This is a funny graph

Cool Fez

3 hours ago, Cedarium said:

I'm not quite sure what makes a graph funny.

If you look very closely, the lines resemble to look like OP's sense of humour.

5 hours ago, Cedarium said:

I'm not quite sure what makes a graph funny.

4 hours ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

where is the funny

1 hour ago, ah ok said:

where-the-funny-jimmy-neutron.gif

2 hours ago, Cool Fez said:

In about a year the key supply has doubled. That is the funny. It was rly stagnant for a long time.

1 hour ago, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

If you look very closely, the lines resemble to look like OP's sense of humour.

99% sure the joke is that you can set the graph to show price history in terms of supply crate keys, and that the orange line for it fluctuates as to say that one key translated into key price has not always been 1 key.

Though, pretty sure that in this case it just reflects the price of keys in refined metal as to say one key from when keys were worth 30 refined has the buying power of 0.50 keys today or etc. Still though, semi-passable meme, I give it a 4.1/10.

1 hour ago, Slam said:

99% sure the joke is that you can set the graph to show price history in terms of supply crate keys, and that the orange line for it fluctuates as to say that one key translated into key price has not always been 1 key.

Though, pretty sure that in this case it just reflects the price of keys in refined metal as to say one key from when keys were worth 30 refined has the buying power of 0.50 keys today or etc. Still though, semi-passable meme, I give it a 4.1/10.

The op literally replied why he thinks it's funny is that the supply has "doubled" in a ~year.

Maybe the increase in supply can match ref and people can quit making keys are so expensive posts.

19 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

The op literally replied why he thinks it's funny is that the supply has "doubled" in a ~year.

Maybe the increase in supply can match ref and people can quit making keys are so expensive posts.

Then he missed the opportunity of a better joke, rip me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Oh I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to share my expertise because this is exactly my field of study!

I just finished up fairly recently a large research paper analyzing the TF2 economy in the context of keys as a currency, specifically studying what factors influence the value of keys. I wanted to see if keys behave similarly to real-world currencies, in that various factors affect their value. Interestingly, I was able to conclude that some variables do have statistically significant effects on key prices.

However, what is relevant to this thread, is the discovery that the number of keys in existence actually had an incredibly low t-value on the value of keys. Unlike real-world currencies, the number of keys in circulation appears to have a non-statistically significant impact on the value of keys!

It's definitely an unintuitive concept, and I honestly believe the topic needs more study to be able to adequately understand why key prices aren't affected by supply, when something like refined metal so clearly is. One hypothesis is that keys have a 'state-set' value of $2.50 with the Mann Co. Store, but that would only explain why keys shouldn't rise above that value, and a substantial increase to supply should decrease the price. On top of that, if keys are valued below $2.50, how in the world is supply increasing, as that implies people are still buying at the higher Mann Co. price?!

Personally, I believe at least part of the situation can be attributed to imperfect information. A significant chunk of consumers may be unaware of Paypal trading entirely! Imperfect information is a factor that is underemphasized in economic studies of video games due to its relative lack of emphasis in economic studies as a whole, but I think this needs to change, because when a large (often majority) number of consumers are young children, imperfect information is a potentially massive problem.

Also, to touch on the graph itself, backpack.tf graphs aren't super useful when trying to compare old data to the past few years. The old data is a bit funky, and the graphs don't display data that is considered 'weird', leading to strange static price/supply periods, sudden spikes/drops, etc. The amount of work I had to put in to make the data useable was far from zero! It's definitely something I hope is addressed, as better information will make investments more informed, and investors love nothing more than stability and information!

I hope this was informative (or at least mildly interesting)!

1 hour ago, Keroro1454 said:

I just finished up fairly recently a large research paper analyzing the TF2 economy in the context of keys as a currency, specifically studying what factors influence the value of keys.

This sounds really interesting, i'd love to read through it. :)

Is it possible for you to link the paper here?

On 9/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, Brom127 said:

This sounds really interesting, i'd love to read through it. :)

Is it possible for you to link the paper here?

I'll look into a way to put it here, but I don't want to tie my username to my IRL name lol. I'll let you know though :)

Archived