the one thing that i have seen that makes it look like there are alot out there is that almost 80%-90% of them are up for trade or sell. i counted a few days back and there was 79 Rocket Launchers out and 62 were on outpost for trade 

Do these numbers take into account private backpacks? I know of a few people with private backpacks and enough australium weapons that could skew the numbers, given how small the number of australium weapons is.

Edit: I'm guessing not. Why do people keep forgetting that so much item wealth rests in the hands of people that don't want unsolicited offers of 2 rec for their unusuals and festive strange scatterguns?

Yes I can not count the ones in private backpacks. I also can't count their tour numbers. For all we know there are 1500 more australiums in private backpacks. There could also be 250,000 more tour completions in private backpacks too. There are also people that have deleted their badge to reset their tour count to zero. That would raise the tour numbers completed even higher and make the drop rate even lower. I counted everything that is public and with 5.8 million public profiles I think I have a very good estimate.

And there is the major flaw. So everyone got a free ticket @Christmas and many people played 1 mission with that ticket but didn't play another one so they didn't complete the tour. Iirc you get that item for only playing 1 mission.

And there is the major flaw. So everyone got a free ticket @Christmas and many people played 1 mission with that ticket but didn't play another one so they didn't complete the tour. Iirc you get that item for only playing 1 mission.

Woifi i know this and i did not count them. you get the badge for doing 1 map. the badge will be lvl 1. so i did not count the lvl 1 badge. like right now there are 37,590 lvl 1 badges. they did not complete a tour so i did not count them in the data.

HusKy that would be great. I was thinking of updating it my self from time to time. If he could make it live that would be much better.

HusKy that would be great. I was thinking of updating it my self from time to time. If he could make it live that would be much better.

Brad Time.

You'll be here awhile.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That is definitely, absolutely, 100% too low.  Highest dry streak I have ever heard of is 176, which implies an average of 1 australium every ~90 if the rules of standard deviation are to be followed. (1.11% chance)  To say that there is an AVERAGE of 1 australium per 250 tours is absurd.

Couple reasons I can think of right off the bat for this low percentage

-Did you check for Pro and Spec KS variants of the weapons on steam market?  Particularly noticeable for the more valued weapons (Wrench, Eyelander, etc.), I think it would make sense that more of these would be on market

-Private backpacks, particularly with Steam's new system of privating everyone's backpack who has not changed settings to say otherwise. Yes I know you've mentioned this previously.

It seems a bit low.  While I've met people with 100+ tours and no gold drops, it's not actually that common.   Just drawing from personal experience, it seems that the majority of players get roughly one aussie drop for every 50 tours or so.   

Fun fact: a lot of people delete their badge every once in a while, thus reducing the total number of tours completed => real % is even lower.

simpler:
1. Complete 500 tours, get, say, 2 aussies.

2. Delete your badge.

3. You have 0 tours and 2 aussies.

Fun fact: a lot of people delete their badge every once in a while, thus reducing the total number of tours completed => real % is even lower.

simpler:

1. Complete 500 tours, get, say, 2 aussies.

2. Delete your badge.

3. You have 0 tours and 2 aussies.

The Aussie levels work the same as botkillers. The level of the Aussie is the tour it was awarded.

The Aussie levels work the same as botkillers. The level of the Aussie is the tour it was awarded.

^ This.   

I'm pretty sure I saw a spreadsheet several months ago that mapped out aussies distribution per level.  True, low levels are much more common, which initially gives the impression that it's much more likely to get aussies at lower levels of tour completion.  But the analysis is flawed.  The number of grinders (I'm going to define that as anybody with more than 20 tours) is significantly less as compared to players who just tried out MvM for a few tours and then never bothered with it again.  Basically:  If there are 10,000 players who played 5 tours or less, and only 100 players who played 100 tours or less, obviously the number of aussie levels =< 5 is going to be much higher than aussie levels =< 100.  This is assuming that the drop rate is in fact equal regardless of tour number, which it appears to be.  

Archived