A question about skin wears

Gingersnaps

Hello there! I had a general question about skin wears and their pricing. As with most of my observing with trades around here is that Fac New is king, save the dragon slayer war paint. Many of these are understandable, as the damage is very ugly, and makes the paint harder to see. Yet, some like Coffin Nail, or Local hero (Theres probably more, I just can't think of any others at the moment.) have unique wear patterns where the damage is unique, and doesn't just show the base weapon underneath, and some look really good with a little damage in my opinion. I was curious, are there any skins or warpaints that are considered better or more valuable when damaged? Or is Factory New king throughout?

Factory New is king on every skin - it's just some aren't a disaster if they're not.

Kill Covered and Boneyard are the other two off the top of my head which people can prefer the scuffed variants, there are some others where specific patterns where pattern makes the paint/weapon more valuable than a factory new (most notably Macaw Masked with white in it) but typically the rule is people want factory new and nothing else is good enough for them.

13 minutes ago, Alecto said:

Factory New is king on every skin - it's just some aren't a disaster if they're not.

Kill Covered and Boneyard are the other two off the top of my head which people can prefer the scuffed variants, there are some others where specific patterns where pattern makes the paint/weapon more valuable than a factory new (most notably Macaw Masked with white in it) but typically the rule is people want factory new and nothing else is good enough for them.

I'm sad that I forgot boneyard, that used to be one of my favorites. And it's kinda a shame some of these neat wear patterns are just, nigh worthless. But it's also understandable. However the macaw masked is nuts in my mind. I've seen what some of the really white ones go for.

Factory New is king in general consensus. Of course, opinions may change if people really like scratches on their guns.

The exceptions I can think of are Dragon slayer, Kill Covered.

If you take a look at Dragon Slayers, Battle Scarred is sold for a few hundred of dollars since it is obtained via a glitch (when any other wear can apparently be redeemed).

Kill Covered, as I said depends on other people, I find the Field Tested wear on it to look cool, especially on Rocket Launcher 
https://marketplace.tf/items/tf2/205;11;w3;pk204;kt-1

otherwise, FN is king, maybe Minimal Wear to an extent. 

Macaw masked is still king in FN, its just that finding a *white FN paint or skin is so goddamn exceedingly rare* that you only ever really encounter prices for the MW/FT/WW/BS. Same thing for strange macaws as far as I'm concerned.

As everyone else, FN is king if you're using them to trade.

Personally I end up going with MW because they're often significantly cheaper but still look good. However, if money was no object I would likely get FN for all my skins.

The exception though is skins like the Warhawk Grenade and Rocket Launchers. I prefer those skins in MW as the scratches add to the aesthetics of the weapon as the thing they're based off of (WW2 US Airplanes) would have been scratched and beat up. So in this case I personally think the damage from MW fits perfectly.

Factory New is the king because FN is much more rare than other wears. That's the reason why "skins that look cool with wear" aren't priced differently.

Rarity/scarcity is king in TF2 trading, that's why it's becoming impossible to get most of the 2012-2014 halloween unusual effects for under 300 keys anymore unless you want to settle for the ugliest robo hats known to man.

6 hours ago, Nickman said:

Personally I end up going with MW because they're often significantly cheaper but still look good. However, if money was no object I would likely get FN for all my skins.

The exception though is skins like the Warhawk Grenade and Rocket Launchers. I prefer those skins in MW as the scratches add to the aesthetics of the weapon as the thing they're based off of (WW2 US Airplanes) would have been scratched and beat up. So in this case I personally think the damage from MW fits perfectly.

I wish MW "futuristic" skins like Current Event didn't look like hot garbage with scratches on it and chipped paint
Even the FN keeps the gun's original scratches 💀

8 hours ago, Nickman said:

You aren't kidding that Min Wear is cheaper than fac new. My Min Wear Local hero pistol cost me 3.88 ref, while a fac new would be 1-2 keys. And I like min wear better than the fact new on it

3 hours ago, Gingersnaps said:

You aren't kidding that Min Wear is cheaper than fac new. My Min Wear Local hero pistol cost me 3.88 ref, while a fac new would be 1-2 keys. And I like min wear better than the fact new on it

That's nothing compared to higher end skins. I've had a Strange MW liquid assets sticky since they were new, but one recently sold on the SCM for $90. So approximately 44 keys.

I've looked at possibly upgrading mine to FN (if I could ever find one). Strange fac new liquid assets is priced at 165 keys, and that was 2 years ago.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:25 AM, Slam said:

Factory New is the king because FN is much more rare than other wears.

This is only half-true. Factory New and Battle Scarred have the same rarity.

Archived