Unusual weapons general pricing help

Nahkakakkone

Hey guys!

I’ve been trading for many years now and only recently have I picked up unu weapon trading as it always seemed so unstable and inaccurate that I was instantly pushed away from weps when I see them. I’ve made a few keys here and there from weps the past month but it’s all from cheap stuff(not really buying anything above 30) as I don’t know how to properly price it, I know that most factory new skins and worth what someone is willing to pay for them as they are usually more desired but some general idea and or a few tips would be very helpful ^^ I basically came to the conclusion that the order is Energy Orb>Isotope>Hot/Cool. I mean that’s if the weapon skin isn’t themed anyhow of course. FT, WW and BS are usually not really desired and hard to resell for much above universal buy orders for the wep. Thanks in advance for anyone who’s gonna take some of his time to reply! Cheers 

Unusual weapons are a weird one. You've generally got the right idea when it comes to the effects, but some weapons break the rules. Like, the Tomislav with Isotope is near enough invisible, and from experience I've found it to be a real hard sell. Most weapons don't fetch more than 35 keys if they're not FN or popular, and even then stuff like Brick House can be FN and you'll struggle to get 30.

Themes are insane, way more of a factor than the hat market. Especially green-on-green, Isotope/Alien Tech, Isotope/Clover Camo'd, Isotope Haunted Ghosts, really easy to make a profit on if you can find them even slightly below average. When I used to be a Marketplace seller any combos like that would normally sell for full price within 48 hours, which is plain insane for weapons. Themes trump anything else, that Isotope Tomislav I mentioned earlier? Generally seen as bad, but if it's Haunted Ghosts/Isotope on a Tomislav, then it'll still sell well regardless. - https://backpack.tf/suggestion/5d44462a6780720649110ebb - That $110 sale was me, and I sat on it for less than a week. Isotope Wrenches are awful, the effect is barely visible, but the combo took priority over anything else, and I got an easy sale.

The way you're looking at wears is mostly right, but don't underestimate BS. Don't get me wrong, on garbage, it's not worth noting. But some skins, like Kill Covered, people eat it up. Some people prefer it to FN, they like the blood and stuff. Generally if it's an older, more colour-based over texture-based skin, BS should do pretty well. Also don't overestimate MW. It's generally worth the same and can be just as slow to sell as FT and WW, don't let the "it's closest to FN" mindset fool you. It's still not FN, and that's what most buyers are gonna care about.

TLDR; Weapons are pretty simple. Value is pretty consistent amongst most skins, they're arguably way easier than hats, it's just they're a bit more intimidating up front. Good themes are basically liquid gold. Outside of niche cases, wears don't mean all that much. A really generalised list of priority would be Texture > Effect > Gun > Wear, I guess. Hope mine and any other responses you get help you out.

2 hours ago, Norah said:

Unusual weapons are a weird one. You've generally got the right idea when it comes to the effects, but some weapons break the rules. Like, the Tomislav with Isotope is near enough invisible, and from experience I've found it to be a real hard sell. Most weapons don't fetch more than 35 keys if they're not FN or popular, and even then stuff like Brick House can be FN and you'll struggle to get 30.

Themes are insane, way more of a factor than the hat market. Especially green-on-green, Isotope/Alien Tech, Isotope/Clover Camo'd, Isotope Haunted Ghosts, really easy to make a profit on if you can find them even slightly below average. When I used to be a Marketplace seller any combos like that would normally sell for full price within 48 hours, which is plain insane for weapons. Themes trump anything else, that Isotope Tomislav I mentioned earlier? Generally seen as bad, but if it's Haunted Ghosts/Isotope on a Tomislav, then it'll still sell well regardless. - https://backpack.tf/suggestion/5d44462a6780720649110ebb - That $110 sale was me, and I sat on it for less than a week. Isotope Wrenches are awful, the effect is barely visible, but the combo took priority over anything else, and I got an easy sale.

The way you're looking at wears is mostly right, but don't underestimate BS. Don't get me wrong, on garbage, it's not worth noting. But some skins, like Kill Covered, people eat it up. Some people prefer it to FN, they like the blood and stuff. Generally if it's an older, more colour-based over texture-based skin, BS should do pretty well. Also don't overestimate MW. It's generally worth the same and can be just as slow to sell as FT and WW, don't let the "it's closest to FN" mindset fool you. It's still not FN, and that's what most buyers are gonna care about.

TLDR; Weapons are pretty simple. Value is pretty consistent amongst most skins, they're arguably way easier than hats, it's just they're a bit more intimidating up front. Good themes are basically liquid gold. Outside of niche cases, wears don't mean all that much. A really generalised list of priority would be Texture > Effect > Gun > Wear, I guess. Hope mine and any other responses you get help you out.

Damn, I didn’t expect somebody to actually write such a detailed explanation/opinion :D I’m actually pretty glad you did that, as to bs I’ve never thought that it could actually get someone’s attention but it makes sense with the blood and stuff. Anyways, I was wondering if you’d be okay if I were to add you? To maybe ask some more stuff or even reach out to your opinion if I’m about to buy something more pricey?

Here's what I do:
Does it match my loadout? I offer with intent to keep.
Does it not match my loadout? I don't offer.
Stop ruining TF2 unusuals for people that actually want them for personal use.

I wish people would stop making shitty war paints in the workshop with the hope that something sticks and it gets passed. Some of the shit actually gets passed and we end up with a bunch of digital garbage.

/offtopic

Often I prefer battle scarred or well-worn over field-tested.

Field-tested is just kind of weird. Not "clean" enough to look good nor "beaten up" enough to look "used".

1 hour ago, n_n said:

I wish people would stop making shitty war paints in the workshop with the hope that something sticks and it gets passed. Some of the shit actually gets passed and we end up with a bunch of digital garbage.

/offtopic

Field-tested is just kind of weird. Not "clean" enough to look good nor "beaten up" enough to look "used".

Yeah, sadly it’s true. I mean lately there hasn’t been much good stuff to vote for anyways, not only war paints/skins but in general, just compare old Halloween to latest effs... 

As to wears field-tested really is kinda weird, I mean in cs go you can definitely snag some mw looking ft skins at a decent price but in tf2 it’s just garbage for the most part, haven’t been in touch with god tier skins so far but I see some old energy orbs literally ft or ww sell for absurd prices, I guess the term “limited” just fills the gap xD 

6 hours ago, Nahkakakkone said:

Damn, I didn’t expect somebody to actually write such a detailed explanation/opinion :D I’m actually pretty glad you did that, as to bs I’ve never thought that it could actually get someone’s attention but it makes sense with the blood and stuff. Anyways, I was wondering if you’d be okay if I were to add you? To maybe ask some more stuff or even reach out to your opinion if I’m about to buy something more pricey?

I'd rather not, but mostly because I'm not really an active trader nowadays, I just poke around the forums. The market is gonna shift and I won't be a good source of advice outside of fundamentals, asking discord servers and the forums with more active traders is gonna be more help than me. Like, I only recently found about the insane surge that happened to Unusual Miscs over 2021. What the hell is this economy anymore.

6 hours ago, n_n said:

/offtopic

I find that well worn sells for the lowest, and BS and FT sell for similar amounts. I do like a nice BS myself.

Also, I would say that cool is noticeably a lower tier than hot, especially as a war paint because you can always make a pyro item from a hot war paint. (War paint patterns with an ice or winter theme of course pair well with cool.)

And of course any unusual weapon that is strange is going to be in the neighborhood of 100 keys unless it is an SMG.

Archived