Is this a scam?

mr man

If someone ever adds/comments you to say you "won" something then it is 100% a scam or has the intention of progressing to a scam/phishing attempt. I haven't even seen one of those Steam groups that gives away free games at user milestones since like 2014.

The link itself is legitimate, as it goes to a fan site for the game Cave Story, which includes downloads of the original, free version (of which that link is a direct link to one of them). However, I'd be leery of other links sent by that person, as you didn't win anything here plus it feels more like trying to soften you up to eventually click a link to a phishing site.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this post is old, but like real-life scams, don't fall for these huge red flags like this. Especially when you know for sure that you never join any type of giveaway. Always remember "If something seems exciting, pleasing or ideal, then it likely isn't genuine, legitimate, or true." or in other words, too good to be true. If it happens to be a legit site and u actually won something, cool! But 9 times out of 10 is most definitely a scam. 

Never ever EVER click on a link for ANYONE. It’s either a hacker sending you a phishing link, or your friend sending you a Rick Roll. 

Archived