Is profit from SCM possible? If so how?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i read in a thread that profit from scm is possible but the only guide i found was back in 2015

i have 3 keys pure and a bit less than a key in steam funds

Stranges with parts, Festivized Stock Stranges, Painted Hats. The only issue you run into is the week long trade lock for items, can make it so you miss a trade window for a high price.

One popular thing I like to do is buy an unusual w/ a high-end effect, such as plasma, burning, overclocked, etc., with a buy order on the bp classifieds and list it on the SCM for higher than people are selling on the classifieds. Occasionally, people will still buy them bc they don't browse the classifieds anyways. Of course, this method requires a high amount of capital to start with, so... idk, buy stranges w/ parts I guess. You can occasionally find them for like a ref or two more on the classifieds than the non-part strange, then relist them on the SCM.

The best way is to just script scm. (it's not really allowed though)

But I guess you can always do warpaints. Not a lot of scripters there, yet...

Get some cheap strange aplied weapons and sell for more, ez. Just becarefull of steam fees

use the include in description feature to search for certain effects, spells, parts, etc. occasionally you can find a good deal but it's far and few between and often takes quite a bit of searching. most of the time with fees and tax it's not worth it, and having to wait a week just adds another major con to it. i would just stick with the classifieds

it seems like scm people are oblivious to bp.tf, the best way to make profit is buy a hat that has a somewhat desireable effect / hat but isn't overly expensive, say a circling heart samur-eye. you could probably barter the bot owner that is selling the only one on the market down to like 35 keys, then list it for like 50 keys worth of steam funds on the scm and I guarantee you someone buys it within a week. works both ways too you can find lots of gems being sold in the 100$-200$ range

5 minutes ago, Watermelon. said:

it seems like scm people are oblivious to bp.tf, the best way to make profit is buy a hat that has a somewhat desireable effect / hat but isn't overly expensive, say a circling heart samur-eye. you could probably barter the bot owner that is selling the only one on the market down to like 35 keys, then list it for like 50 keys worth of steam funds on the scm and I guarantee you someone buys it within a week. works both ways too you can find lots of gems being sold in the 100$-200$ range

In my experience the SCM is loaded with overpriced unusuals. The large difference in price between keys on the SCM and keys from sellers/trade sites is what makes finding deals there tricky. You can occasionally find a good buy but often anything really worth buying that gets listed for a nice price gets snapped up by people running scripts.

52 minutes ago, TheBlackHeavy said:

use the include in description feature to search for certain effects, spells, parts, etc. occasionally you can find a good deal but it's far and few between and often takes quite a bit of searching. most of the time with fees and tax it's not worth it, and having to wait a week just adds another major con to it. i would just stick with the classifieds

One thing to keep in mind if you decide to take this approach, text from custom descriptions will get caught if it matches the search term. There are people who take try to take advantage of this by applying custom descriptions that match a desired quality and list the item for more than it would normally be worth but less than it would be worth if it actually had that quality. For example, someone might take an unusual, describe it with "Halloween: Chromatic Corruption (spell only active during event)" and then list it for higher than normal in hopes of tricking someone who is looking to buy spelled unusuals for cheap off the SCM.

In my experience the SCM is loaded with overpriced unusuals. The large difference in price between keys on the SCM and keys from sellers/trade sites is what makes finding deals there tricky. You can occasionally find a good buy but often anything really worth buying that gets listed for a nice price gets snapped up by people running scripts.

true, literally 99% maybe more of all unusual listings won't bring you a speck of profit, and around 90% of the real deals are instantly picked off by bots. And yet, there's plenty of great deals out there

I remember specifically I bought a searing plasma ritzy rick's for ~100$ CAD which is like 33 keys, and sold it easily for 45, bought an o. fire crone's dome with those keys+ a little extra, and sold that on the market for around 70 keys worth of $, all of this within a week. shit can be a blessing sometimes, and just a waste of time some times

A bunch of people are suggesting stuff that's way out of your range, but for something that's in your range; what I have done and still do here and there when I want some spare change to buy steam cards is flip genuines.  Once in a while, bot sellers here sell some for less than they're worth on the SCM (post-fees) so you can get some small money effectively arbitraging them.

skin flipping is nice, cheap skins (mw) - (fn) cool looking ones sell pretty well, like death deluxe, glacial glazed, hellraised, spectral shimmered, portal plastered.

u list a buy order then list it for sale and its done

I only buy items off market and sell them there. It is very rarely someone will pay more here. 

Things i are buy are stranges with high value parts listed at base price

I just search on market with description added check marked every so often. sometimes you get really lucky or there's not much of anything.

Good parts i search are

like Dealt, Dominations, "headshot kills" extinguished & reflected together, allied healing, "robots destroyed"

People on market will pay a lot for part combos together like dealt and dominations, dealt and headshot, extinguished reflected etc for their collections. 

Paints are good like pink as hell, bitter, tinge, hue, others you can make a little money. 

I also buy pro fabs with combos like fire horns/team shine or tornado/team shine. I make most my money doing this. I upsell the hell out of these cause no one else has them rarely. 

People on market are also a special breed with disposable income. If they want something and you have it they will most often pay any price you have it up for. No negotiating with these kids that want to trade that will nickel and dime you for hours over conversation with trading.

Unusuals are ok but its mostly gambling and can take awhile if your buying them off market. 

If you are just starting, buy painted items at market price, stranges with good parts at market.

Ive been doing this since this year started and i could buy like a steam deck and an index vr now when i started with like 5$.

Archived